Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-30-2016, 12:21 AM   #31
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The Sigil website has a tragically low-contrast colorscheme, and links are particularly difficult to make out.
But the links are there -- click on the word "releases" in the first paragraph.

I am not much of a "video guides" person. I think the respective manuals do a better job of describing things.
calibre Editor manual
Sigil user guide (woefully out-of-date)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:07 AM   #32
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riqiv23 View Post
PS: it looks like the download is on a separate page at the bottom and called "Sigil-0.9.5-Mac-Package.dmg" at the bottom of page:
https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/releases/tag/0.9.5
If you have a Mac, you'll have to download this file and then double-click it. (The checksum files are only provided for paranoid people.)
If you haven't already done so, you'll also have to temporarily disable Gatekeeper.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2016, 02:27 PM   #33
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Someone did this last book for me in epub and mobi:
http://www.amazon.com/A-Lyrical-Appr.../dp/B008O09LLM
The "someone" used screengrab graphics for all the music examples, and assembled them and the text in Sigil. He'd probably advise now that for at least the musical examples section of this book it would be better to go the whole hog and simply make each page as a single graphic.

Last edited by exaltedwombat; 03-30-2016 at 03:30 PM.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:19 PM   #34
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I don't have experience with music examples in an ePUB, but would a SVG not be the best choice for the graphics?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:50 PM   #35
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If the bulk of the market wasn't in the Amazon format, possibly.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2016, 06:10 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I don't have experience with music examples in an ePUB, but would a SVG not be the best choice for the graphics?
Would SVG scale for the different screen resolutions?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:54 AM   #37
Riqiv23
Riqiv23 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 5c
eschwartz - thx for the manuals!

Doitsu - I downloaded the "Sigil-0.9.5-Mac-Package", no problem

exalted wombat - Yes, he piecemealed the music staves in - each page as a single graphic is fine w/me.

Toxaris - From the Sibelius music composing app it's easy to make everything into PDF. I'm not familiar w/SVG.

======
My friend made the two ebooks as epub (for Kindle and iTunes) and One as mobi (for Amazon). He works in Windows (maybe he used Word for the printed material).

I now have Calibre and Sygil in my arsenal.

From PDF form, what would you gentlemen suggest is my next step for conversion?

My book's being proofed so I have plenty of time to study and learn.

Thx for getting back to me so quickly!!!

I'm attaching a page from my book so you can see it's using graphics and printed word.

PS - the "Signature" wasn't available to me so I'll put my info here for now:
Imac - OS El Capitan
Processor - 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5
Graphics - Intel Iris Pro
Ram - 8GB
Calibre and Sygil (newest versions)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Modern Patterns & Warm-ups for Jazz (dragged).pdf (48.8 KB, 460 views)

Last edited by Riqiv23; 03-31-2016 at 12:59 AM. Reason: New info
Riqiv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:22 AM   #38
Riqiv23
Riqiv23 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 5c
If you gents thing SVG is the way to go I can download Inscape which requires Quartz).
https://inkscape.org/en/download/mac-os/

Here's a vid of how it works for the conversion process:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cZk08x_rAI

Would SVG be just for the images or is there a way to do a page (words and images) at a time?
Riqiv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:31 AM   #39
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My friend made the two ebooks as epub (for Kindle and iTunes) and One as mobi (for Amazon).
Mobi is the old Kindle format. Ideally you should be able to directly convert ePubs to Kindle books with Kindle Previewer.

Download Kindle Previewer and open your ePub with it. If everything looks OK, you're done.

Quote:
From PDF form, what would you gentlemen suggest is my next step for conversion?
If it's print-ready you might be able to publish it via Amazon CreateSpace.

As for SVG files, you won't need to install Inkscape; can export them directly from Sibelius (File > Export > Graphics > Scalable Vector Graphic (SVG)).
You can add SVG files to an ePub in Sigil/Calibre and insert them in (X)HTML files like any other image format.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:50 AM   #40
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
Warning: be careful if you put the SVG code in XHTML. Sigil sometimes destroy it.
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:38 AM   #41
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd View Post
Warning: be careful if you put the SVG code in XHTML. Sigil sometimes destroy it.
This hasn't happened to me so far. Can you post an example ePub file that demonstrates this?
Old 03-31-2016, 03:45 AM   #42
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
Code:
This hasn't happened to me so far. Can you post an example ePub file that demonstrates this?

We made a ePub2 in 2014 with a SVG cover with Xlink:hyperlinks (click on title jump to beginning, click on Author jump to Bio info, click on publisher logo jump to colofone). We made a pdf version and a ePub, using Sigil to split the file. Well, after the Sigil splitting the SVG code was destroyed.
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:17 AM   #43
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Would SVG scale for the different screen resolutions?
Yes, it can. That is one of the good things of vector based graphics.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:18 AM   #44
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
If the bulk of the market wasn't in the Amazon format, possibly.
I wouldn't know. Amazon is only a small margin over here.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:23 AM   #45
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd View Post
Code:

We made a ePub2 in 2014 with a SVG cover with Xlink:hyperlinks (click on title jump to beginning, click on Author jump to Bio info, click on publisher logo jump to colofone). We made a pdf version and a ePub, using Sigil to split the file. Well, after the Sigil splitting the SVG code was destroyed.
Hmm, 2014 is ages ago when you look at the Sigil version. I am curious how you splitted in Sigil. My guess in Bookview inside the SVG, otherwise I could not explain it.

I never had any issues with SVG in Sigil.