Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
timcclayton
timcclayton began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
How to go back to earlier fimrware on the Glo

Hello all.

I recently updated my firmware to the latest version, but frankly, I really don't like it. The home screen is now really cluttered and I preferred my original home screen which was from around May 2012 (when I bought the Glo) and just showed the 5 most recent books - that suited me perfectly, no clutter etc.

But the thing I hate most about the new firmware (amongst some minor stuff) is the loss of the slider bar when in shelves view - swiping just doesn't work properly, often a swipe actually launches the book, then I have to trawl all the way back to the home screen then start again - awful! I actually have to do some kind of diagonal swipe to get around this and it just feels painful and slow.

So the long and short of this is: can I go back to my earlier firmware and if so, does anyone know which version had the slider and the simple 5-book homescreen?

Thanks in advance,
Tim.
timcclayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Yes download the June firmware from here and follow the instructions on post #3. (I did not do a factory reset FYI)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
timcclayton

Is that the June 2013 firmware? If so, isn't that too recent to take me back to the 5 book homescreen and the slider?

One other thought I had:

If I do a factory reset, wouldn't my device revert to the original firmware version (this is the version I am happy with)? If it can revert this way, how do I avoid the thing updating to the latest version, which I guess it will do when setting itself up again!

Sorry for the questions, but having had a nightmare before with a bad update that effectively bricked my Kobo (and Kevin's excellent help getting me out of that hole - thanks Kevin!) I don't want to update firmware if I can possibly avoid it again!!

Thanks Anne for your help thus far.

Tim.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
No if you want the 5 book screen, you have to go back to the May firmware, I think.

I am not sure about the factory reset. I don't think I've ever done one of those on a Kobo. You could do one and see what firmware it shows, before taking any further steps.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
timcclayton

OK I have done a factory reset, then overwritten the kobo with 2.5.1 firmware. That all went fine, except now the Kobo wants to set itself up again, and demands a link to either my computer or wireless.

I know that if I do either, it will just update to the latest version!

How on earth do I stop it doing that so I can keep 2.5.1?

(Can't believe how much grief this device is capable of causing, frankly. What is the problem with people being able to retain older firmwares?!)
Advert
Old 08-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219657
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #7
timcclayton

That has worked perfectly, many thanks.
Can't believe how many Google searches I have done but never found that thread.

Thank you both for your kind assistance.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:14 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
No worries. There's also a way to hack the database so that you can connect by wifi without it updating, but I'm sorry, I don't have a link to that. For that, have a bit more of a poke around, or maybe ask in the Developer's Corner?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by timcclayton View Post
The home screen is now really cluttered and I preferred my original home screen which was from around May 2012 (when I bought the Glo)
Wow! You got it 5 months before the release date?
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote