Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-21-2023, 02:57 PM   #61
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Besides, if I'm going on vacation, I always bring a spare reader with me, both loaded with all of the same books.
On the one hand, that feels like overkill. On the other, I already know when I pack for trips later this year, this conversation will be in the back of my mind...
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:57 PM   #62
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
A big advantage of paper over ebooks is layout size and shape/aspect ratio.
Also cut-outs and folding.
Serious folding maps like UK Ordinance Survey for hiking.
Poetry is an example where I think paper is better.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2023, 03:01 PM   #63
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
One great thing ereaders have done for me is open the door to thousands of books that are out of print in paper, but available in public domain as ebooks. It's like finding a hidden library floor that I never knew existed!
I bought an ereader for two reasons originally:
1) To read PD ebooks, which I'd been downloading intermittently for over a decade and even reformatted to read on an Archos 605 PMP.
2) To proof read new novels without the massive cost of ink/toner and paper.

Gradually the ratio of paper books to ebooks of recent titles purchased has changed over the last 10 years, faster since switching from 6″ Paperwhite 3, to 7″ and now 8″ Sage. Wife prefers buying ebooks now.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 03:19 PM   #64
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Poetry is an example where I think paper is better.
Illustrated books, like the original version of Stardust with the Charles Vess illustrations.

Even before ebooks were a thing, I realized that I personally valued the small, portable mass market paperback to a large, illustrated tome.
Old 03-21-2023, 03:42 PM   #65
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Not so much public domain (though I do love those) but I appreciate old, OOP genre books being readily available again as ebooks. No need to haunt used book stores or eBay. And now the author gets another chance to make a few bucks off their old work. It's a win/win.
Open Road Media specializes in these!
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2023, 04:11 PM   #66
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Open Road Media specializes in these!
Yeah, there's a few small-fry publishers doing this. Open Road, Piccadilly Publishing, Valencourt Books...
Old 03-21-2023, 04:21 PM   #67
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
There's plenty of articles out there that are exactly this:
They are almost always worded the same way (physical books have notes from grandma, a certain smell, you can see how far into the book you are, etc.). They likely stem more from a reporter having a deadline than any actual preference.
The first one struck me as thoughtful and experience based, but was solely about the mechanics of authorship and had nothing to do with the ebook reading experience of anyone not the author or editor of the work. If the title can be considered a headline/conclusion, it is a complete non sequitur that does not follow from the content in any way.

Maybe the last link is a humor piece since it lists waiting for the download as an ebook disadvantage.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:23 PM   #68
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They are almost always worded the same way (physical books have notes from grandma, a certain smell, you can see how far into the book you are, etc.). They likely stem more from a reporter having a deadline than any actual preference.
The last one cracked me up. Especially the complaint about running out of room on the eReader just a few paragraphs after mentioning overflowing bookshelves.
Old 03-21-2023, 04:30 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Surgeon General's WARNING! Paper books cause cancer!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:31 PM   #70
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Surgeon General's WARNING! Paper books cause cancer!
Let me guess, "known to the the state of California..."

(The thought of items becoming carcinogenic only after crossing an arbitrary political border will never fail to amuse me.)
Old 03-21-2023, 04:32 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Let me guess, "the state of California..."

(The thought of items becoming carcinogenic only after crossing an arbitrary political border will never fail to amuse me.)
One ting can happen to pBooks a lot easier. They can get moldy. Also, you can get paper cuts.
Old 03-21-2023, 04:48 PM   #72
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One ting can happen to pBooks a lot easier. They can get moldy. Also, you can get paper cuts.
I once got an inflammation of the thumb joint because I held a heavy doorstopper in my hand for hours. Has never happened with ereaders.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 05:36 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I once got an inflammation of the thumb joint because I held a heavy doorstopper in my hand for hours. Has never happened with ereaders.
Stands don't work well with pBooks.
Old 03-21-2023, 05:47 PM   #74
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
The last one cracked me up. Especially the complaint about running out of room on the eReader just a few paragraphs after mentioning overflowing bookshelves.
That pont 6 made me feel sorry for the article author. They celarly have a dial-up connection since they have to wait and watch the download wheel spin when downloading AN EBOOK
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 08:28 PM   #75
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Let me guess, "known to the the state of California..."

We had to have one of those signs on the door of the (data center) UPS battery room because of the Lead (submerged in 5 gal of Battery ACID) for the racks of 1000lb batteries
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote