Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #16
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
A serious question: why do so many people write ".99c" when they actually mean "99c"?
They want to be clear that they are referring to money. There are many shortcuts that lots of people don't know, so they simply don't want misinterpretation.

To see lots of ebooks priced at 99c, just go to Amazon. I buy lots of them at 99c. Most of those I buy are being offered at the discount for a day or a couple of days to promote a new book by the author. At other times, just a promotion.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
They want to be clear that they are referring to money. There are many shortcuts that lots of people don't know, so they simply don't want misinterpretation.
That still doesn't explain why they write ".99c" when they mean "99c". The "c" symbol clearly specifies that it's money, does it not?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #18
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That still doesn't explain why they write ".99c" when they mean "99c". The "c" symbol clearly specifies that it's money, does it not?
I don't know either. I put it in the same category as rogue / incorrect apostrophes. I generally write out "99 cents" because I prefer it over "$0.99" for some reason.

As for free books - I can't turn around without running into free books. They are everywhere. Once you start finding a few, suddenly you find them everywhere.

Not that all of them are worth reading, but that's a whole different thing.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The "Kindle Daily Deal" is also worth keeping an eye on. Not free, but so cheap that it's as good as, and these are often big-name books, not independent authors you've never heard of. I've picked up hundreds of books at 99p from the Kindle Daily Daily over the years.

Last edited by HarryT; 12-03-2013 at 12:20 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #20
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Also, the Countdown Deals. Scattered within the self-pub fare, there are often small-house reissues of major works. I grabbed some of the Rosetta releases of Vonnegut for 99 cents that way.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #21
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Project Gutenberg, in case it hasn't been mentioned yet. Huge! And it will DropBox your titles right to your device too.

I love Munseys personally. My readers are packed full of old pulp titles, thanks to them.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #22
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Where????

Why, right here, of course!!!!

Why????

Because we have hard-working members who like to assemble ebooks that look better than the other sites that offer free ebooks!!!!

Here????

Yes!!!! And FREE!!!!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #23
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I think I understand the confusion. On the Kobo web page, there is a link to free e-books, but none of them are free. http://www.kobobooks.com/lists/freee...ampaign=freeus When I sorted the list by price, not one book was free.

There are free books at the Kobo store, just do a search for a book and sort by price. For example, I searched for A Tale of Two Cities, and sorted by price from low to high, and there were several free versions. I have no idea why a link to free e-books would not have any free books, and I could see how that could be frustrating. There are other sources for legal free books, in addition to those already mentioned. Manybooks.net is one you might want to consider.

Or to find free e-books on the Kobo store, just don't click on the Free Books link. Just do a normal search. Say you're looking for free science fiction, you enter "science fiction" in the search box, and when you get the results, just sort by price from low to high. You will see a lot of free e-books.

Last edited by QuantumIguana; 12-03-2013 at 01:50 PM.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #24
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
A huge overstatement since on that basis the Amazon Kindle store is a pirate haven. As others in this thread have noted lots of authors have a few of their titles free as an introduction and others for a few days as a marketing ploy.
I would never ever suggest that the Amazon store is a pirate haven. I neglected to use certain qualifying words in my post. Sorry. I didn't mean to imply that any and all sites offering free newly released books are pirated. I was referring to sites that offered ALL newly released, popular, in high demand or however you want to phrase it, for free, would, generally speaking, be problematic/not legal.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #25
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
A serious question: why do so many people write ".99c" when they actually mean "99c"?
Quote:
My guess is that it's peculiar to the US because one cent has always been .01 dollar. Since $.99 and 99¢ are equivalent and both are seen interchangeably on signs in shops, it's easy for Americans to get confused and add the extra decimal point if we're not thinking about it carefully. I've even seen professionally prepared sales flyers that make the mistake.

The English never got in the habit of writing £.99 instead of 99p because until relatively recently, 99 pence wasn't £.99, it was 8s 3d.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #26
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
The "c" symbol clearly specifies that it's money, does it not?
No more than S indicates money. I've never really understood why the cent symbol was removed from keyboards. Maybe it was considered redundant because you can use the $ and a decimal-but many people are clearly uncomfortable doing that so they use a "c" when they can't find the cent symbol. Personally I prefer a designation such as USD as that is unambiguous. (Does $0.99 mean US, Aus, or other currency?) Internationalization is a problem with money just as it is with language.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #27
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
In the old days of typewriter keyboards there was an actual cent symbol (a c with a line down through it) but while we still have an easily accessible dollar sign $ the cent symbol isn't included in the standard keyboard for computers, so I think that people put it as .99c in order to do the next best thing because they did do something similar back in the day of the typewriter.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #28
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
My guess is that it's peculiar to the US because one cent has always been .01 dollar. Since $.99 and 99¢ are equivalent and both are seen interchangeably on signs in shops, it's easy for Americans to get confused and add the extra decimal point if we're not thinking about it carefully. I've even seen professionally prepared sales flyers that make the mistake.

The English never got in the habit of writing £.99 instead of 99p because until relatively recently, 99 pence wasn't £.99, it was 8s 3d.
Is that 8 shillings 3 ducats Difflugia?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #29
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post

Actually, it was an I didn't think it through.. so sorry I will self punish ..bad boy, bad boy you are banned from posting for two days .. bad bad!
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #30
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Is that 8 shillings 3 ducats Difflugia?
Couldn't it be 3 dime?

Last edited by Katsunami; 12-03-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote