Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: If simple life extension technology were available, how long would you want to live?
Not for me. I prefer Nature's way. 9 29.03%
100 years 1 3.23%
150 years 2 6.45%
200 years 0 0%
Less than 500 yesrs 1 3.23%
As long as could get the technology to work! 18 58.06%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2021, 10:15 PM   #16
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Whatever the answer may be, it has to fit in with the secret to (relative) happiness, as described here:

Quote:
A family went to a priest [sometimes, in this parable, a Zen master] and asked for a blessing written on a scroll. When they returned to pick it up, the priest had written “Grandfather dies. Father dies. Son dies. Grandson dies.” The family was pretty ticked, since apparently they were expecting one of those happy handmade signs you see on Pinterest and Etsy. The priest offered to reorder the blessing in a way to better suit the family, but he thought his original was a pretty good deal. If things happened in the sequence he had written, the family would avoid the worst grief life has to offer.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:33 PM   #17
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Would I have to keep working all those extra years?
It depends on whether you are a saver or a spender. And, if a saver, it depends on what investment strategies you follow.

P.S. This is not to say you should save money so you don't have to work. No work, while at the peak of your powers, seems to me unsatisfying, whether for ten years or a thousand. (Now, I count being a homemaker, and job retraining/education to try something new, as work.)

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 09-30-2021 at 10:39 PM.
Advert
Old 10-01-2021, 07:36 PM   #18
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I wonder if the average person could maintain interest in the world if they had an extended lifespan. I mean even in a normal span of say 100 yrs things can change so much. When John Rockerfeller was born for example we had yet to see the invention of the airplane, and by the time he passed away we'd reached the moon. Could you psychologically adapt to a world that would no doubt have changed in ways we can't even imagine today and still be able to find your way around? I'd think a person would feel very lost just trying to do the most basic things. I mean say someone born shortly after the telephone was to be transported to our present. Would they be able to figure out how to work a cell phone? Understand what traffic lights are? Be able to figure out how to turn a computer on (much less be able to search for information)? I expect such a person would be totally lost in our modern world. And most of us find it harder the older we get to adapt to new things.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:27 PM   #19
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I wonder if the average person could maintain interest in the world if they had an extended lifespan. I mean even in a normal span of say 100 yrs things can change so much. When John Rockerfeller was born for example we had yet to see the invention of the airplane, and by the time he passed away we'd reached the moon. Could you psychologically adapt to a world that would no doubt have changed in ways we can't even imagine today and still be able to find your way around? I'd think a person would feel very lost just trying to do the most basic things. I mean say someone born shortly after the telephone was to be transported to our present. Would they be able to figure out how to work a cell phone? Understand what traffic lights are? Be able to figure out how to turn a computer on (much less be able to search for information)? I expect such a person would be totally lost in our modern world. And most of us find it harder the older we get to adapt to new things.
It's one thing to be transported to another time, and another to live until it arrives. The world was quite a bit different in my childhood too (no computers, no internet, the constant fear of a nuclear war and so on). Older people find it hard to adapt because their brain also gets older and more inflexible. I imagine if one lived for hundreds of years while not aging biologically, they'd be able to adapt. Whether they'd want to or not, that's a whole other kettle of fish. It's perfectly possible they would not.

My 80-year-old father could use a smartphone and an Android tablet quite well before he died. So theoretically at least the ability to adapt is there. My mom, however, never learned to use any smart gadgets, including a computer. She just had no interest in such things, not because she was less intelligent than my dad was.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:44 AM   #20
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
My 80-year-old father could use a smartphone and an Android tablet quite well before he died. So theoretically at least the ability to adapt is there. My mom, however, never learned to use any smart gadgets, including a computer. She just had no interest in such things, not because she was less intelligent than my dad was.
Yes...my MIL, who passed away in July at 91, used a smart phone, (it was a struggle sometimes) and back 7-8 years ago, learned to use a computer enough so she could video chat with her sister in another state. The sister was in her 90's at the time. My MIL even managed to have a Facebook account so she could see pictures of the many grandkids, great-and great great grandkids.

My mom, who will be 91 next month, has little interest in tech stuff. She has a basic flip phone, to carry with her when she is out running errands. She lives on her own, and still drives. You'd never know she was almost 91 if you saw her. She is a bit frustrated by the multiple remote thing for her tv and cable box. But she did learn how to use the record feature for the dvr. (The cable box controls the tv perfectly, she just needs to not mess with the tv remote at all)

My mom is much more educated than my MIL was, and has been a reader her entire life. She just had zero interest in learning about the internet etc. My MIL was more motivated, especially at first so she could see and talk to her sister, who lived so far away. As her health worsened, the computer kept her world large.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2021, 09:09 PM   #21
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
delete

Last edited by bookyboy; 10-05-2021 at 10:27 PM.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:33 PM   #22
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
I have to be honest - I'm glad this sort of thing doesn't exist (yet).

One of the key abilities for society to change and evolve is that "people die".

When you see how inflexible and "against change" huge swaths of old people become -- and they end up with all the money and political power -- it becomes clear that our societal evolution would slow to an absolute crawl if people started living a lot longer.
That is not necessarily a bad thing. Not all change is for the better.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:34 PM   #23
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Delete

Last edited by bookyboy; 10-05-2021 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:25 PM   #24
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have to be honest - I'm glad this sort of thing doesn't exist (yet).
And I honestly don't want to die. Even more, I don't want my children and grandchildren to die.

Quote:

One of the key abilities for society to change and evolve is that "people die".

When you see how inflexible and "against change" huge swaths of old people become . . .
I think the original idea of the thread is that you don't get biologically elderly (see #4).

In your favor: Many today lock themselves into a POV or ideology or scientific paradigm well before their life is half over. The OP idea will give us more humans like that.

On the other hand: The worldwide decline in birth rates, now under way, will probably result in a big human population decline before this medical advance occurs. This means that the human population will already be heavily skewed towards the elderly coming into the medical revolution. The new eternal 40 year olds would then make our average psychological age younger.

I'm thinking that:

a. There's likely to one day, long after I'm dead, be a medical advance putting us in just the situation this thread proposes.

b. The effects on humanity are impossible to know in advance. Maybe suicide will be more socially acceptable. Or maybe, because parents will have to live with their sorrow for a much longer amount of time, suicide prevention measures (like accident prevention measures) will become extremely effective. This will, I'm guessing, be accompanied by an anti-suicide ethic making the OP survey into an absurdity.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 10-05-2021 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:26 PM   #25
bookyboy
Addict

Sorry I said anything.

I’m out
Old 10-09-2021, 12:42 PM   #26
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I really enjoy my life, but I don’t think I’d extend it beyond a full lifespan. To every thing there is a time and a season…..I don’t want to outlive the people I hold dear. The Earth’s resources are limited. And I suspect that even coffee & chocolate could get boring after a while.

Last edited by Victoria; 10-09-2021 at 12:52 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 03:36 AM   #27
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
I'm reminded of one of Elisabeth Moon's science fiction series, in a world where life extension has been available to the rich for about fifty years or so. One of the consequences is that opportunities for advancement have dried up -- in business, politics, the military: The ones on top stay on top. This leads to unrest, and military aggression to create more expansion room. An interesting take!

I wonder if life extension would make more people take the environmental crisis more seriously. If you know you'll live long enough to see even more severe results of global warming and ecocide, would you be more willing to act to keep it in check?
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:40 AM   #28
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm too late to vote, but I'm certainly in the As Long As Possible category.

I'm not sure I understand the "Not for me. I prefer Nature's way" crowd.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 02:29 PM   #29
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm not sure I understand the "Not for me. I prefer Nature's way" crowd.
That's easy. They have very small TBR piles.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:02 PM   #30
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That's easy. They have very small TBR piles.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote