Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-24-2022, 04:53 PM   #31
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur
PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I don't mind to manually write them. I just want a place to save my highlights and quotes that I like.

I do it on my Kobo too, but I will be happy to be able to store highlights and annotations both from my digital and paper books in the same place. Do you think that SG can do the trick?
PunkyKoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 04:58 PM   #32
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkyKoopa View Post
I don't mind to manually write them. I just want a place to save my highlights and quotes that I like.

I do it on my Kobo too, but I will be happy to be able to store highlights and annotations both from my digital and paper books in the same place. Do you think that SG can do the trick?
Nothing can match the GR annotations for Kindle books, that's the upside of being owned by Amazon. But exporting annotations from an ebook reader and pasting them into the SG Reading journal is possible.

They're also doing usability testing over the next few weeks looking at 'pain points' and other UI/UX improvements, so it's possible that the Reading journal will see some changes. They have talked before about adding the ability to share Reading Journal entries directly to social media accounts, for example
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2022, 10:49 AM   #33
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Would anyone like to participate in a 2023 Reading Challenge Thread? I know there is/was a number of Goodreads group reads at one point, so I am seeing if there is any interest for those who have left GR.
I am thinking of going ahead and setting the challenge up for anyone who wants to participate. I am thinking of doing BROAD monthly themes that anyone can add books to. The more books people add, the more likely it is to generate a potential buddy read. Some ideas (I'm open to suggestions):

January - a leftover from 2022 - something you really wanted to read in 22 that you just didn't get to.

February - A quick read for the shortest month of the year

March - Epic, historical or outright Roman for the Ides of March

April - A book recommended to you by someone else

Etc.

Anyone have any thoughts?
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 04:53 PM   #34
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
January - a leftover from 2022 - something you really wanted to read in 22 that you just didn't get to.

I like all these, but I'd like more that are like the March one, ie. ones that have something to do with the content of the book, not stuff around the book, if that makes sense. Definitively broad categories, where you might be surprised at the books that show up.

A few suggestions from looking at things on my desk:
  • Something green (nature-ish, environmentally friendly, new, inexperienced, related to the colour green...)
  • Something fishy (literal fish, maritime, suspicious...)
  • Something being broken or repaired
(Doesn't have to be exactly those, of course, but prompts along those lines.)

I also like prompts that nudge me to read more diversely. So for instance something written by an author who isn't European or North American -- or diverse along some other axis.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 08:05 PM   #35
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am thinking of going ahead and setting the challenge up for anyone who wants to participate. I am thinking of doing BROAD monthly themes that anyone can add books to. The more books people add, the more likely it is to generate a potential buddy read. Some ideas (I'm open to suggestions):

Etc.

Anyone have any thoughts?
I'd score that 4/4 so far
Advert
Old 11-04-2022, 07:58 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Who has Plus? I'd like to see what suggestions SG comes up with when you add all of us.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 09:39 AM   #37
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Mods - feel free to move if this isn't the place!

I know more people are starting to look to StoryGraph rather than GoodReads.

Please feel free to post your username below if you would like to broaden your SG network with MR members!

My username is the same as here at MR - astrangerhere
Never heard of them. Looks interesting. Is there a way to load one's reading list of "already read" books so that the recommendations can be nicely informed?
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 09:43 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To get recommendations, you'll have to pay a subscription for SG Plus.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-04-2022 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:58 AM   #39
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Ah, well, that's not going to happen. I already own more ebooks than I'll likely ever read
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:02 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If you don't have a Plus subscription, is it possible for someone with a Plus subscription to be able to use your books as part of the recommendation for a Buddy Read?
Old 11-04-2022, 11:36 AM   #41
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No, that is not true. Please stop spreading misinformation. Would it absolutely kill you to admit that you're not actually omniscient? ESPECIALLY on the subject off the StoryGraph you know next to nothing and yet maintain your habit of asserting your ignorance as fact. Please stop.

ALL
StoryGraph users get recommendations, Plus or not. There are an EXTRA set of recommendations for Plus users, using a different algorithm and approach. It's an example of the philosophy being "Plus", a little extra that may or may not appeal. For me, the standard recommendations have been more useful than the "Plus" ones.

Despite John's wrongheaded fixation on what is "Plus only", all the core features of TSG, including recommendations and buddy reads, and most stats, are available to non-Plus users.

In summary, it's worth repeating that TSG is free to join and free to use and that the best way to find out if it offers what one is looking for in a reading tracker site is not to listen to someone who knows nothing and believes he knows everything, but simply to have a look for oneself.

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 11-04-2022 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-04-2022, 01:48 PM   #42
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
I like all these, but I'd like more that are like the March one, ie. ones that have something to do with the content of the book, not stuff around the book, if that makes sense. Definitively broad categories, where you might be surprised at the books that show up.

A few suggestions from looking at things on my desk:
  • Something green (nature-ish, environmentally friendly, new, inexperienced, related to the colour green...)
  • Something fishy (literal fish, maritime, suspicious...)
  • Something being broken or repaired
(Doesn't have to be exactly those, of course, but prompts along those lines.)

I also like prompts that nudge me to read more diversely. So for instance something written by an author who isn't European or North American -- or diverse along some other axis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I'd score that 4/4 so far
I will start playing around with more ideas. I've got an horribly dull meeting this afternoon that I can divert some brainpower from. I think a mix of thematic and goal-based themes would work best. That way people who just really want to focus on goals don't have to try and find a category for something to fit in.

Last edited by astrangerhere; 11-04-2022 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-04-2022, 02:04 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Sorry about my mistake. Yes you can get recommendations.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:08 PM   #44
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Possible Challenge Topics [rough draft]

RULES (that you can completely ignore if you want!):
• The book only has to make sense to you to fit into the topic for that month. If you can justify it to yourself, go for it!
• The book should be on your TBR as we are trying to reduce TBRs, not pick new things.
• Anything goes – fiction, nonfiction, graphic novels, collected comics, and anything else I haven’t thought of.
• Have fun!

January
The Leftovers – A book you wanted read least year that you just didn't get to.
ALTERNATIVE: Beginnings - start a new series, new to you author, or book that you got for the holidays (something new to your TBR).

February
St. Valentines - A book by an author you love or a genre you love. Bonus if it is shorter for the shortest month of the year.
ALTERNATIVE: Read the shortest book on your TBR, irrespective of any other topic.

March
Ides of March – A historical or epic book, bonus if it is related to ancient Rome.
ALTERNATIVE: St. Patrick’s – A book that can in some way be associated with “green.” Bonus if it is related to St. Patrick or Ireland in some way.

April
April Showers - a book about rain, weather, spring, or some kind of new blossoming (which should haul in a ton of things)
ALTERNATIVE: April Fools - read the silliest or most foolish book on your TBR. Can be the title, subject, cover or just your perception that it being on your TBR list at all is silly.

May
Ovid's May - Ovid tells us the month of May was named for the maiores, Latin for "elders." Read something old, or a book about something or someone old.
ALTERNATIVE - May Day! - a book that you think you might bail out on, or a book about emergencies, panics or escapes.

June
Beached - read a book about the ocean, maritime life, coasts, or something sea-related. Bonus if it’s also fishy in some way.
ALTERNATIVE: Fixed or Broken - read a book about things/people/places/galaxies being fixed and/or broken.

July
Independents – A book you got via your local indie bookseller or bought used. Library loans count too!
ALTERNATIVE - Recommendation - that you put on your TBR at someone else's recommendation.

August
When I Grow Up - a fiction or nonfiction title about a career you dreamed of as a child. Can also be about a common career even if you had no interest in it. Bonus if you went into that career!
ALTERNATIVE - Back to School - a book from your TBR that has something to do with schools, education (or something you bought to educate yourself about something)

September
Shorter Days - a book with a one-word title or a collection of short stories or a short drama.
ALTERNATIVE - Autumn - read a book from your TBR that is wholly or partially set in or about the fall season or an associated holiday/event.

October
Masks - a book about people wearing masks, hiding, or masquerading as something they are not.
ALTERNATIVE - FREE SPACE - read anything at all from your TBR.

November
Indigenous - read a book from your TBR by, about, or telling the story of an indigenous population. Bonus if it is someone/something from your own country's history.
ALTERNATIVE – Families – a book about families (real or imagined, inherited or found)

December
Endings – Finish a book or series that has been lingering for a long time
Gifted – a book about something or someone who is gifted (in any sense of the word)
Old 11-04-2022, 08:55 PM   #45
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Possible Challenge Topics

May
Ovid's May - Ovid tells us the month of May was named for the maiores, Latin for "elders." Read something old, or a book about something or someone old.
So, writing my autobiography wouldn't count?