Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 12-14-2023, 06:01 AM   #1
nurbles62
nurbles62 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for Samsung Tablets
Cannot start content server after Windows update

Last night, Windows 10 Pro updated itself and now Calibre can no longer start its content server. The error message is:
Quote:
calibre, version 7.1.0
ERROR: Failed to start Content server: Could not start the Content server. Error:

No socket could be created -- (('192.168.1.50', 53061): [WinError 10013] An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions)
This worked fine when I went to bed, but fails this morning after Windows Updated and rebooted my machine during the night. I've also rebooted a couple times myself, too, and it just doesn't want to work any more.

Only Windows updated or changed. Any ideas or suggestions of how to resolve would be appreciated. Thanks!
nurbles62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 06:18 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Reboot in safe mode and see if it works. Also try to add exceptions for calibre in your firewall/antivirus software since that is what is most likely blocking calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 05:42 AM   #3
nurbles62
nurbles62 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for Samsung Tablets
Thanks, I already tried the firewall test, but the product I use (ESET Smart Security Premium) does not prevent programs from opening sockets, it just blocks all of the traffic to/from those sockets.

And, strangely, I did nothing at all -- I left the machine running when I went to work -- and when I got home and rebooted once more, the content server worked fine. Windows was no longer preventing access to the port I use due to permissions.

So, the problem is gone, but IMO without any actual resolution. However, it was surely a Windows issue, not calibre. I only posted here in case it was a common thing after the most recent Windows update. Thanks for taking the time to think about it!
nurbles62 is offline   Reply With Quote