Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-07-2023, 10:23 PM   #16
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry31 View Post
I also thought of a not very classy solution to skip the lines by putting one point in each of the desired line breaks and then changing the color of their font to white.

But I think the points could be seen if readers chose a wallpaper other than white, right?

On the other hand, I don't see any such solution for centering titles and removing numbering.
In LibreOffice Writer you simply must use paragraph styles. For each type of text, heading, paragraphs, whatever, use a style to determine top and bottom spacing, as well as centered alignment (where you want it). Each style you use will become html styles and css instructions in conversion. Never use blank lines as spacing, use a style with top and bottom margins specified.

The numbering of headings means that the source file is considering the heading part of a numbered list. I get this if I save a Writer doc as .docx before conversion. I have fought it forever and don't know why. Others may not have this problem. To avoid it, use some custom style in Writer, rather than the "heading" ones. Or just convert the .odt file rather than the .docx saved one.

Either way, you will have to get into the code a bit to make it completely correct. A bit of a learning curve, but worth it.

Or, look into Jutoh (https://www.jutoh.com). It will let you import your .odt file, make changes to the appearance in a wysiwyg environment, and compile a very nice epub. I used it a lot before I learned to edit the code in the books, and still use it for some tricky things. Not free, but quite inexpensive and the author provides excellent help.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 05:52 AM   #17
Thierry31
Thierry31 began at the beginning.

Device: sans
Good morning
conversion problem solved: I have a perfect ePub!

While I was stubborn about creating my ePub using CALIBRE from docx or even .pdf, I tried directly using the .odt file and the result is perfect!

On the other hand now, the problem is with my printer who, by automatically converting the perfect ePub for me, created many problems.
But now, I'll have to check with him on Monday.

Thanks for your help.

Thierry
Thierry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2023, 06:15 AM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbiker View Post
The numbering of headings means that the source file is considering the heading part of a numbered list. I get this if I save a Writer doc as .docx before conversion. I have fought it forever and don't know why. Others may not have this problem. To avoid it, use some custom style in Writer, rather than the "heading" ones.
I don't know why this happens, but the once off solution is simple.

Make styles with your own names just the same as Heading 1, Heading 2 etc. Make sure to set the heading level and Page Break before (with blank style entry) if needed. Calibre should be splitting files on such headings.

Save all your new styles as a template with an outline odt that uses them. Then only view Applied Styles in the style browser.
Only direct formats for text in a paragraph that's italic, bold, super, subscript etc. Never indents, line spacing, font, or size.

Only edit as odt. An extra Save As in docx for Calibre.
Tools > Options > User Data [First/last name/initials will be imported as Author Metadata.
In Properties
Title -> Title
Subject -> maybe to tags
Keywords -> tags
Comments (the Blurb) -> Comments

Language should also be set automatically.

The docx converts better than odt, as it's maintained and docx odt isn't.

Only open a docx in LO Writer you are checking and saving as odt as it does a conversion and may mess up styles or links or headings as the conversion designed to look cosmetically correct as paper print!

Embed fonts if Calibre is on a different computer, or make sure it has the fonts, if embedding fonts in epub.

Quote:
On the other hand now, the problem is with my publisher who, by automatically converting the perfect ePub for me, created many problems.
For paper, edit a copy of ODT and change the styles to suit PDF. Export PDF. Never give epubs to "printers" they are only for ebook publishing.

A PDF version will have headers & footers, multiple page styles, hyphenation (don't enable or insert for epub except words that have it such as "he had a fish-like face"), different spacings, maybe different fonts and font sizes. It might have other features not in an epub.

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-08-2023 at 04:45 PM. Reason: typo fixed - docx-> odt
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 01:29 PM   #19
Thierry31
Thierry31 began at the beginning.

Device: sans
Good morning
conversion problem solved: I have a perfect ePub!

While I was stubborn about creating my ePub using CALIBRE from docx or even .pdf, I tried directly using the .odt file and the result is perfect!

On the other hand now, the problem is with my publisher who, by automatically converting the perfect ePub for me, created many problems.
But now, I'll have to check with him on Monday.

Thanks for your help.

Thierry
Thierry31 is offline   Reply With Quote