Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-30-2023, 10:01 PM   #46
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It is perhaps also unwise to simply delete the least-desirable books from your collection without sufficient self reflection, first. After all, if you bought so many books that you know you'll never read all of them, and if you can easily select the books you're least likely to read in your library, then you may wish to look for commonalities among those books, so you can avoid purchasing such books again in the future, which would necessitate a repeat of the purging process, and waste more money.

If you're locked in a cycle of impulse buying books and then deleting them, it suggests you need to do more than a little spring cleaning: you need to refine your purchasing habits.
Many of us acquired a lot of Kindle/Kobo freebies 10+ years ago when there were a lot of those and the whole "free book" (and self-publishing) thing was still relatively new. I'll probably never read most of those, but I'm still not going to outright delete them.

As to the rest, I know I'll never read all of them simply because I'm not likely to live 500 or 1000 years; if I did, I would probably read most of them.

Last edited by Sirtel; 08-30-2023 at 10:05 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 10:23 PM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Are you an ebook hoarder?
Are you looking to break the vicious cycle of obtaining ebooks faster than you can read them?
We have the thread for you!
Join your fellow ebook addicts in the Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2023, 10:28 PM   #48
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Are you an ebook hoarder?
Are you looking to break the vicious cycle of obtaining ebooks faster than you can read them?
Yes to first; no to second. I'm an addict and perfectly content with my addiction. I have no desire to get rid of it.
Old 08-31-2023, 12:48 AM   #49
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Many of us acquired a lot of Kindle/Kobo freebies 10+ years ago when there were a lot of those and the whole "free book" (and self-publishing) thing was still relatively new. I'll probably never read most of those, but I'm still not going to outright delete them.
Guilty, but then I’m a completist. If the author is any good and later makes the reading cut, then I have the early works to hand without having to find them in the less savory corners of the internet if not republished. Otherwise, they sit in Calibre unless I’m feeling masochistic. This is why I have 2 tags in Calibre: @SEND and @DO NOT SEND. I mostly use them for duplicate copies or massive PDFs.

The other issue I have are RPG PDFs. 99% of those are sitting in the cloud unread and only catalogued in LibraryThing and RPGGeek. I still have a bunch of folders to clean up. I often buy because I like the premise and want to mine the background, or because the physical copies I own are seriously rare and live in archive bags or because I was never aware of their existence when they were available physically.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 04:48 AM   #50
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Yes to first; no to second. I'm an addict and perfectly content with my addiction. I have no desire to get rid of it.
/me cheers
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2023, 12:51 PM   #51
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Storage: I highly recommend having your ebooks stored at home, in the cloud and offsite. You never know when you will become the victim of a flood, fire, burglar, ended relationship or inquisitive toddler. Don't rely on clouds as they can disappear over night just like those fluffy things in the sky. I have mine on my computer, on Google Drive, backup hard drive, on a hard drive stored elsewhere and on a couple of flash drives. Those drives can then go to your interested family should you expire.

I don't actually feel bad about my hoarding although I'm trying to limit it so that I can actually finish what I've bought. While some books randomly come down in price on discount, the cost of books have gone up a lot. Most of my huge library still unread individually cost $2.99 or less. Still, searching for books and buying them has almost become a separate hobby that I need to tame.

Last edited by Tarana; 08-31-2023 at 01:17 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 01:25 PM   #52
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Those drives can then go to your interested family should you expire.
I doubt any of us here have (m)any family members interested in inheriting our ebook libraries.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 01:28 PM   #53
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I doubt any of us here have (m)any family members interested in inheriting our ebook libraries.
Certainly none in my case.
Old 08-31-2023, 02:19 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Frankly, I fail to see the point in getting rid of ebooks. Paper books, obviously; they take up real, physical space you could use for other purposes. But the amount of space ebooks occupy is negligible; why bother?

I've accepted the fact that I never, ever read all or even most of my ebooks. So what? I still like to pick and choose among them for my next read. As all my books are meticulously tagged, categorized and organized in Calibre, it's not hard to find what I want, no matter the overall amount. Now if I had to rely on Amazon or Kobo for library management, perhaps I'd want to have as few books as possible, too. Fortunately I don't have to.
What I would do is create another calibre library and move books I think I might not read over to this new library.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 03:22 PM   #55
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I could not even get my sister to try my Kindle4. (and she was the one in the family with a Phd ) She did
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 03:33 PM   #56
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I would do is create another calibre library and move books I think I might not read over to this new library.
I want to be able to search across my whole library, so I won't do that. Besides, most of my library consists of books I'd actually like to read, but probably won't unless someone invents rejuvenation in my lifetime. The books I'm fairly sure I don't want to read are a minority.

I do have a separate, much smaller library, where I copy the books I absolutely want to read in my remaining lifetime; there are about 3,000 books in that. I populate my ereaders from this smaller library. My main library still has master copies of those books.
Old 08-31-2023, 07:18 PM   #57
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I do have a separate, much smaller library, where I copy the books I absolutely want to read in my remaining lifetime; there are about 3,000 books in that. I populate my ereaders from this smaller library. My main library still has master copies of those books.
Hah! Much less separates us than it would seem. We may have different methods for handling (and naming) dross, but dross it be.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 04:07 PM   #58
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
My confession

I have almost 12000 ebooks, all in Calibre. When we moved, I got rid of at least 50 boxes of books, that I used to buy on Fridays to read when I was retired and living on dog food. But I love to read in bed, and a kindle makes that so much easier.

My real hording is yarn. I bought that mostly while I was working so I would have something to do when I was retired and eating dog food. I have SABLE, which is stash beyond life expectancy. In other word, unless I live to 200, I won't knit it all up. I haven't seen this yarn for 3 years, as it is in storage while we build our new house, not out of dog food. Unfortunately, out of sight out of mind, I keep buying yarn.

Yarn has led to another problem. Audible. I have never listened to books on tape except while driving, but I have a bunch of really hard knitting to do, that will not work with TV.

And I drink, but don't smoke.

I don't consider my Calibre or Audible to be a problem. I rarely buy ebooks, so it is just computer space. I joined Audible, and I need to buy 1 book a month, which isn't hard.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 04:35 PM   #59
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
My real hording is yarn. I bought that mostly while I was working so I would have something to do when I was retired and eating dog food. I have SABLE, which is stash beyond life expectancy. In other word, unless I live to 200, I won't knit it all up. I haven't seen this yarn for 3 years, as it is in storage while we build our new house, not out of dog food. Unfortunately, out of sight out of mind, I keep buying yarn.
Ravelry
https://www.ravelry.com

Likely some there have yarn hoarders that make you look like a beginner. Maybe hordes of hoarders.

Or maybe you only come here when not on Ravelry.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 06:40 PM   #60
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Yup, that would be me, they aren't hurting anyone, and I might get around to reading all of them. At least they will be there for me to do so!

I subscribe to the I'd rather have them/it and not need/want them/it rather than not have them at all!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote