Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-13-2020, 04:18 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If your ePub is DRM free, you can load it int he Calibre editor and edit the CSS and change where it shows...
Code:
text-align: justify;
to
Code:
text-align: left;
But before you do that, do you really want to do that because of some study? There are studies that say this or that makes reading easier and they are rubbish. For example, there's a thread on here about a font that's said to make it easier and faster to read and that is rubbish. So don't take all studies as true. Try left justify and try full justify (with hyphenation) and see what you feel works best for you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:20 PM   #32
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonSkidSurface View Post
I just now got a free book from B&N, opened Nook for PC, and found the files where they should be (7 total). None are .epub, and Calibre couldn't do anything with any of them. So..things have changed.
I just got a free book from B&N (Unwanted: Dead or Alive), downloaded using the Nook Windows 10 app and the ePub is where it should be. Pleasantly surprised to find it's DRM free. Sigil was able to open the ePub before I bothered importing it to Calibre.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2020, 09:17 AM   #33
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
I was shocked as I read this thread, because in the not-so-distant past, I simply opened PC Nook and then the book files would be in the location mentioned above. I just now got a free book from B&N, opened Nook for PC, and found the files where they should be (7 total). None are .epub, and Calibre couldn't do anything with any of them. So..things have changed. I guess if you buy a book you don't really buy it at all.
Nonskidsurface...

Maybe I'm reading more into this, but are you using the Nook for PC app (which is the old version that, for me at least, does not work anymore.

The windows 10 app was renamed to Nook Reading App.

I just purchased two books from B&N, downloaded them using the Nook App, and the epubs were in the proper folder....
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:00 PM   #34
NonSkidSurface
Enthusiast
NonSkidSurface began at the beginning.

Device: Palm T/X, Treo 700p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Nonskidsurface...

Maybe I'm reading more into this, but are you using the Nook for PC app (which is the old version that, for me at least, does not work anymore.

The windows 10 app was renamed to Nook Reading App.

I just purchased two books from B&N, downloaded them using the Nook App, and the epubs were in the proper folder....
The app i have is "Nook - Books, Magazines, Newspapers, Comics". I just checked Microsoft Store, and that indicates I'm using the latest version.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
NonSkidSurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:59 PM   #35
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
That is strange... You should be seeing the epubs.....
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2020, 07:20 PM   #36
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I just purchased 2 Nook books, used the Nook app to download the books and found them at C:\Users\myuser\AppData\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva3 1enc. They file names were all numerical, but they were epubs and when I imported them into Calibre, the titles were there and everything worked fine.

Edit: As a side note, in Windows File Explorer, I saved the location for the Nook books in the quick access section so that I can quickly find the downloads.

Last edited by Rich_D; 04-24-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:09 AM   #37
GracieAllen
Enthusiast
GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Nexus 9
So far, my solution has worked well - buy the e-books elsewhere. Three weeks ago got 11 e-books. Yesterday, got 8 more. They ALL downloaded, all showed up in the expected folder, and all work fine.
Wife is happy and can read books, I'm happy and don't have to deal with whatever bizarreness was going on with B&N, and B&N has enough money not to care about losing another customer.
GracieAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:25 AM   #38
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieAllen View Post
B&N has enough money not to care about losing another customer.
B&N thinks so, too.

They're wrong.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:43 AM   #39
GracieAllen
Enthusiast
GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Nexus 9
There are too many sources for e-books these days to deal with a problematic or difficult vendor. Even in quarantine with time on my hands, or maybe ESPECIALLY in quarantine with time on my hands!

When places like Amazon are offering free months of Kindle Unlimited and other special prices on ebooks, it's even harder to keep going through the bother to deal with B&Ns convoluted process.

So, I don't. As always, they're big kids and it's their sandbox. They can run it any way they want, and I can find what I want elsewhere. And between the domestic associate and I, we go through a LOT of books, especially right now while we're house-bound and daytime TV is so execrable...
GracieAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:03 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieAllen View Post
There are too many sources for e-books these days to deal with a problematic or difficult vendor. Even in quarantine with time on my hands, or maybe ESPECIALLY in quarantine with time on my hands!

When places like Amazon are offering free months of Kindle Unlimited and other special prices on ebooks, it's even harder to keep going through the bother to deal with B&Ns convoluted process.

So, I don't. As always, they're big kids and it's their sandbox. They can run it any way they want, and I can find what I want elsewhere. And between the domestic associate and I, we go through a LOT of books, especially right now while we're house-bound and daytime TV is so execrable...
Yes daytime TV can be rubbish. But what I do is watch what I've recorded on the DVR. Also, I can watch movies. I have a lot of choices an I'm not stuck with daytime TV.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote