Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
KABx
KABx began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Identifying Kindle samples

Is there a way in calibre to tell a sample book from a full book (from amazon) on a kindle?

All samples contain an identical paragraph at the end, but i can't find a way to search accross all book contents.

any ideas or recipies?
KABx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Maybe sort by size in the calibre UI?
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
KABx

size is a good indicator, but not reliable enough.

looking at the filenames by browsing on the kindle, samples seem to have _EBSP-v_0.azw in the file name.

is there any way of searching on the file name? or extracting it to a custom column?
i am fairly new to calibre, and still finding may way round.

i could probably hack an existing bit of code if it was similar to what i need, but am not up to writing my own yet!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABx View Post
is there any way of searching on the file name? or extracting it to a custom column?
Once you add it to calibre that file name is out the window. The solution is to not add samples to calibre in the first place. Good luck in your search.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I know that won't help you now but maybe as an idea to prevent this in the future.
I simply add a tag "sample" when I import a sample into calibre that I'm not going to read right away.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
KABx

my current solution to this is - on the kindle, i have created a 'samples' collection, and manually added all samples to it, using the kindle interface as it CAN tell me which books are samples.

I've then used the calibre plugin ' User category' to import all the categories into the custom column 'imported collections', which then allows me to search on 'samples'.