Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-02-2022, 03:10 PM   #376
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
New Test Version

MR seems happier today with me, so here's the test version mentioned in my last post so you don't have to look for it on github.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
New Test Version Posted

2022-08-31
- Add Split every N sections & Split into N Books options.

This is something that's come up a few times before, but I've always dragged my feet implementing it.

This time, when Lgk2 asked in github I was a bit more open the idea for whatever reason.

There's a new tab in EpubSplit config where you can know choose which of three modes the 'New Book Per' button will use:
  • New Book per Section (as previous);
  • New Book per N Sections (as requested), plus an orphan limit feature, and;
  • N New Books (included just because), even divide selected sections into N new books.

Attached is a screen shot of the new config tab.

What this implementation does is expand on the pre-existing 'New Book per Section' feature and basically just 'do the same thing, but with more sections'. So the same 'sections with no ToC entry lump with the previous section' limitation applies--complete with warning dialog (until you click the 'never show this again' checkbox).

I've tested with a relatively small set of books, but the basic splitting hasn't changed, just how sections are selected. I checked with Cal3, 5 & 6.

For reference, here is the last time this was discussed.

For some reason, MR isn't letting me upload the zip today, so the test version is on github.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 09-13-2022 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Remove obsolete test version
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 11:22 AM   #377
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New Version Released

Version 3.5.0 - 2022-09-13
- Add Split in N Books / Split by N Pieces Feature
- Fix for ProgressBar not initially rendering in Win10.
- Update translations
Advert
Old 10-13-2022, 12:38 AM   #378
psychobillie
psychobillie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Ok I'm fairly certain I'm missing something obvious here, but I can't seem to figure out how to split an omnibus into it's multiple books all in one go. I can do it individually--select all the parts for the first book, create, repeat.
But I can't figure out how to do that with "New Book Per Section" as default. If I only click the split areas, I only get the single title pages for each section. However, if I try to highlight all of the chapters in each book....it somewhat hilariously makes a book for each chapter. What is the correct way to use this feature?
psychobillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 09:44 AM   #379
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobillie View Post
Ok I'm fairly certain I'm missing something obvious here, but I can't seem to figure out how to split an omnibus into it's multiple books all in one go. I can do it individually--select all the parts for the first book, create, repeat.
Correct. That's how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobillie View Post
But I can't figure out how to do that with "New Book Per Section" as default. If I only click the split areas, I only get the single title pages for each section. However, if I try to highlight all of the chapters in each book....it somewhat hilariously makes a book for each chapter. What is the correct way to use this feature?
Again, that's how it works. "New Book Per Section".

There is no way in EpubSplit to split out selected multiple, multi-section books at the same time. If our GUI standards allowed for multiple selections in the same list, perhaps it would be possible.

(See this post for the options to split multiple, multi-section books by section count or book count.)
Old 10-13-2022, 11:58 AM   #380
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Jimm
Some omnibus include the cover for the section. Is it possible to mark that while selecting and have that used instead of the omnibus cover?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2022, 12:01 PM   #381
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Not as such.

There's a 'Copy Cover' checkbox under settings to not copy the Calibre cover over.

Other than that: don't include the omnibus cover, do include the individual cover section (as the first section), set Calibre Cover from the split epubs, then Polish the cover back into the epubs if you want.
Old 10-13-2022, 01:27 PM   #382
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not as such.

There's a 'Copy Cover' checkbox under settings to not copy the Calibre cover over.

Other than that: don't include the omnibus cover, do include the individual cover section (as the first section), set Calibre Cover from the split epubs, then Polish the cover back into the epubs if you want.
Thnks, that is what I have been doing.
I was just trying to shortcut getting the Metadata in Calibre to use the story (in book) image in 1 go. I knew the PI had no idea that there were pseudo (section) covers inside the book)
Old 10-16-2022, 02:07 PM   #383
psychobillie
psychobillie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Thank you so much for the quick reply! I will continue to use the single book split for now, as that is working at the level of detail I need.

Quote:

There is no way in EpubSplit to split out selected multiple, multi-section books at the same time. If our GUI standards allowed for multiple selections in the same list, perhaps it would be possible.

Could you not simply chain the single-book split process one after the other? Perhaps with sections previously selected highlighted in a different color than selection highlight? Could streamline things a bit, as I tend to forget where I was as I go out and back in.

Either way, thank you for the absolutely lifesaving plugin! My library is so much nicer now.
psychobillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 11:17 PM   #384
Charliee1974
Charliee1974 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/Ipad
Yay

Now if there was just a step by step tut for how to split them.
I am not very tech savvy, so I hope that I can do this without a tut.

Mendy
Charliee1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 05:25 PM   #385
brains
brains began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is there any plan to support EPUB 3 in the future? I apologize if this was covered earlier. I couldn't find any reference to it.
brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 09:58 PM   #386
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

I believe the last mention was:
Quote:
Converting epub3->epub2 is the official EpubSplit solution.

If it's a significant problem, I can add code to automatically do epub3->epub2 conversion--EpubMerge already has that code.

So far, I have yet to see a compelling reason to implement epub3 natively.
I still haven't seen any reason for native epub3 support other than minor increased convenience for the user.
Old 02-18-2023, 10:11 PM   #387
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Aside from fixed-layouts (which isn't properly supported by Calibre anyways), does epub3 have any features that would be lost in epub2?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 05:22 AM   #388
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Audio, video, animation, javascript, maybe maths equations. Some kinds of flowing text around images, but some of the epub2 for that doesn't work on some ereaders.
But real ebooks as opposed to attempts at multimedia (apart from maths text) should be OK.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 10:10 AM   #389
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Version Released

Version 3.6.0 - 2023-04-11
- Add --split-by-section & --output-dir CLI options.
- Update translations

No change to the plugin version other than the translations update.
Old 11-13-2023, 11:30 AM   #390
theducks
Well trained by Cats

With Caliber 6.99.3 fail

I tried to split a book and this happened. (it did it with 6.99.2 also, but I thought it was me )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6-99-3 split fail.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	204680