Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #166
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, ADE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post
I pinched your display-options.xml for my own olde style booke, so I got something out of it
Oh, happy to help, if I did! Although I didn't even know that I had anything called a "display-options.xml" file in there somewhere -- in fact, I still don't. Your comment spurred me to open up my epub again and I don't see anything like that in there.

In other words... huh?

FOLLOW-UP: Oh, now I see what you mean -- I certainly didn't write that file, I just got it myself from here somewhere! As far as I know, all that does is get the embedded fonts to work in iBooks. If it does anything other than that, I have no idea -- I just do as I'm told (when I have to).

Last edited by Psymon; 11-14-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Psymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #167
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
Oh, happy to help, if I did! Although I didn't even know that I had anything called a "display-options.xml" file in there somewhere -- in fact, I still don't. Your comment spurred me to open up my epub again and I don't see anything like that in there.

In other words... huh?

FOLLOW-UP: Oh, now I see what you mean -- I certainly didn't write that file, I just got it myself from here somewhere! As far as I know, all that does is get the embedded fonts to work in iBooks. If it does anything other than that, I have no idea -- I just do as I'm told (when I have to).
No, it doesn't do anything else. Just makes the font display on iBooks.

n.b.: that file will cause a book to fail intake at Smashwords, please note, so, keep this in mind if you plan to use SW to distribute your book to iBooks--the file will not be present to force the font to display.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:32 AM   #168
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
n.b.: that file will cause a book to fail intake at Smashwords, please note, so, keep this in mind if you plan to use SW to distribute your book to iBooks--the file will not be present to force the font to display.
Thanks for the warning, Hitch! But no, from even just what little I've heard about Smashboo-, er, words here, I don't imagine that I'll ever make use of them. I wouldn't be totally averse to using an aggregate service of some sort, and even losing a small percentage of my sales to relieve myself of the "accounting headaches", but I have a feeling I'll probably just end up creating my own separate, individual accounts with a few different places instead.

I don't know... yet. I'm still learning about all this, of course. For starters I just want to get my book up on iBooks (as was my original plan) and see what happens with that for a little while, and in the meantime I get working on my other easier/simpler project -- this latter might be an easier way for me to learn the ins-and-outs of converting things to an amazon-friendly format (which I suppose is THE place I'd like to get into, as far as sales go).

Love this forum, by the way! You all have truly been so incredibly helpful and, indeed, supportive (even when you're kickin' my butt!).

Old 11-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #169
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post
No problem testing - I pinched your display-options.xml for my own olde style booke, so I got something out of it
Further to my previous reply here, by the way, I downloaded your "olde booke" and took a look at it both on the iPad and also checked out your code in Sigil -- looks like you had about as much fun typesetting your book as I did mine!

I rather like that font you used, too -- love the "degraded" look, it looks more like "old type" than the font I ended up using, although unfortunately I don't really like some of the kerning in it (and don't know if I could be bothered to go to the trouble of fixing all that up myself). Always nice to find a nice, new "olde" font, though!

And in that regard, by following the links you provided, I also rather like that other font, "Isabella", by that same guy -- it's tempting to use that one, actually, for the headings in my own book!

So whatever little I contributed to your book, thanks for sharing your old book -- and by extension those fonts -- in return!
Old 11-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #170
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
Thanks for the warning, Hitch! But no, from even just what little I've heard about Smashboo-, er, words here, I don't imagine that I'll ever make use of them. I wouldn't be totally averse to using an aggregate service of some sort, and even losing a small percentage of my sales to relieve myself of the "accounting headaches", but I have a feeling I'll probably just end up creating my own separate, individual accounts with a few different places instead.

I don't know... yet. I'm still learning about all this, of course. For starters I just want to get my book up on iBooks (as was my original plan) and see what happens with that for a little while, and in the meantime I get working on my other easier/simpler project -- this latter might be an easier way for me to learn the ins-and-outs of converting things to an amazon-friendly format (which I suppose is THE place I'd like to get into, as far as sales go).

Love this forum, by the way! You all have truly been so incredibly helpful and, indeed, supportive (even when you're kickin' my butt!).

You're welcome, but actually, I was telling anyone who came along about the Smashwords problem, as we've encountered it more than once. I don't think you could get your book through SW with a backhoe, as they get very hysterical about "bold" text, or changing fonts, differing font sizes, yadda yadda. Given what I've seen of yours...

Honestly: it's been almost a year, and they still don't have a viable uptake process. Not to mention, although it's very, very quiet, they finally posted a(n almost unfindable) notice about their intake "bug" on their SWDirect page. Which means, human intervention on their side is almost always needed for a human-made, not Calibre-API-made ePUB.

{shrug}.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:33 AM   #171
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

All promotional posts have been deleted. The proper place for promotional posts is the Author Self-Promotions forum.

This is not the proper place to discuss the economics of how well (or not) one's book is selling. We have a forum for such discussions. We call that forum the Writers' Corner, and NO promotions are allowed in that forum, either.

All promotional posts and all posts that continue to discuss the ins-and-outs of publishing have been deleted.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-19-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote