Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-26-2022, 01:34 PM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
ETA: In regard to the K2US, didn’t Amazon already offer some kind of deal when they got rid of 3G? In which case, they may figure there’s no point to double-dipping. But I could be hallucinating.
It's possible. I admit I don't pay that close attention. But I'm fairly certain the 2nd generation international devices were 3G-only as well. If they already got rid of 3G, surely those devices were already cut off from accessing/browsing the store, no?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:36 PM   #32
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It's possible. I admit I don't pay that close attention. But I'm fairly certain the 2nd generation international devices were 3G-only as well. If they already got rid of 3G, surely those devices were already cut off from accessing/browsing the store, no?
The International devices were 3G + WiFi, I believe.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2022, 01:42 PM   #33
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Interesting that the K2US is left out of this list (considering that it's older than the International versions). The US-only version did use a different carrier for their 3G than the Internationals, so maybe that has something to do with it. *shrug*
3G is going away in the US but not in some other countries, so in the US it won't matter that the built in store access won't work since the device won't have wireless connectivity.

Quote:
ETA: In regard to the K2US, didn’t Amazon already offer some kind of deal when they got rid of 3G? In which case, they may figure there’s no point to double-dipping. But I could be hallucinating.
I don't recall that. Do you know approximately when that offer was made?

I also don't recall amazon explicitly dropping 3G, although the carriers seem to be well along in shutting down service.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:45 PM   #34
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't think there were ever any K2 or KDX models with wifi.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:49 PM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I don't think there were ever any K2 or KDX models with wifi.
Pretty certain j.p.s. has the right of this. The 2nd generation internationals had no wifi. I don't think it came along until the 3rd generation of Kindles.
Advert
Old 05-26-2022, 01:53 PM   #36
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't recall that. Do you know approximately when that offer was made?

I also don't recall amazon explicitly dropping 3G, although the carriers seem to be well along in shutting down service.
I’m you’re right that it was just that when carriers shut down 3G the devices would cease to be able to connect to Amazon. As for the offers, they differed. I know people posted about them here. Some got a free Kindle Oasis; others got a similar deal to the current one, a discount off a new device plus ebook credit. Sometime last summer?
Old 05-26-2022, 01:57 PM   #37
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Here’s the thread when the end of cellular service was discussed here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=340907
Old 05-26-2022, 02:00 PM   #38
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
3G is going away in the US but not in some other countries, so in the US it won't matter that the built in store access won't work since the device won't have wireless connectivity.
That makes a bit of sense. At least for why the K2 Internationals are on the list for imminent store access removal, but are also lumped in with those devices that can still have content pushed to them via their 3G radios. There's a chance that in countries where 3G isn't being shut down, they might still function.

But it's also fair to say that US users of K2 Internationals can't hope to buy new content on other devices and push it to their 3G-only devices for very long. No 3G is no 3G.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:14 PM   #39
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
That makes a bit of sense. At least for why the K2 Internationals are on the list for imminent store access removal, but are also lumped in with those devices that can still have content pushed to them via their 3G radios. There's a chance that in countries where 3G isn't being shut down, they might still function.

But it's also fair to say that US users of K2 Internationals can't hope to buy new content on other devices and push it to their 3G-only devices for very long. No 3G is no 3G.
The US-users of K2 Internationals might be the double-dippers I invoked earlier, assuming they got the upgrade deal the other cellular devices got a year ago. This is when the date qualification for the current offer kicks in; if Amazon can see they’ve still been directly accessing Kindle content within the relevant time frame, they’re good for another offer. Because unlike all those whose registered devices hit the landfill long ago (tsk!) but whose devices were still listed on their account, there can be only a minuscule number of US-based International owners who were still active phoners-home in the last six months or whatever. For that matter, if they activated the offer last year they may be OOL this time anyway.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:17 PM   #40
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Here’s the thread when the end of cellular service was discussed here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=340907
Thanks, so avoiding double dipping is a plausible motive for withoulding the offer.
(But I think it would be easy enough for them to check for someone trying to do so.)
Old 05-26-2022, 02:41 PM   #41
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Thanks, so avoiding double dipping is a plausible motive for withoulding the offer.
Or the Occam’s Razor explanation, that the K2US owners weren’t losing any functionality anyway. Obviously I was guessing on the fly and not thinking this through.

Quote:
(But I think it would be easy enough for them to check for someone trying to do so.)
…and I suspect double-dippers didn’t get the email at that.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:04 PM   #42
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
I received the mail today. My Kindle 3 international was connected to wi-fi in March. Note that my version is wi-fi only, no 3G. When I bought it, the 3G version cost US$49 extra, so I chose the cheaper wi-fi only version.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:42 PM   #43
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I have kindle keyboards and received the email. Waiting on Father's Day sale to stack the discount along with the ebook credit. I have not purchased anything through my kindles since at least 2014 and that was because my late brother did not have wifi (I have a keyboard with 3g).
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 03:49 AM   #44
Canis_lupus
Enthusiast
Canis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmos

Device: K2, K3, Touch, K5B, Voyage, PW4, Oasis 1, 2 & 3, PW5
Quote:
I suspect the emails have everything to do with when was the last time the device was connected to WiFi and interacted with Amazon in terms of downloading or reading status. In my case, it was the middle of February. So, six months? A year? Because from Amazon’s POV there’s no reason to offer a deal on a device that is moribund; being registered to your account is a necessary condition but not sufficient in itself.

It might be interesting to try to narrow down the date, which is why I cited my own. Just over three months from the date of the email.
Mine have not connected to WiFi or 3G in years (second generation Kindle, three Kindle Keyboards and two 5th generation and a DX). I did receive the e-mail.
Canis_lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:56 PM   #45
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
https://www.techradar.com/news/a-new...my-pc-any-more

This is interesting, are they referring to the recent UI change or are they referring to the rumored store UI change...? Or what?
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote