Old 06-12-2023, 07:33 AM   #2896
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post

I have a custom #kobodate column. (I also have a column icon that shows up if it's older than the fanfic-updated date.)
What date are you using for #kobodate?
I have an #updated column so I know when a book has been updated.

When I look at the device tab, the date is when I originally sent it to the device even if I have sent it again after updating.

Are you adding them to a new reading list when you update, so each list has a [date]?

I haven't quite figured this out and like your ideas.
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 08:59 AM   #2897
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
What date are you using for #kobodate?
I have an #updated column so I know when a book has been updated.

When I look at the device tab, the date is when I originally sent it to the device even if I have sent it again after updating.

Are you adding them to a new reading list when you update, so each list has a [date]?

I haven't quite figured this out and like your ideas.
I have only one reading list, Send to Device.

After the list syncs to device, I run the 'update on device' action chain. This sets #kobodate to the current datetime. But the date on the device tab will remain the same.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 06-12-2023 at 09:04 AM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2023, 09:04 AM   #2898
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
To update the TOC on device when it doesn't need it is harmless.
Unless there's ToC entries with duplicate names! That breaks the book on device and you need to delete and re-send it.

edit:though I think by default Kobo Utilities skips books that don't need updating.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 06-12-2023 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-12-2023, 07:37 PM   #2899
ormandj
ormandj began at the beginning.

Device: none
I just received a Libra2, and using the KTE driver, most of my books work just fine. I've disabled the KT plugin entirely.

That said, when I use the 'fetch news' functionality in Calibre (still on 6.19.1), the resultant documents are not possible to open on the Libra2, and report "Oops! This document couldn't be opened". I can't find any way to debug this to determine what the problem is. KTE is 3.6.3, and I do have KoboUtilities installed.

I've done the remove books/download cycle a few times, and I've tested a few other news sources, and seem to have the problem with all of them. Associated Press has been the main recipe I've tested, but I've also tried my own simple recipes, and have the same issue. The only thing I've customized as far as settings was enabling reading progress in Kobo Utilities. My Kobo Libra2 is FW 4.35.20400.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to proceed in determining what's wrong/why I can't open these generated news 'books'? This was one of the main drivers behind me purchasing a Kobo/using Calibre, so it is quite unfortunate.
ormandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 09:21 PM   #2900
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

just to be sure: does it work as expected with the regular KoboTouch driver?
Advert
Old 06-13-2023, 06:26 AM   #2901
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormandj View Post
"Oops! This document couldn't be opened".
I've had that issue when there was database corruption.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 08:48 AM   #2902
ormandj
ormandj began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
I've had that issue when there was database corruption.
How strange - I could open all my other books - but these didn't work. On a hunch, I factory reset, and that did resolve the issue. I just popped over here to let people know in case they ran into this, and saw your post. Nice catch.
ormandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 06:45 PM   #2903
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormandj View Post
How strange - I could open all my other books - but these didn't work.
I've seen database corruption like that where either new books don't work or some specific book (presumably with a corrupted database entry) doesn't work.
Old 06-13-2023, 08:40 PM   #2904
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
This was a common occurrence with a few FW updates a while back. It has been cured on current FW.
Other possible causes(??), is using The OS to remove/change the filename of books that had been 'processed'

Like Calibre, use the tools (device or Calibre) designed to manage, whenever possible.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 11:55 PM   #2905
compurandom
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
This was a common occurrence with a few FW updates a while back
While it is *much* better, I'm not convinced it is cured.
I'm still seeing minor database corruptions after side loading.
Old 06-14-2023, 05:16 AM   #2906
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
While it is *much* better, I'm not convinced it is cured.
I'm still seeing minor database corruptions after side loading.
I'm not seeing any database corruption.

Two things I do that work.
  1. I make sure the Kobo is at the home screen before plugging it into the computer.
  2. I make sure I properly eject it and I don't pull the USB cable until it I see the home screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 05:25 AM   #2907
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

How old is your device? My Aura HD had similar symptoms when the SD card started going bad.
Old 06-14-2023, 07:22 AM   #2908
compurandom
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm not seeing any database corruption.

Two things I do that work.
  1. I make sure the Kobo is at the home screen before plugging it into the computer.
  2. I make sure I properly eject it and I don't pull the USB cable until it I see the home screen.
I think that's necessary but not sufficient. I think there's more subtle things that can cause corruption, like side loading while it is generating covers or stuck trying to sync.

Also, I think there is database corruption that is very minor and difficult to detect but causes sync to fail.
Old 06-14-2023, 09:47 AM   #2909
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I think that's necessary but not sufficient. I think there's more subtle things that can cause corruption, like side loading while it is generating covers or stuck trying to sync.

Also, I think there is database corruption that is very minor and difficult to detect but causes sync to fail.
I'd know if I had a corrupt database before side loading any more eBooks. I use Kobo Utilities to backup my database and I would get notified that the database was corrupt.

I don't know if you can side load while generating covers. Covers generate very quickly. And while that's going on, I can't do anything else. I get this nice black screen with a bar showing the importing to the database.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 11:22 AM   #2910
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Do you leave the WiFi on while side loading?
(The menu is not available while 'connected', so any change would have to be done before )

I leave mine off. And I bet many side loader do also.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
error, kobo aura one