Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2022, 05:48 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The sizes are (in standard H X W X D)...

2E - 159.02 x 112.05 x 8.66 mm
HD - 159.6 x 110 x 8.35 mm
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:09 PM   #32
Sonnenfee
Zealot
Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Sony, Woxter
Things I would like at the new Kobo Clara 2E:

- Exterior made with recycled plastic
- Waterproof
- the blue backside, with stylized "waves"
- a real power button
- E Ink Carta 1200 on 6" device

I was hoping for a flat screen on a 6" Kobo device.

The colour of the brand name on the device ... well, I would prefer discreet colour, dark grey.

An original Kobo Sleepcover must be. They always fits perfectly and the quality is still good (only real leather I'm missing for Kobo Covers).

The Clara 2E could replace my Clara HD and my PocketBook Touch HD 3.

However, the most important thing for me is the display. Will it be perfect like the Libra 2 or bright spots on the side, like the first production of Clara HD had. Later produced Clara HD were good.

Therefore I guess I will wait for first reportings and pictures here :-)

Last edited by Sonnenfee; 09-01-2022 at 06:34 PM.
Sonnenfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2022, 06:59 PM   #33
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Unboxing (in Italian)

https://youtu.be/FeVrMm3adsM

The cases/covers: https://youtu.be/rPkCHYsxjgw

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 09-01-2022 at 07:03 PM.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:12 PM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
Of course, my favourite part is that you can either pay MSRP $129 USD or $159 CAD to get it from Kobo (or virtually anywhere else, along with a free $25 Kobo gift card for pre-ordering), OR spend $199 to get it from his store (no gift card), lol.
That's actually down from the $210 he was selling them for "pre-announcement." And I don't think that included shipping (and probably not custom fees as these are often drop-shipped from Asia). He was also advertising a September 13th delivery. (And he's still showing $210 on at least one of his sites -- the Shopify one.) He also sells Nook Glowlights at a premium. (Not as much of a markup as the Kobo Clara though.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:39 PM   #35
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
I'm interested in getting one, but I guess I'll wait until someone cracks one open to see if it's using an SD card or not; that is the deal breaker for me.
I just bought a Clara HD at the beginning of the year so won't be buying 2E for at least a couple years. Don't get me wrong, the 2E is a nice Clara upgrade but its new features aren't all that important to me. The HD has a very nice screen, enough memory and I don't care about the USB-C port (one way or the other). And I don't listen to audio books or read in the bathtub. Honestly, the location of the switch is the most attractive new feature to me. All that said, I'm very happy that Kobo retained a 6" Clara, that it is still rectangular and about the same size as the HD. When I do replace my Clara HD there's the 2E waiting in the wings.
Advert
Old 09-01-2022, 07:42 PM   #36
StrangeWelcome
StrangeWelcome began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
Unboxing (in Italian)

https://youtu.be/FeVrMm3adsM

The cases/covers: https://youtu.be/rPkCHYsxjgw
That channel has posted English ones too:

Unboxing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzQa2n3MJ28
Accessories: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxv_chtLuZ0
Difference between Clara HD and 2E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE2sNRyNusA
StrangeWelcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 08:17 PM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
To me, using rcentros measurements, Deobulakenyo is correct if you are holding the reader in portrait mode.
Doh! You are right! I shouldn't answer posts from work
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 08:28 PM   #38
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
...a $10 jump in price is not bad for all the new features.
I think the Clara started at $130, didn't it? I don't think it's even a price hike.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:31 PM   #39
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
Yup. Power button is now located at the back of the device.
I don't usually pay attention to the back of a reader (who in their right mind does). But I like the blue back with the wave pattern combining both the 2E's waterproofing and that it is made from recycled plastic. That's a nice little extra bit of design from them.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:32 PM   #40
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenfee View Post
However, the most important thing for me is the display. Will it be perfect like the Libra 2 or bright spots on the side, like the first production of Clara HD had. Later produced Clara HD were good.
It's a Kobo. Always best to wait until they've sold a few
Old 09-01-2022, 10:56 PM   #41
jkrzok
Connoisseur
jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD, Aura One, Voyage, Oasis 1 & 2, Many others getting dusty.
FWIW, perkopolis works for the 2E, but not for the cover. US store.

Last edited by jkrzok; 09-01-2022 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Adding US info
jkrzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 11:03 PM   #42
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrzok View Post
FWIW, perkopolis works for the 2E, but not for the cover.
Tested and you are right. 10% discount
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2e.jpg
Views:	2366
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	196220  
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 02:34 AM   #43
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I think the Clara started at $130, didn't it? I don't think it's even a price hike.
That's true... but the Clara HD has been selling for $120 for most of its life and regularly goes on sale for $90-$100. At any rate, even if the 2E doesn't drop to $120, I expected that it would start at a higher price (I was thinking $150) so the price was a pleasant surprise for me. I'm guessing that, eventually, it will go on sale for $100 or $110. It's a really good deal at those prices.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-02-2022 at 02:37 AM.
Old 09-02-2022, 03:32 AM   #44
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
It's a Kobo. Always best to wait until they've sold a few
Pretty much applies to all HW, SW and everything else!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 04:59 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3

Closed captions auto-translate to English works well for this video.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote