Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 05-03-2022, 08:13 PM   #1
Coffeegirl76
Coffeegirl76 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Angry Content Server Help

For the love of Gaia, Im ready to throw my laptop!!!

Ive had Calibre since forever, Love it!!

Im going on vacation and want to have access to my books, on my phone without using the companion app, am i wrong to think i can use the Content Server for that??

Set it all up, followed the manual to a T, works amazing on devices that are connected to my home internet, but when i try to access it on my iphone that is not on the home internet, i cant access it..

What am I doing wrong??
Coffeegirl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:28 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeegirl76 View Post
For the love of Gaia, Im ready to throw my laptop!!!

Ive had Calibre since forever, Love it!!

Im going on vacation and want to have access to my books, on my phone without using the companion app, am i wrong to think i can use the Content Server for that??

Set it all up, followed the manual to a T, works amazing on devices that are connected to my home internet, but when i try to access it on my iphone that is not on the home internet, i cant access it..

What am I doing wrong??
No port forward pin hole on your router TO the laptop.
You are using the LAN (local net) address eg. 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x

You need to use your routers WAN side IP:port
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:35 PM   #3
Coffeegirl76

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
No port forward pin hole on your router TO the laptop.
You are using the LAN (local net) address eg. 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x

You need to use your routers WAN side IPort
Thank you for the quick response!!!

I only understood half of that but yes my numbers are 10.xx where do find the wan?? and then what do i do with it??
Old 05-03-2022, 08:48 PM   #4
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Thank you for the quick response!!!

I only understood half of that but yes my numbers are 10.xx where do find the wan?? and then what do i do with it??
https://whatismyipaddress.com/

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:56 PM   #5
Coffeegirl76

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Thank you!!

now what do i do with it??

If i type it in my browser with the port number i get this

This site can’t be reached
73.xx.xx.xxx took too long to respond.
Try:

Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Running Windows Network Diagnostics

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

I did check my firewall and Calibre.exe is allowed
no clue what a proxy is but mine is set to auto
Old 05-03-2022, 09:00 PM   #6
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Thank you!!

now what do i do with it??

If i type it in my browser with the port number i get this

This site can’t be reached
73.xx.xx.xxx took too long to respond.
Try:

Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Running Windows Network Diagnostics

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

I did check my firewall and Calibre.exe is allowed
no clue what a proxy is but mine is set to auto
Use your phone--using the data connection not wifi--open your browser and type http:/yourip#:port# if that does not work then you will have to set port forwarding in your router.

bernie

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-03-2022 at 09:50 PM. Reason: add noparse tags
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 05:57 AM   #7
Coffeegirl76

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Use your phone--using the data connection not wifi--open your browser and type http:/yourip#:port# if that does not work then you will have to set port forwarding in your router.

bernie
Grrrrrr

I went to my internet provider website and added a port forward, it only allows it from each device, chose my laptop and added the 8080 port, and still cant access the content server, it says server took to long to respond and i did use my phone on data not internet like you said...

I think i has the dumbs, i have to be missing something simple here

I even went to the manual again and repeated all the steps and still nada...
Old 05-04-2022, 07:37 AM   #8
Coffeegirl76

Question I think it worked lol

Ok so I can now access it from my phone browser using data not internet 😁

Now I’m trying to connect it to my website, hidden page password protected, but it won’t let me because it’s an http not an https, is there an html code that will bypass that?? Because those are my only 2 options for linking

It’s a book club site so I just want easy access for discussions and descriptions and reading orders etc

Thank you for being so helpful both to those who have already helped and for anyone who can help me with this next issue

I’m so computer dumb lol
Old 05-04-2022, 07:45 AM   #9
Coffeegirl76

Quote:
Ok so I can now access it from my phone browser using data not internet 😁

Now I’m trying to connect it to my website, hidden page password protected, but it won’t let me because it’s an http not an https, is there an html code that will bypass that?? Because those are my only 2 options for linking

It’s a book club site so I just want easy access for discussions and descriptions and reading orders etc

Thank you for being so helpful both to those who have already helped and for anyone who can help me with this next issue

I’m so computer dumb lol
Forgot to add i had to turn off advanced security on my router to get it to work, did not have the option to do it just for the laptop im running calibre on
Old 05-04-2022, 09:17 AM   #10
Coffeegirl76

Question Mom cant access

I sent the link to my mom and she got this error

Failed to communicate with "/interface-data/init?1651669740930", timed out after: 60 seconds

any thoughts??
Old 05-04-2022, 11:49 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Forgot to add i had to turn off advanced security on my router to get it to work, did not have the option to do it just for the laptop im running calibre on
Every router-ISP does their own thing (some prevent it)

CAUTION: Turning off the wrong security options leaves you whole network exposed.
Pin hole refers to a tiny hole (1 port wide). Still not perfect, but better than no firewall.

The pinhole is for access to the HOST PC (calibre-content server), not the devices using the server. That is 1 pinhole.
I suggest NOT using port 8080 as that is the most common (default)
Wireless to the host is also more complicated (WiFi security measures). Use a CAT5 cable when ever possible between the router and the host PC
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 12:24 PM   #12
Coffeegirl76

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Every router-ISP does their own thing (some prevent it)

CAUTION: Turning off the wrong security options leaves you whole network exposed.
Pin hole refers to a tiny hole (1 port wide). Still not perfect, but better than no firewall.

The pinhole is for access to the HOST PC (calibre-content server), not the devices using the server. That is 1 pinhole.
I suggest NOT using port 8080 as that is the most common (default)
Wireless to the host is also more complicated (WiFi security measures). Use a CAT5 cable when ever possible between the router and the host PC
right now i can access the content server on iphone and android but thats it, not sure why.....

i use wix for my website and it doesnt allow http just https, so it wont just show in an embed thing, and i wonder if thats also why it wont redirect

ive been scouring and searching now for 3 days trying to figure this out, so i want you to know all the help is sooooo appreciated especially because i dont speak computer unless its and excel sheet lol

most of what im finding for answers is in some type of code you change on a server...

anywho, thank you for all the help, also nothing on our network worth stealing, just our rokus, a high school laptop that is locked down like fort knox, and my personal laptop that i only use for my ebooks and calibre
Old 05-04-2022, 01:52 PM   #13
Coffeegirl76

Angry who do i have to pay to solve this.....

the content server is working on iphone and android, but not on desktops or laptops ??

my website requires https to embed and my address is http://

I will happily pay someone to solve this for me at this point, i dont understand the computer language stuff, tried an iframe html thing to bypass the missing s and wont load that either.....

I will happily pay someone to solve this, i have paypal and zelle
Old 06-26-2023, 02:26 AM   #14
jecilop
Addict
jecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Android
I realize this is an old thread, but I'm curious if the poster ever solved her problem.
I just got mine up and running and ran into some issues over the internet that had more to do with the browser than anything...which I did resolve.

I may be able to "translate" this setup if you gave up but want to go back to having the content server available to you.
I have done that on some things and gone back LONG after to try again including my server.

NOTE: no pay necessary.

Last edited by jecilop; 06-26-2023 at 02:27 AM. Reason: grammar
jecilop is offline   Reply With Quote