Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2022, 06:07 AM   #556
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur
PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
About the Robot Serif. I have downloaded the Robot Serif but there are too much versions of the font.

I have folders like

Quote:
RobotoSerif
RobotoSerif_28pt
RobotoSerif_36pt
RobotoSerif_48pt
RobotoSerif_72pt
RobotoSerif_120pt
Besides that, each of one of those has some variants

Quote:
RobotoSerif_Condensed
RobotoSerif_SemiCondensed
RobotoSerif_UltraCondensed
RobotoSerif_Expanded
RobotoSerif_SemiExpanded
RobotoSerif_UltraExpanded
I understand that on my computer I can install just the variable font and make it a day but what about the Kobo? Which one should I use and what the 36pt or 72pt means?

Thank you!
PunkyKoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 06:13 AM   #557
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I've been using EBGaramond for a while now. Attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip EBGaramond.zip (1.08 MB, 198 views)
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2022, 04:39 PM   #558
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkyKoopa View Post
About the Robot Serif. I have downloaded the Robot Serif but there are too much versions of the font.

I have folders like

Besides that, each of one of those has some variants

I understand that on my computer I can install just the variable font and make it a day but what about the Kobo? Which one should I use and what the 36pt or 72pt means?

Thank you!
I use: RobotoSerif-Regular.ttf - RobotoSerif-Italic.ttf - RobotoSerif-Bold.ttf - RobotoSerif-BoldItalic.ttf and it works well.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 03:20 AM   #559
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur
PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Yes, it looks very well on the Kobo.

I like to try new fonts regularly and I wonder how much user added fonts can I import. Is there a limit? I have like 8 or so.
PunkyKoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 11:38 AM   #560
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Hello everyone! I'd like to try a very good serif font for long reading sessions, more condensed than "noto serif". Or is noto serif the best choice? May you suggest me a couple of fonts?

Many thanks
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2022, 03:36 PM   #561
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
Hello everyone! I'd like to try a very good serif font for long reading sessions, more condensed than "noto serif". Or is noto serif the best choice? May you suggest me a couple of fonts?
Many thanks
Actually, though I mostly prefer serif fonts, for very long texts (eg a book with a 3 pages long paragraph) I prefer a sans font, Roboto, which I found on fontsquirrel. It is also the font I use for the Calibre catalogue.

EDIT: Tinos, also from fontsquirrel, is a narrow serif font. Too much for my old eyes, but yours might like it.

Last edited by anacreon; 11-02-2022 at 03:40 PM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 06:54 PM   #562
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Many thanks
You may like ChareInk. It's a narrow serif font. It has kerning and ligatures. When you do download it to try, pick the unweighted hinted version. That works well with a Kobo as you can increase the weight to what you prefer.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 08:36 AM   #563
gogu1904
Connoisseur
gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One LE
May I ask, as ChareInk is based on Charis v5, and Charis v6.101 is out with option to have condensed line spacing, how the new Charis compares with your ChareInk in terms ofthe work you have done to improve over Charis v5?
gogu1904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 09:32 AM   #564
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogu1904 View Post
May I ask, as ChareInk is based on Charis v5, and Charis v6.101 is out with option to have condensed line spacing, how the new Charis compares with your ChareInk in terms ofthe work you have done to improve over Charis v5?
ChareInk is based on Charis SIL v5.x. I might give a try with v6. But that depends if the kerning tables work well enough or not when copied over.

On a Kindle, this condensed line spacing is not going to work all that well. ChareInk is specifically designed to have a smaller line height when used with KF8. Plus, it's not as thick as Bookerly. So you get more text on screen.
Old 11-04-2022, 08:15 PM   #565
gogu1904
Connoisseur
gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One LE
Thank you!
gogu1904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 02:44 AM   #566
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks JSWolf, I used ChareInk a lot and it is one of the best fonts I ever seen. Maybe the best balanced choice. Now I wanna try something more condensed
Old 11-05-2022, 03:01 AM   #567
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader

Using the more condensed forms of fonts, I experienced an increasing fluency in the readings.
I was wondering how much I can push at the narrowness of a fonts without causing eyestrain. I am looking for a serif font that is both well condensed, readable, and enough "eyes-safe"
The best I could find was Apple Garamond: what do you think of it?
Might you suggest me anything better? Thanks for your attention

Last edited by Owl_; 11-05-2022 at 03:13 AM.
Old 11-05-2022, 04:51 AM   #568
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Could someone please identify this font?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E17972B6-79A2-43D0-85DA-696ABFEF91E9.jpeg
Views:	262
Size:	330.0 KB
ID:	197537  
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:37 AM   #569
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Could someone please identify this font?
Maybe Caslon?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:45 AM   #570
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks JSWolf, I used ChareInk a lot and it is one of the best fonts I ever seen. Maybe the best balanced choice. Now I wanna try something more condensed
More condensed in what way? Line height for Kindle or more more characters per line?