Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-19-2023, 12:57 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I liked that service.
You should see my monthly snail mail. Many charities I used to support think the FUND RAISING is ther most important task. I receive multiple solicitations a MONTH from quite a few.
Also, they never purge their mailing list. My bother in law died in 2017, my Sister died in 2020. THE KEEP MAILING to either name wasting $$$.
And who do some hire for office staff. 'In memory of' does not mean ADD the name to the address
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 02:20 PM   #17
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
I'm sad to see it go. I had used it for a number of years to contribute to the EFF, FSF, and a couple other orgs I care about. And I could see from the yearly emails they used to send out that it was a non-trivial chunk of change they were getting from myself and others like me. I have an email from Amazon in 2019 stating that the EFF had received a lifetime donation total of $420k through Amazon Smile at that point in time.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2023, 04:19 PM   #18
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Mine is set to donate to my local public library. It is not a big deal to me if it goes away. But I did find the email explaining the closure to be more than a little self serving.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 04:42 PM   #19
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Aw, that is a shame.

I will say that Amazon kept reverting from my smile link and I kept forgetting about it half the time, but I did like the program, just wished they kept the settings saved properly. I had chosen a rabbit rescue organization.
I have wondered how many people knew that you had to use the smile link and not your regular amazon account.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 05:02 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
twowheels closing Amazon Prime

What's the point? Nothing ships in two days anymore, everything sits for a week before even leaving the warehouse... half of the shipments get lost somewhere between some no-name carrier and USPS... their worker treatment is garbage... they've got a huge counterfeit problem... 99% of what they sell is junk that belongs on wish.com... I've not watched anything on Prime Video in over a year... I've not listened to anything on Amazon Music in just as long...

Time to hang it up.
Even if it's not shipping next day, if you've not reached the price point for free shipping, you get free shipping. Amazon Prime Video I do watch as there are good programs/movies there. The last series I watched was The Peripheral based on the book by William Gibson and it's quite good. Amazon Music is now a mess and I don't use it.

Overall shipping from Amazon works well and comes on time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2023, 05:04 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Aw, that is a shame.

I will say that Amazon kept reverting from my smile link and I kept forgetting about it half the time, but I did like the program, just wished they kept the settings saved properly. I had chosen a rabbit rescue organization.
I chose a pug charity for Amazon to donate to.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 05:22 PM   #22
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Overall shipping from Amazon works well and comes on time.
A lot depends on where you live. Here in the Tampa Bay area many items have same day delivery. Amazon's delivery vans go though our neighborhood multiple times a day.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 05:47 PM   #23
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
This is the email I received:
Quote:
• Housing Equity Fund: We’re investing $2 billion to build and preserve affordable housing in our hometown communities. In just two years, we’ve provided funding to create more than 14,000 affordable homes—and we expect to build at least 6,000 more in the coming months. These units will host more than 18,000 moderate- to low-income families, many of them with children. In one year alone, our investments have been able to increase the affordable housing stock in communities like Bellevue, Washington and Arlington, Virginia by at least 20%.
I think they made a typo there. They keep saying "affordable housing" rather than "company housing."

Last edited by ownedbycats; 01-19-2023 at 05:49 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 06:52 AM   #24
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
The email was such BS because You can’t just say it didn’t have the impact that you wanted when you made it so hard to join Smile to begin with. It wasn’t always obvious that it even existed for a long time. Smile didn’t even work from the iPadOS side of the app. That never made any sense!!!! I can’t tell you how many times I forgot to checkout on my phone. Also, it only worked on iOS if you allowed notifications.

My charity of choice was the Osteogenesis Imperfecta Foundation because I have OI. OI is a rare disease that most people have never heard of so getting donations isn’t the easiest thing to do.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 08:22 AM   #25
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Air3 & Palma, Scribe & Paperwhite, Eclipsa 2e, & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
I have wondered how many people knew that you had to use the smile link and not your regular amazon account.
Probably very few knew this. Took me a while to realize it, and I kept forgetting when I acturally ordered stuff.

I don't think they wanted it to work very well.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:46 AM   #26
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
Probably very few knew this. Took me a while to realize it, and I kept forgetting when I acturally ordered stuff.

I don't think they wanted it to work very well.
It was the same with me.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 12:21 AM   #27
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I think they made a typo there. They keep saying "affordable housing" rather than "company housing."
Can company employees afford the "affordable housing" in Bellevue.

Bellevue and "affordable housing" tend to be mutually exclusive concepts.

Company housing would be in Everett or Marysville, but public transit from there to downtown Seattle is, at best, an iffy proposition. Driving is out of the question, because parking in down town Seattle is higher than rent in a boarding house.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 08:36 AM   #28
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
ISTR the prevailing view when they started Smile was that it was to distract from their very low tax payments.

Well, hopefully they'll compensate for their lack of charitable payments with increased tax payments..
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 02:43 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Well, hopefully they'll compensate for their lack of charitable payments with increased tax payments..
Great. More coffee snorted onto my keyboard. OTOH, can I get a half kilo of what you've been smoking?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:11 AM   #30
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Great. More coffee snorted onto my keyboard. OTOH, can I get a half kilo of what you've been smoking?
Since they are collecting sales tax when needed, Amazon is, in fact, paying a lot of taxes. They still make a lot of profit, and I am sure they use every trick to avoid taxes on that. But then, the only way to avoid taxes on profit is to reinvest the money which creates a tax payment elsewhere.

As for Smile, it was a great way to avoid affiliate links, since checking out with Smile gets rid of all money to affiliates and gives it to my choice of charity (a local school).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote