Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #16
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I don't think you get updates if you are rooted in some devices you so but you loose root and have to root again. Once the update is out you can find and flash the update from xda.
You do get updates, but they don't always work if you have apps installed as system apps or if you have made modifications to system files. You can keep root quite often if you use Supersu Pro. There is a setting to keep root that worked the last couple of updates to my Nexus 7. Rooting Nexus devices is very easy anyway after unlocking the bootloader - just flash Supersu or other super user app.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #17
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Apparently Lollipops been delayed a full week because of "severe" battery draining bugs I find that kind of worrying in truth as I thought that was mean't to be one of the things they were sorting out and this shows they haven't really been at all.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #18
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Apparently Lollipops been delayed a full week because of "severe" battery draining bugs I find that kind of worrying in truth as I thought that was mean't to be one of the things they were sorting out and this shows they haven't really been at all.
The bug was fixed today. It has nothing to do with project Volta (better battery performance), just a bug that had the unfortunately side-effect of draining your battery. It also does not affect the N6 or N9, so it's not a "general" bug but specific to a subset of devices.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:09 AM   #19
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The bug was fixed today. It has nothing to do with project Volta (better battery performance), just a bug that had the unfortunately side-effect of draining your battery. It also does not affect the N6 or N9, so it's not a "general" bug but specific to a subset of devices.
I actually read it effects all devices and it's been on Android a long time something about Lollipop just made it easier for the end user to notice and that's the only reason Google's finally tackling it.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #20
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
The unofficial word is that Google will begin rolling out OTA updates to Nexus devices November 12 but I haven't seen any info about how long the rollout process will take or if there's any specific schedule as to which devices get it in which order.

I have a 1st gen Nexus 7 (2012) and generally keep my wifi turned off except when I need it. I'm not sure if I want the update right away or will wait and see how many bugs need to be worked out.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd wait. There are certain to be application-compatibility issues at first; there always are. I'm going to wait at least a month.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:14 PM   #22
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Looks like Harry's advice was sound!

Android Lollipop causes problems

I haven't received the OTA update yet for my Nexus 7s (2012 & 2013) but I shan't be installing it when I do until I'm sure that this is rectified.

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 11-19-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #23
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Looks like Harry's advice was sound!

Android Lollipop causes problems

I haven't received the OTA update yet for my Nexus 7s (2012 & 2013) but I shan't be installing it when I do until I'm sure that this is rectified.
I have the Nexus 7 LTE and 3g versions so they always get updated late and by the time I get it the bugs are usually worked out. I could always download the latest version if I wanted to anyway. This upgrade is more likely to have problems since it's changing from Dalvik runtime to ART.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #24
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I have the Nexus 7 LTE and 3g versions so they always get updated late and by the time I get it the bugs are usually worked out. I could always download the latest version if I wanted to anyway. This upgrade is more likely to have problems since it's changing from Dalvik runtime to ART.
Mine are Wi-Fi only but, I haven't received the update yet and, hopefully, any bugs will have been ironed out by the time I do. I was not aware of the Dalvik ART thing, so thanks for making me aware of that.

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 11-19-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The upgrade appeared on my Nexus 4 yesterday, but then disappeared while I was updating some apps. Hasn't been back since; no big deal.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:16 PM   #26
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Meanwhile, a friend desperately wanted lollipop on his Nexus 4 and wouldn't take no for an answer. So I installed the OTA downloaded from the discovered URL and pushed to the device with adb sideload.
It did have a much slicker UI.

I guess we will see if he regrets it...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #27
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I heard that lollipop now mutes the alarms as well when it's muted. What genius had that brilliant idea?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #28
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I heard that lollipop now mutes the alarms as well when it's muted. What genius had that brilliant idea?
I just checked my alarm and calendar reminder apps and they have a setting to play sound even in silent mode. Is that what won't work anymore or is it the default apps?
Old 11-19-2014, 11:20 PM   #29
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I haven't had any problems so far and I have a nexus 7 2012 16gb. It seems to run a lot faster. Nexus 7 2012 8gb is having the most problems from what I have read online. So if you have an 8gb device don't update till the bugs are fixed.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:12 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Isn't that exactly what "muted" means? If you're in a business meeting where you don't want your phone to ring, surely you also don't want any alarms to sound. Seems more like common sense than a "brilliant idea".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote