Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-30-2024, 06:37 AM   #1
rsbrux
Enthusiast
rsbrux began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300 replaced by Onyx Boox Poke 3
Error in creating author_sort

Having created a custom column "Author Sort" as described in this post, I can see that the author_sort fields have generally been populated as expected with <lastname>, <firstname>. However, "Mars Girl" by Jeff Garrity has "Jeff Garrity" in the author_sort field, even after attempting to force a recalculation as described here.
I am not sure the recalculation worked, because there was no visible sign of activity or response to the steps described in the FAQ. How can I figure out what is wrong?
rsbrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 07:08 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My guess is that the space between 'Jeff' and 'Garrity' in the Authors field is not a regular space. Try re-entering it for the Mars Girl book in Metadata Edit, and then click the button to recalculate the Author Sort, hopefully you'll see Garrity, Jeff.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 09:38 AM   #3
rsbrux
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip. I tried editing the metadata as you suggested but see no effect. The metadata editor does show an error for the author sort field (see attachment), but I don't know what to make of it or how to correct it. Which "button to recalculate" are you referring to? I only know one way to recalculate, which is to call up the "Manage Authors" dialog by right-clicking on "Authors" in the left-hand pane and then click on the button labeled "Recalculate all author sort values". As previously noted, I am not convinced that this is having any effect. Shouldn't I see some visible indication? Is there another way to do this, perhaps for an individual author or title? I am using Calibre 7.7.0 running under Windows 10.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EditMetadata.png
Views:	42
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	207244   Click image for larger version

Name:	ManageAuthors.png
Views:	29
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	207245  
Old 03-30-2024, 10:05 AM   #4
rsbrux
Enthusiast

P.S. I just noticed a discrepancy between what the main window and the "Edit Metadata" dialog show and what the "Manage Authors" dialog shows. According to "Manage Authors", "Dante Alighieri" has been parsed into the author sort field as "Alighieri, Dante", yet the custom column in the main window, which corresponds to the field in the "Edit Metadata" dialog, shows "Dante Alighieri" in the author sort field.
If I look at "La Divina Commedia ..." in "Edit Metadata", it shows errors for both author and title sort fields. I suppose that would explain why the title sort isn't working as I expected it to in the other thread we are conversing in, but have no idea what I can do to correct it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	InconsistentAuthorSort.png
Views:	21
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	207247   Click image for larger version

Name:	EditMetadatSortFieldErrors.png
Views:	25
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	207248  

Last edited by rsbrux; 03-30-2024 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-30-2024, 10:10 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Manage allows Non Standard sorts (1 shot overrides) (It will stay Red in the MDE)
The Tweak sets the "standards" that clicking the set sort button in the MDE will use (and those will be green) and applies to all NEW uses of the set sort button
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 10:25 AM   #6
rsbrux
Enthusiast

P.P.S The option "Automatically set author sort" in the bulk metadata dialog had the expected effect on both "Dante Alighieri" and "Jeff Garrity" and corrected the error messages in the individual "Edit Metadata" dialogs. I wonder why the "Recalculate" button in the "Manage Authors" dialog didn't work.
The only downside is that "Cervantes Saavedra, Miguel de" became "Saavedra, Miguel de Cervantes". I fixed that with the option "Edit sort ..." in the popup menu for authors in the left-hand pane. This fixed the author sort without provoking an error in the "Edit Metadata" dialog.

Checking the box "update title" as well also parsed the foreign articles (see this thread) correctly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AutomaticallySetSort.png
Views:	19
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	207249  

Last edited by rsbrux; 03-30-2024 at 10:38 AM. Reason: fixed Cervantes, linked related thread
Old 03-30-2024, 05:29 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Where did your library come from?

Did you create & curate it or did you download it.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 06:42 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
An author can have books in multiple languages, so the only constant available to Manage authors is the interface language.

Edit metadata, bulk and single, operate on books so the book's language is available. However, if the author has books in multiple languages then the answers might be different depending on the book.

If using manage authors then you should enter the author sort value you want for *all* the author's books irrespective of language. The value may or may not be what the compute function produces. This process also allows you to fix problems such as the one you mentioned, Cervantes, others where the de/la/etc are not "particles" but are instead part of the surname, and east Asian names where the surname comes first without a comma.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 01:54 AM   #9
rsbrux
Enthusiast

@BetterRed, I put the library together myself, out of books downloaded from various sources. Thanks for your help!

@chaley, Thanks for the tips! I think I’ve got the hang of it now.

Tags
author sort, recalculate