Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-23-2022, 04:17 PM   #196
visionary
visionary began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thanks for the reply.

Logging in terms of what was provided by gerhaher in the github thread.

The error is not fatal, but usb networking does not get enabled.

Do I fix it the same way by using the KoboUSBMS.tar.gz you provided in that thread?
visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 06:57 PM   #197
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionary View Post
Logging in terms of what was provided by gerhaher in the github thread.
In which context? That issue was dealing with KOReader's USBMS tool, that's pretty specific, and by design, requires debugging over Wi-Fi.

----

I'm fairly confident the errors don't actually prevent USBNet, but I don't have an affected device, so you'll have to debug that over Wi-Fi .

I'll try to push an updated script soon-ish, but it shouldn't really affect behavior.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2022, 07:28 PM   #198
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
In which context? That issue was dealing with KOReader's USBMS tool, that's pretty specific, and by design, requires debugging over Wi-Fi.

----

I'm fairly confident the errors don't actually prevent USBNet, but I don't have an affected device, so you'll have to debug that over Wi-Fi .

I'll try to push an updated script soon-ish, but it shouldn't really affect behavior.
Unfortunately, this error is preventing USB Net from being enabled. When I downgrade FW to the previous build (18838), then when I run usbnet-toggle, I see from ifconfig that the usb0 device is enabled. And I can ssh using the ip addr for usb0.

I had 18838 on my Libra 2, but then I went and installed Python, which seemed to also update my build to 19086. I'll have a look at the update script to see if I can prevent the update from happening.

Thanks NiLuiJe for the responses. I'll wait for your fix to be pushed.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:33 PM   #199
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just pushed r18901 .

Note that Core & Python (& Git) *may* all have *different* revision numbers (and they currently do, IIRC).

r19086 looks like a typo, I don't even have that many revisions *at all* in the repo .
Old 03-24-2022, 10:18 AM   #200
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I just pushed r18901 .

Note that Core & Python (& Git) *may* all have *different* revision numbers (and they currently do, IIRC).

r19086 looks like a typo, I don't even have that many revisions *at all* in the repo .
Thanks for the drop. I'll try it out on my device.

19086 is the version that's being shown on my device as shown in the attached image.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo_19086_version.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	192922
Advert
Old 03-24-2022, 10:34 AM   #201
visionary

NiLuJe the new drop fixes the issue I was seeing. The script complains about a bunch of modules, but completes and usb networking is enabled.

Code:
[admin@io root]# usbnet-toggle
* Switching from USBMS to USBNet . . .
insmod: can't insert '/drivers/mx6sll-ntx/usb/gadget/configfs.ko': invalid module format
! Could not load configfs.ko (it might be built-in on your device)
insmod: can't insert '/drivers/mx6sll-ntx/usb/gadget/libcomposite.ko': invalid module format
! Could not load libcomposite.ko (it might be built-in on your device)
insmod: can't insert '/drivers/mx6sll-ntx/usb/gadget/u_ether.ko': invalid module format
! Could not load u_ether.ko (it might be built-in on your device)
insmod: can't insert '/drivers/mx6sll-ntx/usb/gadget/usb_f_ecm.ko': File exists
! Could not load usb_f_ecm.ko (it might be built-in on your device)
insmod: can't insert '/drivers/mx6sll-ntx/usb/gadget/usb_f_eem.ko': File exists
! Could not load usb_f_eem.ko (it might be built-in on your device)
insmod: can't insert '/drivers/mx6sll-ntx/usb/gadget/usb_f_ecm_subset.ko': File exists
! Could not load usb_f_ecm_subset.ko (it might be built-in on your device)
insmod: can't insert '/drivers/mx6sll-ntx/usb/gadget/usb_f_rndis.ko': invalid module format
! Could not load usb_f_rndis.ko (it might be built-in on your device)
Another question about networking. Is WiFi necessary for USB networking to work? When I disable WiFi (I did this manually by disabling WiFi from the touch screen), I lose my ssh connection via USB. If so, does this mean I should use NickelMenu and ForceWifi?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-2022, 11:08 AM   #202
visionary

Sorry, one more thing. If I want to enable USB networking on boot, what is the best/proper way to do this?

My thought was to modify the rcS script to add the usbnet-toggle call at the end of the script. Not sure if this is the "right" way to do it.

Thanks in advance again.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:04 PM   #203
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thanks for the drop. I'll try it out on my device.

19086 is the version that's being shown on my device as shown in the attached image.
Attachment 192922
4.31.19086 is the Kobo firmware version and has nothing to do with NiLuJe's packages.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 02:20 PM   #204
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
4.31.19086 is the Kobo firmware version and has nothing to do with NiLuJe's packages.
Ah ok...thanks for clearing that up. It's interesting, that the FW version changed after I did the Python install. That's why I thought they were tied together.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:11 PM   #205
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Ah ok...thanks for clearing that up. It's interesting, that the FW version changed after I did the Python install. That's why I thought they were tied together.
Either you just hadn't noticed the update, or it was a fluke that it arrived at the same time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:08 PM   #206
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
NiLuJe the new drop fixes the issue I was seeing. The script complains about a bunch of modules, but completes and usb networking is enabled.
Yay! And, yeah, that's roughly the kind of output I was expecting, no worries .

Quote:
Another question about networking. Is WiFi necessary for USB networking to work? When I disable WiFi (I did this manually by disabling WiFi from the touch screen), I lose my ssh connection via USB.
No, the two are orthogonal: my first guess would be that you're not actually connecting over USB, but over Wi-Fi .
The only thing that will kill the network connection over USB would be the device going to suspend.

Quote:
If I want to enable USB networking on boot, what is the best/proper way to do this?
My very strong advice would be to not even attempt this, as it's a really good way to shoot yourself in the foot (possibly almost fatally, depending on how badly you break the rcS script ).

You shouldn't be rebooting often enough for that to matter, to be honest.

FWIW, my own setup is a NickelMenu/KFMo entry that toggles the script on demand (as well as the script itself being faved in KOReader for easy access from there).
Old 03-29-2022, 06:12 PM   #207
visionary

Thanks for the advice NiLuJe.

Maybe you can explain something about the dhcpd setup for usb0? When I use "ifconfg wlan0 down", and check /etc/resolv.conf, I get the following:
Code:
[admin@io root]# cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by dhcpcd
# /etc/resolv.conf.head can replace this line
# /etc/resolv.conf.tail can replace this line
With wlan0 down, I am unable to ping 8.8.8.8

This differs from the result when I have wlan0 and usb0 up.

Code:
[admin@io root]# cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by dhcpcd from wlan0
# /etc/resolv.conf.head can replace this line
domain home
nameserver 192.168.2.1
# /etc/resolv.conf.tail can replace this line
With both interfaces up, I can ping 8.8.8.8

Am I correct that the dhcp setting for usb0 isn't correct and it's the reason I cannot reach 8.8.8.8?

If so, what's the best way to set the dhcp settings for usb0? One idea I saw was to add "nohook resolv.conf" to /etc/dhcpd.conf to prevent /etc/resolv.conf from being overwritten.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:38 AM   #208
NiLuJe
BLAM!

That's easy : there isn't any . The USB setup relies on fixed addresses.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:05 AM   #209
iandol
Enthusiast
iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
Sorry to ask what is probably a very basic question. If I want to ensure key access for dropbear, can I just follow general instructions online for OpenSSH for setting up authentication (i.e. can I treat dropbear as if it was OpenSSH)? I have little experience of using authentication for SSH in general or dropbear in particular, a password alone would suffice but using keys teaches me something new...
iandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 01:11 PM   #210
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
You can just stick your public key in authorized_keys, same as on any computer. It may be possible that certain types of keys don't work which would in OpenSSH though.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssh, telnet, tools