Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-12-2024, 10:00 AM   #136
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Back to the topic of IDs. This is actual code from an eBook where the <a> should be removed if it's not being used.

Code:
lit<a id="page10"></a>tle world
Thats a different thread...the Code Bloat thread
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 10:06 AM   #137
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwhite13 View Post
I'd be really grateful if someone explained to me why did JSWolf say that in the quoted scenario I'm losing the caps, I'd like to understand.
When you are reducing the size of the font, you want the capitals to be full size capitals.

THIS IS INCORRECT. THIS IS CORRECT.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2024, 10:09 AM   #138
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is a paragraph with Death speaking.

<p>A<span class="small_caps">LL RIGHT, YOU’VE MADE YOUR POINT</span>, said Death. W<span class="small_caps">HAT PRECISELY WAS IT YOU WISHED TO KNOW</span>? Q<span class="small_caps">UITE A LOT OF THINGS HAPPENED THIS MORNING, PEOPLE WERE BORN, PEOPLE DIED, ALL THE TREES GREW A BIT TALLER, RIPPLES MADE INTERESTING PATTERNS ON THE SEA</span>—</p>
Old 02-12-2024, 10:13 AM   #139
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW3 [KOReader]
Quote:
Back to the topic of IDs. This is actual code from an eBook where the <a> should be removed if it's not being used.

Code:
lit<a id="page10"></a>tle world
In my opinion, if it's not being used, there's no harm in deleting it, but there's no harm in leaving it in either (just like with metadata you don't need). The thing is, the page breaks aren't exported automatically by InDesign, you have to run a script and tidy them a bit, so I have to wonder why someone went to the trouble of doing that and then left them in. In any case, if it was a book I cared about, I'd do it differently -- I'd finish what was started and I'd build a page list using those id's, and I'd feel good about having the best possible version. But that's me, I also love long, verbose metadata
paperwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 10:16 AM   #140
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
When you are reducing the size of the font, you want the capitals to be full size capitals.

THIS IS INCORRECT. THIS IS CORRECT.
That's what you want, but it's not what I want, I've already said what I want when posting that--no regular capitals at all, check the original:

Advert
Old 02-12-2024, 10:17 AM   #141
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
My response in #122 was asking why he kept the space outside of the <small> tags. Hopefully he will answer.

In general, the technique is used to simulate small-caps… where capital letters would still be displayed larger than the lower case letters. That is done automatically using the font-variant:small-caps on devices that support it.
This is a paragraph with Death speaking. It uses a smaller font size.

<p>A<span class="small_caps">LL RIGHT, YOU’VE MADE YOUR POINT</span>, said Death. W<span class="small_caps">HAT PRECISELY WAS IT YOU WISHED TO KNOW</span>? Q<span class="small_caps">UITE A LOT OF THINGS HAPPENED THIS MORNING, PEOPLE WERE BORN, PEOPLE DIED, ALL THE TREES GREW A BIT TALLER, RIPPLES MADE INTERESTING PATTERNS ON THE SEA</span>—</p>

I've edited the CSS so it is using font-variant: small-caps. I moved the capitol letter inside the span and it fails as the capitol is a small-cap and not a true capitol. You do need to break up at least the words with at least two letters.

<p><span class="small_caps">ALL RIGHT, YOU’VE MADE YOUR POINT,</span> said Death. <span class="small_caps">WHAT PRECISELY WAS IT YOU WISHED TO KNOW? QUITE A LOT OF THINGS HAPPENED THIS MORNING, PEOPLE WERE BORN, PEOPLE DIED, ALL THE TREES GREW A BIT TALLER, RIPPLES MADE INTERESTING PATTERNS ON THE SEA</span>—</p>

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-12-2024 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:26 AM   #142
paperwhite13
Zealot

Mixing full size capitals with small caps is a matter of taste, not of grammar, but anyone is free to quote whatever grammar guide they're using to prove their point.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:29 AM   #143
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Mixing full size capitals with small caps is a matter of taste, not of grammar, but anyone is free to quote whatever grammar guide they're using to prove their point.
It's not a matter of grammar. It's how it's written. The question is how to best implement it in an eBook so it works in all cases.

I have found a way that might work.

In the first CSS file.
Code:
small {
  font-size: 0.8333em;
}
in the next CSS file.
Code:
@supports (font-variant: small-caps) {
small {
  font-size: 1em;
  font-variant: small-caps;
  text-transform: lowercase;
}

Now if @supports causes the entire CSS to be ignored in ADE/RMSDK, it won't matter as it's in a separate CSS file.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-12-2024 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:30 AM   #144
paperwhite13
Zealot

Quote:
It's not a matter of grammar. It's how it's written.
I've just shown you an edition that proves otherwise Again, you're free to quote the rule from anywhere.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:33 AM   #145
paperwhite13
Zealot

You go with a publisher's style, but neither of them is breaking any rules.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:38 AM   #146
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
This is how it should look. This is the code as is.

Old 02-12-2024, 10:40 AM   #147
paperwhite13
Zealot

It shouldn't look one way or the other; it's just how you like it and how you're used to it, it's a different thing. We should be able to find a source that says otherwise, don't you agree?
Old 02-12-2024, 10:46 AM   #148
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I've just shown you an edition that proves otherwise Again, you're free to quote the rule from anywhere.
I've shown you an edition that proves your wrong.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:47 AM   #149
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
That's what you want, but it's not what I want, I've already said what I want when posting that--no regular capitals at all, check the original:

Any of the Discworld books I picked off the shelf (I have all on paper) the sentences use a regular capital at the start. Maybe some were different and like comic book style.
I did check Reaper Man for my original comment.

ISBN 0 552 13464 3
Gorgi reprinted 1997 of 1992 edition.
EAN ISBN 978 0552 134644 (because check digit changes)

Edit:
I checked the Colour of Magic and it's all caps, but a smaller size, sort of bolder than I expect actual 'small-caps'. 1983 edition reprinted 1994. However it turns out that Death is busy and it's the Demon Scrofula.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-12-2024 at 10:56 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 10:48 AM   #150
paperwhite13
Zealot

THIS IS CORRECT. THIS IS ALSO CORRECT. (for a title)

Tags
indesign, sigil