Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 05-10-2024, 09:05 PM   #1
RMOP
Connoisseur
RMOP began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, TabPRO 8.4, Galaxy Light, Sony PRS-300
2 em-dash & 3 em dash

Is there any way to insert the 2 em-dash and 3 em-dash using the Calibre editor? Using serial em-dashes is the best I've been able to manage, but that risks having a line break when the longer 2 em-dash or 3 em-dash is needed. I tried pasting those characters, but they didn't display as expected.
RMOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 09:16 PM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Try this.

2em dash. Type 2e3a then press alt-x
3em dash. Type 2e3b then press alt-x
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 09:27 AM   #3
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Never mind

Last edited by phossler; 05-13-2024 at 07:54 AM.
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 09:54 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
On Linux en-dash is Compose --. and em-dash is Compose ---
Other longer dashes risk not being displayed in an ereader or app.
Gives:

You can copy/paste those too.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 09:56 AM   #5
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle epub readers on android
dashes via special characters, snippets, compose

I make all these different kinds of dashes with snippets or .Xcompose. If you are in tag editor you can click 'insert special character' and search for 'dash' to see them all. From there, it is easy to make a calibre snippet. Or, if you prefer, there are .Compose key inputs for some. For the ones missing in .Compose you can make your own in .Xcompose. Best regards, Pop
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2024-05-11 08-23-48.png
Views:	24
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	208195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2024-05-11 08-25-12.png
Views:	28
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	208196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2024-05-11 08-27-03.png
Views:	22
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	208197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2024-05-11 08-38-47.png
Views:	23
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	208198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2024-05-11 08-40-33.png
Views:	21
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	208199  
rjwse@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 03:07 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Am I missing something here? This the EDITOR section.
There is a character tool IN the Editor

The icon is black and white crossed pages (letter A showing on the black)
en and em spaces are some of the first showing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ed-chartool.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	208200  
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 03:12 PM   #7
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Am I missing something here?
Yep, the OP wants 2em and 3em which is not shown. You have underlined spaces, not dashes.

https://www.compart.com/en/unicode/U+2E3A
https://www.compart.com/en/unicode/U+2E3B
Old 05-11-2024, 04:03 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A

oops
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 06:49 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Yep, the OP wants 2em and 3em which is not shown.
And the Elephant in the room is that they may not work. Which is why I suggested stick to regular en and em dashes.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 06:59 PM   #10
Karellen
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
And the Elephant in the room is that they may not work. Which is why I suggested stick to regular en and em dashes.
I've never used them, but I did wonder if they were included in any of the default font files for ereaders.

And the suggestion by @rjwse@aol.com of using a negative letter spacing, is probably not recommended either. I know it does not work on the Kobo Libra 2 which I tried to use once for a heading, which worked nicely on the Calibre viewer, but not on the Kobo.
Old 05-11-2024, 07:23 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why would you want 2 & 3 em-dashes? They will look very much off.

Just use a single em-dash.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 07:41 PM   #12
Karellen
Wizard

... or create a line in a graphics program or an svg line.
Old 05-12-2024, 03:51 PM   #13
RMOP
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Try this.

2em dash. Type 2e3a then press alt-x
3em dash. Type 2e3b then press alt-x
Karellen,

Many thanks. I'd found that the 2-em dash, when copied/pasted, generated a control character in the Calibre editor. I didn't look any further, but after your reply, found that the 2e3a Alt-X sequence creates the identical control character in the editor. This time, I bothered to look at the viewer as well, and there was the 2-em dash, plain as day. Oddly, the 3-em dash displays as such in both the editor and viewer (i.e., no control character). I'll report back if there are display problems on my actual eReaders.

Last edited by RMOP; 05-12-2024 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-12-2024, 03:58 PM   #14
RMOP
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why would you want 2 & 3 em-dashes? They will look very much off.

Just use a single em-dash.
Why, indeed? Because the author of the books I've converted to ePub format uses them, and it would look very much off if I didn't follow suite. He uses the em dash very frequently, the 2-em dash infrequently, and the 3-em dash only a very few times and in only one book. He uses each type of em dash for different purposes, and while his style is a bit eccentric, so is his content, and I enjoy being as consistent w it as possible.
Old 05-12-2024, 06:36 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMOP View Post
Why, indeed? Because the author of the books I've converted to ePub format uses them, and it would look very much off if I didn't follow suite. He uses the em dash very frequently, the 2-em dash infrequently, and the 3-em dash only a very few times and in only one book. He uses each type of em dash for different purposes, and while his style is a bit eccentric, so is his content, and I enjoy being as consistent w it as possible.
What are 2 and 3 em dashes used for?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote