Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-22-2023, 01:29 PM   #31
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
ARC should have the final proofing.

Serious print/publish proofing starts when the author has finished writing/editing.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 04:18 PM   #32
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
I started reading a book (which shall remain nameless) that had multiple wrong word choices. God was "graceful" instead of "gracious." Someone put the dishes "ahead" instead of "away." Someone else had a good "idea" for composition instead of a good "eye" for composition. I wondered if the author dictated the story or possibly used an AI tool that wasn't quite up to the task.
More likely an author whose first language is not English.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 04:55 PM   #33
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
Yes. Or a poor translator whose first language isn't English.
Though Joseph Conrad was amazing. I read he didn't learn English till 21. You'd hardly guess he wasn't a native English speaker from his books like "The Secret Agent" which isn't a translation.
Old 10-22-2023, 11:33 PM   #34
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
I thought this might explain it, so I googled the author's bio: born in the United States and a college degree in ... wait for it ... English! Of course, the bio might be lying. I've decided the book was probably dictated and the software didn't always use the right word, and nobody bothered to proof it.
icallaci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 02:23 PM   #35
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
I've decided the book was probably dictated and the software didn't always use the right word, and nobody bothered to proof it.
I've seen a couple of books where the author used dictation software and since the words were spelt correctly, the errors slipped through. At that time, the author was not using beta readers, ARC readers or any other way of checking for errors other than trusting instead to a simple spellchecker. They were also guilty of homonym abuse but that's a different rant.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 02:59 PM   #36
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I've seen a couple of books where the author used dictation software and since the words were spelt correctly, the errors slipped through. At that time, the author was not using beta readers, ARC readers or any other way of checking for errors other than trusting instead to a simple spellchecker. They were also guilty of homonym abuse but that's a different rant.
I think this is exactly what happened. Kind of interesting to watch for the next blunder, though.
icallaci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 03:29 PM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I don't trust spelunking chequers.

There is no substitute, so far, for trained humans to either beta-read or publish-proof.

Even missing letters can pass. Her-he, Palace-place, Discuss-discus, There-the etc.