Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #1
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Ebook Uploads

Where do I ask about ebook uploads on mobileread? And whom do I ask? I'm looking for ebooks by Harold Lamb, as they are out of copyright, but can't find them on mobileread.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
You want to post in this thread in the e-Book Uploads section of our Patricia Clark Memorial Library: e-Book Requests and Begging (Public Domain Books Only!)
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Thankyou ATDrake.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Where do I ask about ebook uploads on mobileread? And whom do I ask? I'm looking for ebooks by Harold Lamb, as they are out of copyright, but can't find them on mobileread.
Be careful here. If I remember correctly, Lamb willed his stories to the University of Nebraska, which now holds the copyrights. To their credit, the University then published a very nice series of Harold Lamb story collections (eight altogether), both paper and ebook versions. They're not cheap, but they're well done, and worth the cost (in my opinion).
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Looks like he died in 1962. Due to the odd history of US copyright law some of his work may be out of copyright in the US, but (IIRC) he won't qualify for inclusion in mobileread's library which adheres to the "Life plus 70" rule.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2014, 01:43 AM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
So Mr. Lamb falls into the grey area then huh. That is his work may or may not be PD based on when he wrote it and if the University of Nebraska claims they own it and even if it is PD it still hasn't been PD long enough to qualify for a place here at MR with the 70+ rule. I've never heard of him before. What genre of short stories did he write?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:59 AM   #7
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
So Mr. Lamb falls into the grey area then huh. That is his work may or may not be PD based on when he wrote it and if the University of Nebraska claims they own it and even if it is PD it still hasn't been PD long enough to qualify for a place here at MR with the 70+ rule. I've never heard of him before. What genre of short stories did he write?
Harold Lamb is THE MASTER of short historical fiction. He was an expert in the history and cultures of Asia and the Middle East, writing detailed biographies of historic figures of the region (Alexander, Suleman, etc.). He portrayed the various cultures and faiths with informed authenticity and respect; the polar opposite of the racist bile of (for example) Sax Rohmer.

Yet his short fiction is anything but dry and academic. He wrote about crusaders and cossacks and caravans. His stories were taut, focused and incisive, and his action scenes take a back seat to no one.

This is the writer Robert E. Howard wished he could emulate.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:17 AM   #8
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Be careful here. If I remember correctly, Lamb willed his stories to the University of Nebraska, which now holds the copyrights. To their credit, the University then published a very nice series of Harold Lamb story collections (eight altogether), both paper and ebook versions. They're not cheap, but they're well done, and worth the cost (in my opinion).
According to Worldcat Identities: Lamb, Harold 1892-1962,
Quote:
Works: 323 works in 1,034 publications in 6 languages and 30,457 library holdings
One can click here to learn which works are available in a library s/he patronizes.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Plenty of Lamb's stories were first published in adventure magazines (authorized) prior to 1923. Those works are PD in the U.S. Doesn't matter if they were willed to the University of Nebraska or not. They still don't meet MR's life +70 policy for uploading, though.

The fact that there's not more widely available, quality versions of the pre-1923, PD Lamb stories available, suggests to me that the university employs an aggressive enough "these our ours" campaign that sufficiently scares people into honoring take-down notices that they probably aren't actually required to honor.

There should be many free versions of most of the stories that were focused on his Khlit and Abdul Dost characters available to US readers. It's a damn shame there's not.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-23-2014 at 08:44 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #10
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
There should be many free versions of most of the stories that were focused on his Khlit and Abdul Dost characters available to US readers. It's a damn shame there's not.
There is this:

http://www.wildsidepress.com/The-Har...le_p_6298.html

Not free, but the next best thing. And free of DRM, at least!
Old 10-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
There is this:

Might have to check that out ... thanks!
Even if the formatting turns out bad; for $0.99, I don't mind doing some of my own editing.

By the way, I purchased one of the Nebraska University volumes (Bison Press?) for Kindle a while back. Unfortunately, it was in the Topaz format. *shudder*

Perhaps the epub versions are better?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-23-2014 at 11:50 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #12
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Might have to check that out ... thanks!
Even if the formatting turns out bad; for $0.99, I don't mind doing some of my own editing.
The Wildside stuff isn't perfectly polished, as far as editing goes, but not horrible. Well worth the price.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #13
Freehunter
Connoisseur
Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freehunter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4PC, PW2, HD7, calibre
Quote:
There is this:

Also available at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Harold-Lam...QD3CS2E5H5B7Y5

also story included in:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Adventure-...RCVVTX2HXXYZ6G

Pardon me while I go look through the other Wildside Megapacks to see what gems might be lurking there. Somebody hide my credit card.
Freehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #14
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freehunter View Post
Pardon me while I go look through the other Wildside Megapacks to see what gems might be lurking there. Somebody hide my credit card.
It's the most fun you can have for a buck.

Geez, Betancourt ought to pay me a commission!
Old 10-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #15
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
archive.org has most of his non-fiction and the first Khlit the Cossack story

https://archive.org/search.php?query...Harold+Lamb%22
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote