Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #16
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Ow wow! I had no idea the original Nook had that kind of battery issues. Even with the assumed exaggeration by B&N over the new Nook battery life, it should be quite a huge improvement.

Note: I'm NOT bashing B&N over the exaggeration. Most companies do this. I don't think I've ever gotten the EPA estimated fuel economy listed for any car I ever owned! Like a friend of mine used to say, "I don't lie, I just tell the truth 5 or 6 different ways." I think the eBook reader companies love to tell the truth 5 or 6 different ways too. That is why they pay big bucks for marketing people.

On the original nook it really depended on your activity. For example if I bought a newspaper I would go through the battery alot faster because you are constantly using the lcd screen to navigate through the sections and articles, same holds true for magazines etc as well as shopping around. And if you have the wifi on. Under these circumstances I would get maybe 3 days out of charge.

on the other hand if I was knee deep into my book, wifi off lcd screen timed to 10 seconds and just reading my novel, I can easily get 5 to 6 days out it. I could, If I really wanted to push it get 7 days.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #17
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
I took my Nook on a one week cruise and read daily for hours at a time, and only had to charge once.

I get about 9-10 hours on average from the Nookcolor, so BN was telling the truth there.

It all just depends on the book, the font sizes, etc. Nothing is ever cut and dry with these studies.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #18
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
I took my Nook on a one week cruise and read daily for hours at a time, and only had to charge once.

I get about 9-10 hours on average from the Nookcolor, so BN was telling the truth there.

It all just depends on the book, the font sizes, etc. Nothing is ever cut and dry with these studies.
No, but if you take two devices with very similar fonts (unless they both use the same font), you get a darn good representation on how many pages that battery will turn. You turn the page at the same time on both readers and see which one lasts the longest. That seems like a fair test to me.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:54 PM   #19
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
It's the bells and whistles that drain the battery - I can get a good month reading heavily (2 hours or more per day) on my Sony PRS-505. No wifi, no touchscreen. I never use the MP3 player.

My PRS-600 would run the battery down in half the time, even when left in sleep mode. That touch screen really sucked the juice.

If the new Sonys, Nook and Kobo are getting anywhere near the battery life they claim, then that IR touchscreen must be quite efficient compared to the resistive touchscreen of the 600.

Much as I liked some of the features of the Nook Classic, the relatively short battery life was a deal breaker, as well as the weight.

Yeah, I know some say if you don't have to charge it everyday then you shouldn't care, but the thing I like about my Sony is I don't have to think about it. Ever. Charge it once every few weeks and forget about it.

When someone here gets a Nook Touch, I'd be interested in battery life in the real world.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:15 PM   #20
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Here is a quote from the cited Engadget piece.
"We've also done a continuous page turn test and at one page turn per second, the All-New NOOK offers more than 25,000 continuous page turns on a single charge."

Lets see now. 25000/3600=6.944 hours. That's not very long. Doesn't the iPad beat that?

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert