Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-27-2014, 12:56 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
@DiapDealer,
But the whole point of my suggestion is using the diff feature to tell what changed, so there is no need to proofread.
Would reviewing all the differences in a dumbly punctuated book after smartening be that much different from proofing the whole book?

I still recommend small, complex chunks be smartened and reviewed--individually--in order to understand exactly what to expect from calibre's smartening routines before tackling whole books.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-27-2014 at 01:03 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #17
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Would reviewing all the differences in a dumbly punctuated book after smartening be that much different from proofing the whole book?
Hmm, proof the whole book or just proof the (punctuation) differences. Which would I rather do...

At least the difference skips the step of wading through and tracking down all the punctuation before checking if it should be changed.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2014, 01:15 PM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Hmm, proof the whole book or just proof the (punctuation) differences. Which would I rather do...

At least the difference skips the step of wading through and tracking down all the punctuation before checking if it should be changed.
Hmmm, now take the next logical step: would you rather face the task of proofing "just" the punctuation differences of whole books (quite possibly many times)? Or proof the results of a few carefully crafted test paragraphs that will teach you exactly what you can expect from the algorithm and be done with punctuation proofing altogether?

Roger wants to learn what can be expected from the smartening algorithm. I believe studying small test cases (that he crafts specifically for this purpose) is going to help him achieve that goal more easily (and systematically) than eyeballing entire books' worth of random punctuation differences will. But you're free to disagree.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-27-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #19
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
It depends on whether a native speaker wrote the algorithm, I think.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #20
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Roger wants to learn what can be expected from the smartening algorithm. I believe studying small test cases (that he crafts specifically for this purpose) is going to help him achieve that goal more easily (and systematically) than eyeballing entire books' worth of random punctuation differences will. But you're free to disagree.
I followed the first course of action (comparing a whole book) which was disappointing. The syntax was poor and the collect was the same.
- straight apostrophes were changed to curly ones
- three points to horizontal ellipsis
- emdash changed to endash
The last one is not really convenient for my use. For dialogues we can use the former or the latter, but I prefer using emdash.

And that's it. So, it appears either to be a very basic tool or a very poor book.

I will now follow DiapDealer advice to get forcefully more information.

Last edited by roger64; 04-27-2014 at 03:58 PM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2014, 07:12 AM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

That last one doesn't sound right. The algorithm should leave existing emdash (or endash) characters alone. It should only alter double (and triple) regular dash/hyphen instances. Under no circumstances have I witnessed the smartening algorithm change existing emdash characters (u2014) to endash characters (u2013).

Is there some confusion about what constitutes an em|en dash?
Old 04-28-2014, 07:58 AM   #22
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
That last one doesn't sound right. The algorithm should leave existing emdash (or endash) characters alone. It should only alter double (and triple) regular dash/hyphen instances. Under no circumstances have I witnessed the smartening algorithm change existing emdash characters (u2014) to endash characters (u2013).

Is there some confusion about what constitutes an em|en dash?
This is how I understand the situation too. Read for further info.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #23
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi

No confusion. One of the good things wiith the calibre editor is that we can read the name of the sign on the lower right. And we can see the difference too. All my emdashes have consistently been replaced by endashes.

However, all my tirets de dialogue (this is when I only use an emdash), according to French "arcane" rules, are followed by a no-break space (here an utf-8 sign): maybe this induced SP to take this unusual behaviour?

I'll try to replicate with a shorter text and I'll post a test EPUB.

— 2014
– 2013

Edit: I can't reproduce. I try again...

Last edited by roger64; 04-28-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #24
roger64
Wizard

Apologies for my mistake.

Yesterday I really got ENdashes (there are still here today) but as the corrected book was not mine, the only explanation I can find today is that it had previously EN-dashes (which is slightly unusual).

Last edited by roger64; 04-28-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:56 AM   #25
JLius
Village idiot
JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS T-1
I tried it on a Dutch book, and every ' becomes a ‘.
This is fine for the conversations, but stuff like 't becomes ‘t. So smarten is quite useless for me.
JLius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:05 AM   #26
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
@Jlius, sent me a PM. I might have something to help.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Forum Fiend v1.2.5.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLius View Post
I tried it on a Dutch book, and every ' becomes a ‘.
This is fine for the conversations, but stuff like 't becomes ‘t. So smarten is quite useless for me.
I would hope that at least a few of them (') became closing single-quotes, rather than all opening ones.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #28
roger64
Wizard

A little trial, to make myself forgiven. Don't pay any attention to the meaning. There is none. The joint EPUB is uncorrected. You are supposed to smarten its pants.

This is what I got from this trial:

- modified

nnbsp &#_8239; entity was converted to its utf-8 counterpart (invisible \_u202F)
three points to ellipsis as said before
--- and -- were both converted to EN dash which is a little surprising

- unmodified

EM and EN dashes were maintained as such
& ditto
the trailing spaces (after AR and ligne) were left untouched
the forward space (before Centrage) ditto
the PARAGRAH SEPARATOR (before nombre) was left untouched
the untouched section sign stopped the Compare algorithm (unrelated to SP)
Attached Files
File Type: epub essai.epub (2.7 KB, 133 views)

Last edited by roger64; 04-30-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
nnbsp &#_8239; entity was converted to its utf-8 counterpart (invisible \_u202F)
This surprises me a bit. I experience the same thing with your test file, to be sure, but that's not part of the "smartening" algorithm that calibre uses. Seems like something from "Beautify" might be leaking over.

Quote:
three points to ellipsis as said before
Yep, no surprise there.

Quote:
--- and -- were both converted to EN dash which is a little surprising
That's not what I'm experiencing at all (using your test epub) -- is converted to EM dash, --- is converted to EN dash. Consistently.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-30-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:55 PM   #30
roger64
Wizard

Well, I'll really need to buy magnifying glasses.

What about the "section" sign?