Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 07-03-2018, 10:51 PM   #1
ScottRKahler
ScottRKahler began at the beginning.

Device: Moon Reader Pro
Can't install w/o computer crashing. manual power cycle required

Steps performed
1. installed Calibre from the repository.
got "QGtkStyle could not resolve GTK"

2. Reinstalled ubuntu from a fresh iso
Added ssh and TightVNC

3. looked at the install instructions.

4. Started to check for libraries and versions.

5. installed locate to assist with looking.

6. completed libraries and versions - all where above the minimum versions.

7. Installed using sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh | sudo sh /dev/stdin. install was successful.

8. ran: scott@scott-desktop:~$ Calibre
Received: QGtkStyle could not resolve GTK. Make sure you have installed the proper libraries. Then system froze. I needed to unplug the power from the system to restart it.

9. Checked Forum:
found "https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296118&highlight=QGtkStyle+GTK+li braries."
tried sudo calibre
system froze - must unplug from wall outlet.

10. checked "https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1740020"
found: I'm using Ubutun 17.10 mate, I have the same issue. Changing the environment variable did not work.

peter@Talesian:/opt/calibre/bin$ CALIBRE_USE_SYSTEM_THEME=1 calibre
QGtkStyle could not resolve GTK. Make sure you have installed the proper libraries.

peter@Talesian:/opt/calibre/bin$ CALIBRE_USE_SYSTEM_THEME=0 calibre
QGtkStyle could not resolve GTK. Make sure you have installed the proper libraries.

Kovid Goyal (kovid) wrote on 2018-04-07: #4
That value of the environment variable is irrelevant, calibre checks for its existence.

So this means I need to comment it out? I am not sure what to change and how to change it.

checked: "https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/customize.html#environment-variables"
Found: CALIBRE_USE_SYSTEM_THEME - By default, on Linux, calibre uses its own builtin Qt style. This is to avoid crashes and hangs caused by incompatibilities between the version of Qt calibre is built against and the system Qt. The downside is that calibre may not follow the system look and feel. If you set this environment variable on Linux, it will cause calibre to use the system theme – beware of crashes and hangs.

12. ran ran env | grep CALIBRE and got no results.

13. uninstalled using scott@scott-desktop:~$ sudo calibre-uninstall.
it was removed

14. downloaded binary from: https://download.calibre-ebook.com/3...6.1-x86_64.txz
Ran sudo mkdir -p /opt/calibre && sudo rm -rf /opt/calibre/* && sudo tar xvf /home/scott/downloads/calibre-3.26.1-x86_64.txz -C /opt/calibre && sudo /opt/calibre/calibre_postinstall
Install completed

15. Ran Calibre
Got QGtkStyle could not resolve GTK. Make sure you have installed the proper libraries.
System froze again. removed power

I have not the details of my steps saved if you need them. I am at a loss. I don't know what to do. I am pretty confident I did everything correctly. However, I am kind of new with Linux. I don' know how to change, check or set Environment Variables. I love this software so much. It is very turnkey on windows but I would like for it to be on my linux box. I have gotten it to work in previous versions of linux, 16.04, I think, maybe. Any help would be thankful.
ScottRKahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:38 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If your entire system is freezing it is likely an issue with your graphics card drivers. You can probably get it to work by changing the driver. Typically in Linux there are multiple drivers available for any given graphics card, proprietary and open source versions. Try switching between them. Or fallback to the defult VESA mode graphics driver (which is slow but suitable for most everyday tasks)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:14 AM   #3
ScottRKahler

Thank you, I'll try that. Ok I switched to the proprietary driver and it stopped lockign up the system. However, I still get the same error. Anything else you can do to help?
Old 07-05-2018, 01:15 AM   #4
ScottRKahler

maybe I lied
Old 07-05-2018, 01:17 AM   #5
ScottRKahler

I can ssh to reboot the box but, it takes a long time. I don't know if that helps at all.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:30 AM   #6
ScottRKahler

Do you have a resource for setting VESA Graphics mode? I don't know how.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:39 AM   #7
ScottRKahler

I think I got it working. I went into GUI for my nvidia graphics driver. changed the settings to enhance application settings. It started to work. Testing some more.