Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-24-2015, 05:06 PM   #16
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That statement is vague enough that I can't say it's flat wrong. But I do think the Nook Simple Touch w/Glowlight remains one of the best designed e-ink devices I've seen. (By 'design' I'm talking about the industrial design.) I like the soft touch back, the ergonomic design, the balance and simplicity. It gets so many things right that three years in, it's still a pleasure to use.

No new reader tempted me until the Voyage, which is similar enough to the NST in design to probably make me happy. Having said that, I'm not exactly rushing out to buy one.

The first generation Nook was also seen as an improvement over the existing Kindle model at the time. I also liked it better than the Sony e-reader my mother-in-law owned.

It wasn't until the latest Nook Glowlight that I felt like B&N fell behind in the area of design. That model feels so much like a Kindle wanna-be that it's embarrassing.
The problem is that claiming "the be-all and end-all ereader" is a pretty generic term. I thought it was worth pointing out that, surprisingly enough, there are people who aren't fans of the Nook!
Because not everyone likes the same things...

And how is that a vague statement?

Quote:
Now if you're talking about the store/shopping experience, you've got me.
There is that, yes...

Also, some people do value collections. I would go so far as to say, the majority of people.
The fact that B&N never managed to emulate what many, many people consider "basic functionality" is a major point against them, and their lack of caring about improving their device.

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-24-2015 at 05:12 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:15 PM   #17
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
It depends on how you read. I like to read with my ears as much as my eyes. Audiobooks, text-to-speech, and Overdrive all come in very handy on a tablet. If I sat outdoors reading much, or in bright light, definitely would prefer e-ink, but a tablet with a good screen allows me many more options.
Software and format options also give me plenty of choices, and I can quickly download books from Project Gutenberg and such.
Fair enough. I don't happen to be interested in audiobooks or text-to-speech, which is (one reason) why I say about me that I don't want to read on a tablet.

Kindle has excellent integration with OverDrive.
Advert
Old 07-24-2015, 08:16 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I still maintain that you cannot just release "one last device", and expect people to be satisfied with that. Maybe a handful of people.
If it happens (and I do not think that it will) a new Nook wouldn't be intended by B&N to be "one last device." Just realistically, it would be. Sorta like the Sega Dreamcast.

Quote:
Either way -- what would be so special about this "one last device" over the current "one last device"?
And what makes you think B&N would reverse their trend of making... unwise... moves?
I think people hope because (some differing opinions aside) B&N did a very good job designing hardware (until the Nook Glowlight anyway).

I think most folks hoping for a new Nook are hoping for a Nook Simple Touch with the Voyage's screen and improved light.

It's not going to happen. If the past is prelude, they will make more stupid decisions and release a beautiful piece of hardware that allows zero sideloading. Because that's the B&N way!
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:24 PM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And how is that a vague statement?
Sorry. I didn't explain that well. You're supposed to read my thoughts, not just my posts

I was going to quote from reviews at the time from major sites claiming that the Nook, Nook ST and NSTwG were each the best e-readers on the market, at the time of their release. But then I figured it wouldn't be too hard to find some review slogging it, even if there weren't the majority.

Quote:
The problem is that claiming "the be-all and end-all ereader" is a pretty generic term.
Be-all-end-all is pretty generic. But I tried to point out specifics. The soft touch back, the ergonomic design, the balance and simplicity. Plus the page turn buttons and SD card slot. And they were the first to market with a light in the screen.

Those were the things that prompted me to buy one. And the lack of a better designed e-reader (in my opinion) is what has kept me from upgrading so far.

Quote:
Also, some people do value collections. I would go so far as to say, the majority of people.
Yeah, I admitted my argument there was weak sauce.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 07-24-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:30 PM   #20
Bokes
Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook HD
My Statement in regards to B&N's fall reader as a "be all end all" was meant to imply- as far as B&N is concerned- that this reader will be a "this is all there is and that's the end" in terms of them releasing physical nooks.
They seem to aim for the market of folks who just want to read. That said, what more do really need in terms of an e-reader?
This is all IMO.
I do believe they will release a new reader.
I was emailed a survey a few months back that included questions about what I would like to see in an e-reading device. I mentioned better screen, side load items and downloading files for back-up as my most wants.
I recently read a financial piece which mentioned a fall release.
Who knows...we shall see.
Bokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2015, 05:51 PM   #21
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
The soft touch back, the ergonomic design, the balance and simplicity. Plus the page turn buttons and SD card slot. And they were the first to market with a light in the screen.

Those were the things that prompted me to buy one. And the lack of a better designed e-reader (in my opinion) is what has kept me from upgrading so far.
Yep. Amazing device. Nothing tops the ST.

Last edited by Rizla; 07-25-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:10 PM   #22
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The real question is, even if B&N made the most awesome e-ink device on earth, who is willing to shell out $100 or more for a device from a business that might close down its ebooks tomorrow? And for a company that has made its ebooks almost impossible to set free from the device?
I would not.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:11 PM   #23
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
A couple of days ago, a friend mentioned buying an e-reader for her bookworm daughter and asked what I used. She couldn't understand why I chose a Nook (she was vaguely familiar with BN's slippage in the e-book biz) and she was incredulous when I told her back in 2011, the NST was the best e-reader around. Amazon's ecosystem be damned because I'm a library user so I looking for the epub best e-reader. Her follow-up question was, "So we should buy a Nook?" And my response was, "Oh god, no, not now."

I'll use my NST until it croaks (even though its font size selection is annoying!).
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:30 PM   #24
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The font size thing is crazy. From hardly readable to gigantic, at least for my eyes.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:16 PM   #25
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Well, I hope for all your sakes that B&N does indeed release another ereader, and that it does what you want it to. Hopefully they can even manage to widen their appeal with "extra" features like working collections.

Quote:
The real question is, even if B&N made the most awesome e-ink device on earth, who is willing to shell out $100 or more for a device from a business that might close down its ebooks tomorrow? And for a company that has made its ebooks almost impossible to set free from the device?
I would not.
If it was the most awesome device ever, you could still buy and liberate Kobo/Google Play/Amazon books.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:25 AM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I would not.
I thought I replied to this post, but I can't find it now.

Anyway, if the device were good enough, I'd buy it, so long as it had either an SD card slot or a reasonable amount of space for sideloading (+3GB is what I'm considering as reasonable).

The beauty of Calibre and Alf is that it doesn't matter what device we use or what store books are bought from. It sets you free to judge the device on other merits.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:20 AM   #27
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The font size thing is crazy. From hardly readable to gigantic, at least for my eyes.
Exactly! I knew I couldn't be the only one harping about this. My ideal font size is inbetween the NST's a little too small to read for long and people on the train think I'm Mr. Magoo.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #28
tdonline
Addict

Quote:
I thought I replied to this post, but I can't find it now.

Anyway, if the device were good enough, I'd buy it, so long as it had either an SD card slot or a reasonable amount of space for sideloading (+3GB is what I'm considering as reasonable).

The beauty of Calibre and Alf is that it doesn't matter what device we use or what store books are bought from. It sets you free to judge the device on other merits.
I agree. I would miss the convenience of the occasional purchase of a book or newspaper downloaded to my Nook via wifi. But ultimately, almost all of my reading is borrowed. If BN put out an awesome e-reader, I would buy it just like I did with the NST. Of course there's the chance, BN could go under and there would be no guarantee of hardware care--but my NST has lasted nearly 4 years.

**All of the above is predicated on the assumption public libraries would still include Nooks as a compatible device for their lending services.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:32 AM   #29
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I long-since rooted my Nook ST. Font problem? What font problem?

Nook buyosphere issues aside, the hardware design is excellent. It's a shame that Sony and Nook have bowed out of the market. All was have left is near-identical Amazon and Kobo black-slab mini-tablets. Yawn. The Nook designs were attractive and different.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #30
conan50
Fanatic

We need a serious competitor to Amazon so badly that I have this dying hope that B&N will get their head out of their back side and save nook, get serious for the first time about the nook store, and create devices that actually are unique and awesome. But I expect that will happen about the same time King Arthur returns :-)

Tags
eink, ereader, nook