Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-29-2017, 12:29 AM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Carbonman - have you tried installing the 64 bit version of calibre and re-running the conversion, as advised by Kovid Goyal.
64 bit is not a panacea. I converted one ebook which took over 28 hours and peaked at using 26GB of memory out of a total 32GB.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:18 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
64 bit is not a panacea. I converted one ebook which took over 28 hours and peaked at using 26GB of memory out of a total 32GB.
And using 32-bit Calibre, it would have failed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2017, 11:06 AM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Your advice ignored Kovids reply
If a conversion need more RAM than Win 32 supports, you need a 64 bit machine AND program
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:21 PM   #19
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650

Well, I can't really understand why this happen and the offered solutions sounds more like use a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
(sorry, it is maybe a bit unfair comparison, especially as I don't know anything about the book)

We had in the past as well huge omnibus ebooks that we convert in both directions between EPUB and Mobi using a 32 bit OS with calibre and mainly without memory problems. Hm, we are talking here about a 375 page EPUB as source.

I can't really believe that calibre isn't able to convert a "standard" sized book from EPUB to Mobi with calibre 32 bit and the only possible solution is to take a 64 bit system.

For me there is something else wrong. Maybe the book or something in the 32 bit conversion program itself? Don't know. The OP can check as first step the EPUB for errors with the calibre editor. If the book seems to be ok and the conversion error is still there, he should make a bug report and attach the file so that Kovid can take a quick look on it.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:26 PM   #20
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonman View Post
I am new to Calibre and I am having exactly this same problem. Sticks at 47%.

Seems an unlikely coincidence, but stranger things have happened.

I wondered if perhaps Calibre has some sort of file size limitation. The ePub source file is nearly 63megs.
What type of book is it? 63MB is very large for a typical ePub file. Calibre cannot successfully convert dictionaries. Also books with lots of references (e.g. the Bible) tend to fail as well.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2017, 11:54 PM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The amount of memory needed for a conversion has nothing to do with the number of pages. I can create a book file that has five pages and needs multiple gigabytes of memory. This is because the main usage of memory comes from representing the final style information for all nodes in the document. Conversion has to apply all style rules to all html nodes in the document and then keep the results in memory to make transformations on it. So either having lots of html tags or lots of css can both affect memory requirements.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:40 AM   #22
Carbonman
Carbonman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paper White
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Carbonman - have you tried installing the 64 bit version of calibre and re-running the conversion, as advised by Kovid Goyal.

It will use all the settings and libraries you already configured for the 32bit version. Providing you install programs in the default locations (i.e. Program Files for 64 bit, and Program Files (X86) for 32 bit) there is need to uninstall the existing 32bit before installing the 64bit - you can do it later.

BR
I have installed it, but just a few days ago Microsoft pushed an update for Win10 and since then my machine has been locking up before Calibre could complete the task. I have now updated the video card driver in the hope that doing so will fix the problem. I will see how it goes.
Carbonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:46 AM   #23
Carbonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
What type of book is it? 63MB is very large for a typical ePub file. Calibre cannot successfully convert dictionaries. Also books with lots of references (e.g. the Bible) tend to fail as well.
It is a book on an ancient photographic processing that is undergoing a revival these days. Lots of photographs.

But I have no idea how much formatting information it contains. Will wait and see.

The reason I'm converting it is that I am unable to comfortably read anything as long as a book on a computer screen. Even though my rather elderly Kindle Paper White does not display graphics and photographs very well, I find it much easier and more comfortable to read text on it than it is for me to read from a computer screen.

Last edited by Carbonman; 07-30-2017 at 03:54 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:48 AM   #24
Carbonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The amount of memory needed for a conversion has nothing to do with the number of pages. I can create a book file that has five pages and needs multiple gigabytes of memory. This is because the main usage of memory comes from representing the final style information for all nodes in the document. Conversion has to apply all style rules to all html nodes in the document and then keep the results in memory to make transformations on it. So either having lots of html tags or lots of css can both affect memory requirements.
Mr. Goyal:

Thanks for this information. I always find it helpful when I am having software problems to have a conceptual understanding of how the software works. I appreciate the information.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:59 AM   #25
Carbonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kindlegen is run from the command line. It does not have a GUI. You you need to open a command line to use Kindlegen.

kindlegen source.epub -c1 -o destination.mobi

That's the command you'd use. obviously changing the filenames as appropriate. You have to either have Kindlegen in your path or in the same directory as the ePub. You should be in the same directory as the ePub.
Thanks for the info.
I am familiar with using the command line, but it has been several years and I did not notice being told, at the download site, that kindlegen was to run from the command line.

I might have gotten there eventually, but your post and the command line syntax will be a great help.

Thanks for the assist.

Last edited by Carbonman; 07-30-2017 at 04:03 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:54 PM   #26
Carbonman

Mr. Goyal:

FYI the upgraded video driver seems to have cured the crashing problem.

OTOH the conversion has now been running 2737 minutes and is at 67%.

Is there any hope?

Jeff

P.S. Now up to 3851 minutes. The Windows Task Master is not locked up. CPU and Memory usage keep changing, up and down, so I assume the program is functioning.

P.P.S. Now chugging along at 5231 minutes elapsed and 67%. Still wondering if there is any hope this will succeed.

Last edited by Carbonman; 08-02-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:31 PM   #27
Carbonman

Well... That's a disappointment.

Calibre chugged away on my document for something like 80 hours (from 11pm July 28 to mid-evening on August 2 Getting, as far as ever saw, to 67%.

I left the house yesterday at 5pm. When I arrived home just after midnight the Calibre screen was gone. No converted file. No error report. Not the slightest hint of what happened.

Disappointing that and I have no way to know whether starting the process again will produce a more useful result.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:25 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Will you just stop trying to convert his thing with Calibre and give Kindlegen a try?
Old 08-04-2017, 01:47 AM   #29
Carbonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Will you just stop trying to convert his thing with Calibre and give Kindlegen a try?
I have. It did not work.

Its parting message was "MOBI cannot be generated because of errors", which I did not find even slightly useful.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:52 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonman View Post
I have. It did not work.

Its parting message was "MOBI cannot be generated because of errors", which I did not find even slightly useful.
Ok then, run the ePub through epubcheck to see what errors it has. That maybe the problem.