Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: What are your three most wanted features for the next Nook update?
The ability to choose a unified B&N and My Documents library 41 45.05%
The ability to create folders and sub-folders 65 71.43%
Coverflow for all books 30 32.97%
The ability to change dictionary 5 5.49%
The ability to delete documents 25 27.47%
In line dictionary that doesn’t leave the page 15 16.48%
Screensaver is always the cover of the book last opened 11 12.09%
Support for more ebook formats (.doc, html, etc.) 21 23.08%
Additional font sizes 5 5.49%
When looking up words, the cursor originates in center of page 4 4.40%
Extend “Lend Me” to more than once 13 14.29%
The ability to search within books 9 9.89%
Landscape view 26 28.57%
The ability to export highlights/notes 4 4.40%
An SDK for 3rd party applications 12 13.19%
A bookmark list with links for highlights/notes 5 5.49%
A percentage meter to show book progress in library view 10 10.99%
The option to have a password to wake up Nook 3 3.30%
A list and links to the last 5 books opened 15 16.48%
Show B&W book cover icon in library 10 10.99%
A notes application 11 12.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2010, 05:10 AM   #31
druzyek
druzyek began at the beginning.

Device: nook
@GreenMonkey, haha, my sister used to check out at least 15 books when we went to the library and read all of them in a week. I usually did good to get through 3 of mine, although we tend to read different kinds of books.

That said, I find the 50 or so I have to be a reasonable amount to read in a year since I have a few longer ones on there like Ulysses and The Count of Monte Cristo. I am reading The Stand now. I doubt many people can go through books like that in 2-3 days.
druzyek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:49 AM   #32
LorenzL
LorenzL began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
- better file organisation: folders, tags, search function, cover flow for user documents, delete function, etc. --> should not be so hard to program
- nook marketplace: 3rd party applications for the nook (I know there is softroot, I'm just talking about official apps)
- even faster page turns
- enhanced pdf support - no reflow but zoom?
LorenzL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #33
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Now, I am a bit rare, since I like to frequently re-read my books. It would be nice if the Nook kept track of the last time you read each book, and allowed one to do a sort by age, so you can see which book was last read the longest time ago.

It would also be nice if it kept track of re-read popularity. Sort like the way the iPod music player does it.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:23 AM   #34
rotifera
rotifera began at the beginning.

Another vote for better handling of notes and highlights. At the very least, automatically create a bookmark for each highlight to make it easy to find later.

Another easy tweak that would improve the experience a lot would be to make navigation circular -- if I'm at the top of the screen, I should be able to cycle around to the bottom by touching the up arrow.
rotifera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #35
RyanMWilliams
Author
RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
Now, I am a bit rare, since I like to frequently re-read my books. It would be nice if the Nook kept track of the last time you read each book, and allowed one to do a sort by age, so you can see which book was last read the longest time ago.

It would also be nice if it kept track of re-read popularity. Sort like the way the iPod music player does it.
I'd like this too.

I think some sort of tagging/filtering option would address my needs. If I could tag books and then just filter to, say a series. Or unread books, etc. Tagging and filtering could make it very easy to locate books on the device. The whole B&N vs My Documents I find annoying. It's all ebooks to me, but if they were tagged by default then it'd be easy to just filter to the B&N books. Or filter to library books with an expiration date. That sort of thing would be great.

I'd also like it if my Nook wouldn't lock up as much as it does. It isn't real often, but more frequently than I'd like. Maybe I'm just impatient but after I 'wake up' the Nook sometimes I can't turn pages with either swipe or buttons. Then I have to turn it completely off and back on for it to work.
RyanMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #36
curio
Enthusiast
curio began at the beginning.

Device: nook Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotifera View Post
Another easy tweak that would improve the experience a lot would be to make navigation circular -- if I'm at the top of the screen, I should be able to cycle around to the bottom by touching the up arrow.
Yes! That, or make it start in the middle.
curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:19 AM   #37
dharh
dharh began at the beginning.

Device: nook,ipad,netbook
If it were an option or a setting to combine B&N Library and My Library that'd be the best of both worlds. At the very least the index listing should look the same in both B&N Library and My Library. The My Library listing atm sucks.

A simple search would do wonders for larger libraries.

Better notes and annotations for books.

Being able to create documents! Or just notes really. It'd have to be a very simple function, but it would be cool (see below).

Being able to send notes and documents that will show up in daily or My Documents or a whole new category like Shared Documents/Notes.

Better handling of PDF files. If that requires a zoom function or more font settings then so be it. PDFs are a hit or miss atm.

Definitely a few more formats should be supported. HTML and pure TXT. That would require some interesting handling, but could be done if it read file names as document names for these files.

More ebooks! It's sad when you have authors you really love and see they only have such and such books but not others that you really love. Or for some strange reason have book 4 in ebook but not book 1-3. 0.o Or none at all.

Last edited by dharh; 07-31-2010 at 04:50 AM.
dharh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:27 AM   #38
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
Anyone hear anything about WHEN 1.5 is coming out?
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:44 AM   #39
LorenzL
LorenzL began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyfromVA View Post
Anyone hear anything about WHEN 1.5 is coming out?
Yeah, I'd be curious too. Does B&N give us any info about planned updates and new features? Is there a fixed release strategy like 3x major updates per year or something?
LorenzL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #40
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
The Nook software for the iPhone has this feature. It shows a little circle, and as you read through the book, it changes to a pie chart of what percentage is read. When you're done, the circle is full.

The Nook software for teh iPhone also has little hatch marks within the status bar showing where chapters are, which I find helpful in estimating how much I've got to go before a stopping point.

Frankly, I'm continually dumbfounded at the fact that all the e-Ink devices have more rudimentary software than the PDA and smartphone reading software. Why did they all start from scratch when there are perfectly good software options out there? Especially when Amazon bought Mobi and Stanza, and B&N bought eReader!
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #41
Starearedkid
Starearedkid is on a distinguished road

I would like an option to combine My Library and My Documents I actually went in to the documents folder and forgot about all the books I have there! At least this way they would both be visible simultaneously to me.

I also would like a list of 5 books I am currently reading. Many times I jump from book to book. (Right now I am reading three) and it is a pain in the neck to search and have to re-find my book. (Especially when I have over 200 books on my Nook)

Which brings me to the next point, better organization. I am a librarian, and well lets just say I like having things organized. LOL. I would love to be able to make my own folders for different books I was reading.
Starearedkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #42
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
I started up this thread in the hopes that B&N techs or product management would be monitoring.

I work in the industry and I like to have things structured (i.e., regular release cycles, etc.). However, a lot of companies don't work that way.

As a consumer, my thinking is that I would rather have my expectation set for a certain date. If you are going to miss that date, let me know in advance. No big deal. It makes me a part of the work and gets my support.

However, a lot of companies take the opposite tack and keep customers in the dark and surprise them.

No big deal. Either way, I think we've seen good updates from B&N.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #43
abjdiat
Enthusiast
abjdiat began at the beginning.

for me I would like to see an update where nookdev improvements and addons already implemented in the offican B&N update,,
Extra features
- circular percentage icon in front of books in "My Documents" indicate the reading progress
-ability to add third-party dictionaries or a list to choose from
-turn on/off 3G and wi-fi option to save some of battery life..
-ability to sort and tag books directly from the device
-more fonts esp. with PDF books..
-Landscape mode would be amazing
That's it
abjdiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #44
wowamyjo
wowamyjo began at the beginning.

I'm avoiding calling Barnes and Noble and wanted to know why my latest ebook purchases are not showing up in my library on my nook (what I call my "nookie"). I plugged in the USB to nook and get some message about disconnecting it while charging...blah, blah, blah. Then, I tried to get my ebooks by going to B&N My Account, my library to no avail. Yes, they came in my email box. Yes, I bought them. Do I really need to call? Ugh.
wowamyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #45
AlexRaRe
AlexRaRe began at the beginning.

Device: Nook (Wi-Fi only) / 32GB iPod Touch
I don't know if someone has ever think of it as a possibility, but I would like to see a security feature on the nook. You know, like a passcode for waking it up or buying stuff.

I comment this because it has already happened to me once that a friend was looking at it and accidentally purchased a book.
AlexRaRe is offline   Reply With Quote