Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-21-2022, 05:23 AM   #181
zecoj
zecoj began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Missing letter ư

@JSWolf,

Thanks for your work on this. Love this font but I think just found a bug. I found the letter ư is not displayed in italic at all although all accompanying accent marks are. Please see the screenshot for what I meant. Rectangles in red are where it should be displayed in italic. Rectangles in green are where it's displayed up correctly in normal font.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reader_2022-02-21_210555.png
Views:	863
Size:	360.3 KB
ID:	192412  
zecoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 03:02 PM   #182
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecoj View Post
@JSWolf,

Thanks for your work on this. Love this font but I think just found a bug. I found the letter ư is not displayed in italic at all although all accompanying accent marks are. Please see the screenshot for what I meant. Rectangles in red are where it should be displayed in italic. Rectangles in green are where it's displayed up correctly in normal font.
I used FontForge to take a quick look at Jon's ChareInk version of Charis SIL 5 in both the italic and regular version. As you can see from the attached image, the italic variant is missing all the accented lower case u with horns. This is corrected in the Charis SIL 6.101 version (see the third image).

I've been using the Charis SIL 6 with added weight and am quite happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Regular_Charis_u_with_tilde_&_horn.png
Views:	351
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	192418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Italic_Charis_u_with_tilde_&_horn.png
Views:	295
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	192419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Italic_Charis_u_with_tilde_&_horn_v6.101.png
Views:	286
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	192420  

Last edited by DNSB; 02-21-2022 at 03:06 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2022, 04:06 PM   #183
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was going to add this as an edit to my previous message but decided to add it as a new reply. The version of Charis SIL 6.101 I am using is a modified version, reducing the line spacing. For my personal use, renaming the font was not necessary but for this post, I've renamed the font to Charis6eInk to comply with requirements for posting modified versions. I did not change the font weight since I use the Advanced slider to change the font weight.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Charis6eInk.zip (1.42 MB, 700 views)

Last edited by DNSB; 02-22-2022 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 05:48 PM   #184
zecoj

Hey David,

Thanks for the insight and sharing your mod of version 6.101. I had a play with it but I think it's a bit too light for my taste.
Old 02-21-2022, 07:17 PM   #185
zecoj

So I used Fontforge to fixed those characters and found some few others in the BoldItalic file as well. Simply copy the vanilla u/U/O and "Paste into..." into the missing ones. Not sure if I've stuffed anything up in the process.

Sharing what I've fixed...
Attached Files
File Type: gz ChareInk-Italic-BoldItalic.tar.gz (542.2 KB, 195 views)
Advert
Old 02-21-2022, 09:58 PM   #186
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I did not change the font weight since I use the Advanced slider to change the font weight.
Quote:
Hey David,

Thanks for the insight and sharing your mod of version 6.101. I had a play with it but I think it's a bit too light for my taste.
That's why the comment about using the Advanced option to increase the font weight. This does assume that you have added that option in the KoboPatch installer.

As an alternative if you don't have the patch installed, you should be able to add:

Code:
readingFontWeight\Charis6eInk=0.67
under the [Reading] header in the Kobo eReader.conf file (located in the .kobo/Kobo directory).

Last edited by DNSB; 02-21-2022 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Added the fontweight option in the .conf file.
Old 02-21-2022, 10:00 PM   #187
zecoj

Quote:
That's why the comment about using the Advanced option to increase the font weight. This does assume that you have added that option in the KoboPatch installer.
Should have mentioned that I use KOreader and I couldn't produce the result I wanted with the Font Weight option...
Old 02-21-2022, 10:27 PM   #188
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Should have mentioned that I use KOreader and I couldn't produce the result I wanted with the Font Weight option...
Yeah, KOReader does it's own thing with fonts.
Old 02-22-2022, 03:01 PM   #189
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
I was going to add this as an edit to my previous message but decided to add it as a new reply. The version of Charis SIL 6.101 I am using is a modified version to reducing the line spacing. For my personal use, renaming the font was not necessary but for this post, I've renamed the font to Charis6eInk to comply with requirements for posting modified versions. I did not change the font weight since I use the Advanced slider to change the font weight.
This font is excellent. Thank you for sharing!
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 07:55 AM   #190
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I was going to add this as an edit to my previous message but decided to add it as a new reply. The version of Charis SIL 6.101 I am using is a modified version, reducing the line spacing. For my personal use, renaming the font was not necessary but for this post, I've renamed the font to Charis6eInk to comply with requirements for posting modified versions. I did not change the font weight since I use the Advanced slider to change the font weight.
Does it have kerning? What I've been thinking of doing is using the kerning table(s) I have with ChareInk to make a new version using the v6.x Charis SIL.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 02:47 PM   #191
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does it have kerning? What I've been thinking of doing is using the kerning table(s) I have with ChareInk to make a new version using the v6.x Charis SIL.
Out of the box, I don't think that the 6.101 Charis SIL has kerning.
Old 04-15-2022, 03:26 PM   #192
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was wondering if you added kerning. I added kerning to Charis SIL to ChareInk. I'm thinking of pulling out the kerning tables and adding them to the latest version of Charis SIL. I'll edit the line spacing to match and yes, some added glyphs won't have kerning, but they will be the lesser used glyphs.
Old 04-19-2022, 02:52 PM   #193
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
That is interesting! I thought most fonts have some type of kerning. I mean it is kind of dangerous to not have kerning, otherwise you can end up with some pretty illegible text. An easy way to tell bad kerning is to turn the text upside down. A lot of times, gaps will stand right out.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 03:53 PM   #194
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
That is interesting! I thought most fonts have some type of kerning. I mean it is kind of dangerous to not have kerning, otherwise you can end up with some pretty illegible text. An easy way to tell bad kerning is to turn the text upside down. A lot of times, gaps will stand right out.
When I check the Font Info in FontForge, using the Lookup tool, none of the tables under the GPOS tab show any content whereas in a font that has kerning there are entries with content.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:26 PM   #195
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
When I check the Font Info in FontForge, using the Lookup tool, none of the tables under the GPOS tab show any content whereas in a font that has kerning there are entries with content.
What I am planning on doing is saving the GPOS tables and then importing them with the newer Charis SIL. I'll see how that goes. I'm not sure if I'll make a version with added weight. But I'll decide on that some other time.