Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 07:57 AM   #1486
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
The possum's just gone on his nightly attack on the wisteria and there's a bandicoot under the hibiscus. The garden looks a bit sad as autumn is here and we don't get lots of colour.
I knew about your possums there (NOT like the ones here!) from another thread, but I had to google "bandicoot!"
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #1487
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
bandicoots is cool!

especially Crash Bandicoot.

Last edited by kennyc; 04-30-2011 at 08:26 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #1488
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Pic 1: Angelica - it's a small one, but I thought that might give it a better chance to survive being transplanted.

Pic 2 (from left to right):
First bag: dill, mint, tarragon, chervil, parsley and spearmint hiding behind it.
The dill is a supermarket plant, and I just put it in there as an experiment to see if it would survive. Both mints are small right now, but I expect they'll try to take over the bag in a few more weeks.

Second bag: Lemon (or mint?*) thyme (it's hiding), sage, thyme and rosemary.

* A friend of mine is convinced it's mint thyme, but I'm not sure. It's so small because it suffered a drought in my windowsill a month ago

The bags are IKEA bags that I've altered slightly. I got the idea after reading about these plant containers (http://www.bacsac.fr/) - horribly expensive. The IKEA bags are free except for about an hours product development, and then one hour's work per bag.

I've probably too many plants per bag, so I might have to go to IKEA again But right now it's still somewhat cool and only barely no night frosts, so I expect the bags will be enough at least until well into June.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	angelica.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	70719   Click image for larger version

Name:	herbgarden.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	368.1 KB
ID:	70720  
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #1489
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Very nice Ea, the Ikea bags are a very cool idea!
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #1490
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Very nice Ea, the Ikea bags are a very cool idea!
Thanks - I think so too!
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 09:59 AM   #1491
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Pic 1: Angelica - it's a small one, but I thought that might give it a better chance to survive being transplanted.

Pic 2 (from left to right):
First bag: dill, mint, tarragon, chervil, parsley and spearmint hiding behind it.
The dill is a supermarket plant, and I just put it in there as an experiment to see if it would survive. Both mints are small right now, but I expect they'll try to take over the bag in a few more weeks.

Second bag: Lemon (or mint?*) thyme (it's hiding), sage, thyme and rosemary.

* A friend of mine is convinced it's mint thyme, but I'm not sure. It's so small because it suffered a drought in my windowsill a month ago

The bags are IKEA bags that I've altered slightly. I got the idea after reading about these plant containers (http://www.bacsac.fr/) - horribly expensive. The IKEA bags are free except for about an hours product development, and then one hour's work per bag.

I've probably too many plants per bag, so I might have to go to IKEA again But right now it's still somewhat cool and only barely no night frosts, so I expect the bags will be enough at least until well into June.
I love this, and I have about 5 or 6 ikea bags already! I'd love to plant a couple of tomato plants this way -- do you think that would work? I couldn't tell from the website exactly what kind of modifications I would need to make to the ikea bag -- could you tell me what you did? Genius!
Old 04-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #1492
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
add soil
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #1493
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
Adding grommeted holes at the bottom for drainage, maybe? Those are a great idea, anyway.

We've got Forget-me-nots and lilies of the valley at the moment.

EDIT: fixed the link

Last edited by Anke Wehner; 04-30-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: broken link
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #1494
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
we have lily of the valley leaves, but the flowers are not, yet, out - but the forget-me-nots are - also blue violets....

we also have water connected outside after a wee leak
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #1495
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Wild Fennel.
It is a perennial. I have it since several years. In this place at least since 3.
The stems give a fantastic aroma to pork roasts. The leafs and the barb (you can see one) are the basic ingredients in the culinary masterpiece from sicily that goes with name of pasta con le sarde (sardines), with pine nuts and raisins and plenty of the fennel. Instead of parmesan, they use bread crumbs fried in fat.
(the link is to Italian wikipedia, sorry, no English, but there is the recipe and one can googleize it).

Name:	IMG_0521.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	646.6 KB
ID:	70747
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #1496
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
I love this, and I have about 5 or 6 ikea bags already! I'd love to plant a couple of tomato plants this way -- do you think that would work? I couldn't tell from the website exactly what kind of modifications I would need to make to the ikea bag -- could you tell me what you did? Genius!
Thank you I think it would work very well for tomatoes.

I've attached a photo of an empty bag, so it's easier to see what I've altered. Basically I did:
1. narrowed it a bit by taking it in - sewing a "pleat" from one end to the other. Not strictly necessary, just thought they'd be too large if I didn't.
2. sewed seams at the corners to give the shape a bit of definition (purely decoration, but simple to do)
3. cut off the long handles and used the bands to create a "wall" in the middle, to keep it together, by attaching the bands into decorative seams down the middle of the long sides. Else the bag would have ended up looking more like a wide tub and been less stable.

The bag with angelica has a different shape, taller and narrower. I took it in a bit on the wide side, to create more of a deep tub shape. It also has no bands crossing in the middle - not necessary.

A tip: I used very long stiches as the stitching also perforates the material and small stitches would have weakened the material at the seams considerably. And used polyester thread of course (less chance of rot).

What I would do differently next time: put the top band at the level of the soil. I'm not sure why I didn't fill them up more, but the amount of soil seemed appropriate - in all three together there's 180 litre of soil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anke Wehner View Post
Adding grommeted holes at the bottom for drainage, maybe? Those are a great idea, anyway.
The bags are made from woven plastic, so it drains fine without holes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IKEAbag.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	386.1 KB
ID:	70748  

Last edited by Ea; 04-30-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #1497
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Gardenias, among other things. I should take a picture.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #1498
cmargm
Enthusiast
cmargm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
There is still some snow! It was added to by more snow yesterday! The rhubarb is trying to poke up through this mess.
cmargm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:16 PM   #1499
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Weeds......What else can grow in a garden?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #1500
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Thank you I think it would work very well for tomatoes.

I've attached a photo of an empty bag, so it's easier to see what I've altered. Basically I did:
1. narrowed it a bit by taking it in - sewing a "pleat" from one end to the other. Not strictly necessary, just thought they'd be too large if I didn't.
2. sewed seams at the corners to give the shape a bit of definition (purely decoration, but simple to do)
3. cut off the long handles and used the bands to create a "wall" in the middle, to keep it together, by attaching the bands into decorative seams down the middle of the long sides. Else the bag would have ended up looking more like a wide tub and been less stable.

The bag with angelica has a different shape, taller and narrower. I took it in a bit on the wide side, to create more of a deep tub shape. It also has no bands crossing in the middle - not necessary.

A tip: I used very long stiches as the stitching also perforates the material and small stitches would have weakened the material at the seams considerably. And used polyester thread of course (less chance of rot).

What I would do differently next time: put the top band at the level of the soil. I'm not sure why I didn't fill them up more, but the amount of soil seemed appropriate - in all three together there's 180 litre of soil.

The bags are made from woven plastic, so it drains fine without holes.
Oh, thank you so much! I think I might try the single bag like you have the anjelica in (and square it up a bit as you did).