Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 06:16 PM   #31
varlog
actually it is /var/log
varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs t1
I've just checked: lots of python but development tools seem not to be there (Ubuntu 14.04 64bit). I can use plugins.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #32
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The two plugins I've installed for Sigil are for Python 2. I do not have any developer tools installed and the one plugin I did try worked as advertised.
Then why this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu to crutledge View Post

Did you install Python from the official website? If so you might be missing some required libraries. You may want to uninstall your version and install ActivePython, which will install everything that you need.

I note that Sigil 0.8.0 auto installs the 2013 C++ Re-distributable package (I think), personally I would rather it didn't do that automatically, and give me the option of doing it manually, perhaps with a link to where to get it.

Maybe the Sigil Forum needs to have a Developers Sub-forum and a Users Sub-forum - the plug-in threads could be sticky's in the latter.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-28-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Advert
Old 09-28-2014, 06:39 PM   #33
blackest
Connoisseur
blackest began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 2
0.80 for osx 10.7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by varlog View Post
blackest hmmm?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwT...it?usp=sharing

hopefully that link should work
Old 09-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The version of Python I have installed is from the OFFICIAL website at python.org. I have pycrypto installed, but that's about it. The version I have a 2.7.6 32-bit.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #35
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@JSWolf - what happens if you uninstall that version of Python, do the plugins still work?

BR
Advert
Old 09-28-2014, 06:48 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@JSWolf - what happens if you uninstall that version of Python, do the plugins still work?

BR
I would say the plugins would not work as you do have to specify where your installation(s) of Python is/are in the plugin setup.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:51 PM   #37
poxalew
poxalew can program the VCR without an owner's manual.poxalew can program the VCR without an owner's manual.poxalew can program the VCR without an owner's manual.poxalew can program the VCR without an owner's manual.poxalew can program the VCR without an owner's manual.poxalew can program the VCR without an owner's manual.poxalew can program the VCR without an owner's manual.poxalew can program the VCR without an owner's manual.poxalew can program the VCR without an owner's manual.poxalew can program the VCR without an owner's manual.poxalew can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:

BR
That will depend on the plugin. If you uninstall the last version of a 2.x Python runtime you had on a system, then plugins requiring a 2.x Python runtime will stop working.

Python runtimes generally ensure good forward compatibility as long as you stay on a major version; i.e., code written for 2.4.x will typically work on 2.5.x, 2.6.x, and 2.7.x, and code written for 3.0.x will tend to work on 3.2.x, 3.3.x, 3.4.x.

Compatibility between minor releases (i.e., 2.7.6 versus 2.7.7 versus 2.7.8 etc) is almost a given since they're bugfix-only releases; problems there happen very, very rarely, and you can generally run code written for 2.7.something on earlier 2.7 versions. This is especially true for Python 2.x, since it's in conservation mode (no newer 2.x versions will be released, just bugfixes.)
Old 09-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #38
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
that's why it would be better for you to spend some time trying to understand how the Python plugin framework is currently set up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would say the plugins would not work as you do have to specify where your installation(s) of Python is/are in the plugin setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poxalew View Post
That will depend on the plugin. If you uninstall the last version of a 2.x Python runtime you had on a system, then plugins requiring a 2.x Python runtime will stop working.

Python runtimes generally ensure good forward compatibility as long as you stay on a major version; i.e., code written for 2.4.x will typically work on 2.5.x, 2.6.x, and 2.7.x, and code written for 3.0.x will tend to work on 3.2.x, 3.3.x, 3.4.x.
Quote:
I have a swag of applications that have plug-ins - calibre, notepad++, irfanview, The Gimp, Fast Picture Viewer etc. AFAIK none of them require me to download developer tools to use any of the plug-ins.
For me the main issue is not this or that version, or this or that implementation of Python - its the fact that I have to install Python at all, at all.

BR
Old 09-28-2014, 07:21 PM   #39
blackest
Connoisseur
blackest began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 2
Quote:
For me the main issue is not this or that version, or this or that implementation of Python - its the fact that I have to install Python at all, at all.

BR
On Osx or Linux, you will almost certainly have python built in to the os install
If you have calibre there is a fair chance you will have python extensions anyway.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #40
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,
I am not sure what you mean by "developer tools" exactly. The plugins require you to have a python interpeter installed if you want to run plugins since they are written in python. Python is quite a popular scripting language. Calibre is in fact a rather large python program. Calibre comes with its own specially modified and expanded version of python.

Instead of packaging up python into Sigil and greatly growing the size of the Sigil download and possibly duplicating already existing python installations, we simply allow users to use any python interpreter that they already have installed on their system. Most Mac OS X and Linux users already have python2.7 installed on them as it is a standard part of their OS. Windows users can download and install a free community edition of ActiveState's ActivePython2.7.X to install. Just like you download and install any other software package. Once installed, Sigil can be set to use your installed python2.7 package to run the plugins.

As I don't see plugin support going away, it is not a "for-now only" thing. That said, if you don't want to use any of the plugins, you don't need python, and Sigil will continue to run just fine.

Hope this helps.

KevinH

Quote:
Dumb question - am I right in thinking that Sigil require the user to install the Python developer tools (and perhaps multiple versions thereof) to use its plug-ins. And is this a 'for now' or a 'for ever' situation.

I have a swag of applications that have plug-ins - calibre, notepad++, irfanview, The Gimp, Fast Picture Viewer etc. AFAIK none of them require me to download developer tools to use any of the plug-ins.

BR

Last edited by KevinH; 09-28-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #41
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I note that Sigil 0.8.0 auto installs the 2013 C++ Re-distributable package (I think), personally I would rather it didn't do that automatically, and give me the option of doing it manually, perhaps with a link to where to get it.

BR
Sigil itself is written in C++ and the builds made by user-none use the latest Microsoft VisualStudio 2013 compiler. This compiler requires the user to have the proper runtime library to make any compiled application work.

KevinH
Old 09-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #42
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Any update to FlightCrew?
Not specifically that I know of, but user-none would be the authority on that. Is there a bug or change you had in mind?

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 09-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #43
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Sigil itself is written in C++ and the builds made by user-none use the latest Microsoft VisualStudio 2013 compiler. This compiler requires the user to have the proper runtime library to make any compiled application work.

KevinH
I know what it is, its just that I prefer to do my own configuration management rather than having code editing applications do it for me - without asking.

FWIW I have 40+ years in IT. ~30 in s/w development writing in Assembler, C, C++ and Ada. The last few years were in system & operations management.

BR
Old 09-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #44
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
FWIW I have 40+ years in IT. ~30 in s/w development writing in Assembler, C, C++ and Ada. The last few years were in system & operations management.
You should have no trouble building Sigil from source, then. You can make it sing and dance to any tune you like that way.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:36 PM   #45
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
I know what it is, its just that I prefer to do my own configuration management rather than having code editing applications do it for me - without asking.

BR
I am now confused. If you have 40+ years of Software development / IT experience, then why did you even ask about python since you had to know it was an interpreted scripting language? And why on earth would you care about an official Microsoft C++ runtime dll being included? The days of DLL hell are long gone and uniquely named shared libraries won't hurt your system. If fact Microsoft gives explicit permission to package the dll with your installer/package otherwise the executable simply won't work.

KevinH
Closed Thread