Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 09-12-2023, 01:56 AM   #1
Sage of Nothing
Sage of Nothing began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation Calibre server security

Hi!

I want to run a Calibre server for my family who live out of the home.

I just want to know if its safe to have it exposed to the internet through port 8080.

I will have it running through a Raspberry pi through the GUI because I am not tech savy enough to do it through command prompt. I will also have the usernames and passwords set up.

Do I need to overly worry about it? and if I do is there something easy I can do to secure it more?
Sage of Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 04:07 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Setup a VPN server on your router and have the remote users log into a VPN. Many but not all routers have this feature.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 05:04 AM   #3
Sage of Nothing
Sage of Nothing began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Setup a VPN server on your router and have the remote users log into a VPN. Many but not all routers have this feature.
Sadly mine does not have this feature thx tho!
Sage of Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 05:34 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you have usernames and passwords setup you will be fine, the only caveat is that you should also setup a certificate (https) for maximum security. If not your connection to it will not be encrypted.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote