Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 09-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #1
stormproof
stormproof began at the beginning.

Device: none
text flow query

Hi, I'm new to Calibre.
I publish (on a very small scale) out of print and classic out of copyright books, and make them available on my website.
Recently I've committed to making the texts (currently pdf) available as epub, and so I've converted a few.
When I view the converted file in the Calibre e-reader, shrinking the page and/or enlarging the font (to mimic what would appear on a smartphone) makes the lines overflow, rather than flow together - see attachment.
Is it possible to make the lines flow together?
Many thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	231
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	142240  
stormproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormproof View Post
Hi, I'm new to Calibre.
I publish (on a very small scale) out of print and classic out of copyright books, and make them available on my website.
Recently I've committed to making the texts (currently pdf) available as epub, and so I've converted a few.
When I view the converted file in the Calibre e-reader, shrinking the page and/or enlarging the font (to mimic what would appear on a smartphone) makes the lines overflow, rather than flow together - see attachment.
Many thanks.
You need to make the lines JOIN
When converting from PDF, lowering the unwrap factor might help.

Read the sticky about converting from PDF

You can also clean this up with the editor, using a series of carefully crafted REGEX S&R NOTE: There is NO SINGLE safe solution.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormproof View Post
Hi, I'm new to Calibre.
Many thanks.
@stormproof - How did you create the pdf's - directly ?

Or via a word processor or text editor? If so, and you still have that output (eg .doc, .rtf, .txt) then you would probably be better off converting from those files than from the PDFs

PDF is the least preferred format to use as a starting point for creating an EPUB. Bit like heading east from NYC to get to LA - that's the wrlong way

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-24-2015 at 12:05 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:00 AM   #4
stormproof
stormproof began at the beginning.

That's marvellous, thank you very much.
All works well now.
stormproof is offline   Reply With Quote