Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-03-2023, 04:41 PM   #136
Grok
Grok
Grok began at the beginning.

Device: iPad & Kindle. Readle PDF Expert Pro, Google Play Books, Marvin
My goal is reading AND Writing this year

I have several historical articles and several religious articles which I have been thinking about for years and I am determined to get at least one article published this year.

In conjunction with this goal, and keeping pace that I have set over the past several years, I will be reading/listening to around 50 books next year. I’m not sure how to measure in pages because different formats use different metrics, and audiobooks can only be measured by page in terms of their sources, added to the fact that page-count changes when one changes the vision settings for “older” eyes, but that is a lot like cheating on a page-length requirement in college by using a larger font, increasing line-spacing, and/or monkeying with the margins. But I’d say around 50 books with an equivalent in physical paper pages in published books of about 300 pages per book. So… 15,000 pages? Give or take. (And not counting academic or legal reading that I do all day for a living.)

Yeah, I’m basically a big fat lump of physical body housing a brain that reads and writes. Not balanced at all.

But I do “know” stuff.

Grok

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-03-2023 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Religious/political overshare
Grok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 06:08 PM   #137
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Moderator Notice
A post has been edited to remove content. Politics and Religion are not be discussed in open forum. Please join the Hardened Debaters group if you wish to engage in P&R topics.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2023, 01:49 AM   #138
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I finished the last of my 6 Storygraph Reading Challenges today and as long as I read no more than 12 more before the end of the year, I'll achieve my goal of halving last year's total. Another reductiion coming in 2024 too, I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	challenges.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	205030  
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 02:19 AM   #139
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The 2024 threads are up!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=357563
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 11:49 PM   #140
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I did NOT track my reading well this year and hardly updated year. Not my best year but had some strong months and enjoyed it, work was busy. Will try to track more frequently next year, mainly tracking trends at the end of December when all is said and done.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2023, 12:06 PM   #141
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Doing some updates now in my thread since last time I updated here was in March. Did not stick to some of the goals this year. Spreadsheet wise been working on some changes past few months to keep it easier going forward. I have personally removed tracking a few things - No longer Protagonist Gender, Diversity Category, If Reviewed, Year of Purchase read for current year, or romance type broken down by year.

Carrying over same goals in 2024 for many of the physical bookshelf goals did not get to this year. Did well with publishing, library borrow, book count goals. Also expanded on some more countries with a physical library challenge.
Old 12-05-2023, 06:13 PM   #142
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Doing some updates now in my thread since last time I updated here was in March.
FWIW, I note in my own thread each year that I'm too lazy to update, so I just link to various Goodreads threads related to my goals. And since you're happy to link to your GR account yourself, I'm just throwing that out as a possibility to alleviate the nuisance of updating here.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 06:15 PM   #143
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
FWIW, I note in my own thread each year that I'm too lazy to update, so I just link to various Goodreads threads related to my goals. And since you're happy to link to your GR account yourself, I'm just throwing that out as a possibility to alleviate the nuisance of updating here.
Probably not a bad idea for me going forward. Every year I intend to update here regularly but never keep up with it. I removed trying to track by month here with all read as the count is too high and it's just too much! You have the right idea.
Old 12-06-2023, 02:19 AM   #144
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you track your reading elsewhere, it's fine for you post in the list thread to just be a link to where you track your books.
Old 12-06-2023, 10:42 AM   #145
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
It was goodreads I couldn't be bothered with. Mobileread is the main place I track my goals. I do have my own spreadsheets, but they're mainly just the lists not the goals. I have been thinking I should perhaps save a local copy of my historical challenge posts, just in case.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 11:45 AM   #146
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I finally Finished Priory of the Orange Tree
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 03:45 AM   #147
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I don't think I'm going to finish anything else before the end of the year, so I updated my List Post with my year end stats. It was a good year.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 04:08 AM   #148
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Another year gone. And I met my goal! My TBR is down by 22.

However, I did buy 132 books, an increase on 2022. I shall try to exercise more restraint in 2023.
Old 01-01-2024, 08:25 AM   #149
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I can't rest on my oars, especially in regard to the StoryGraph challenge, where I need to read two more books, but that said.... I'm in amazingly good shape. I could end the year hitting all my goals and it's been eons since I've done that. Knock wood, fingers crossed etc.
In the end, I was one book shy of hitting/exceeding all my goals. It was the StoryGraph challenge that did me in. It was the usual issue of reading less in December, between company and jollity. Oh, well. I comfort myself that in a way one book short is ideal; it shows that challenges really did challenge.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 10:22 AM   #150
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
My closeout for my 2023 goals. Met a couple of them. Good inroads on others. Total failure on reducing TBR.

60 books: 64 Goal Met!!
20,000 pages: 23,127 Goal Met!!
6 books over 600 pages: 4
6 books from GR WantToRead: 1
Storygraph Mobile Reads Challenge: 10/12
Read 12 ebooks costing over $6: 9

TBR Down 10 for each category:
Ebooks: Up 155
Audiobooks: UP 116
Magazines: Down 1
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote