Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #1
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
Are there still a lot people like Kindle Keyboard?

I recently just realized that when People sell Kindle keyboard(3), they usually asked high price,most case, the price is higher than kindle NT and close to PW. K4NT's price is actually quite low. But performance wise, I assume K4nt is better than K3. Is this because K3 is the last Kindle that has keyboard and it has high demand?
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It has a keyboard, more storage and audio. IMO the K3 is one of the better devices Amazon has done.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2014, 10:04 PM   #3
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It has a keyboard, more storage and audio. IMO the K3 is one of the better devices Amazon has done.
sure. but the page turn is slower and it refresh every page,also heavier than K4nt at least.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suppose, but a lot of folks have ended up going to every page refresh anyway on some of the newer readers due to ghosting problems. Coming from early eInk readers I guess every page refresh has never been a big deal to me. :shrugs: As for slower I don't know. I don't use a K3 everyday any more, but I was just helping someone with one yesterday and the page turns seemed as fast as my newer eInk devices (I'm sure it is slower, but it wasn't noticeable for me like say a Sony 505 vs a newer device).

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-12-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #5
Smartie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I suppose, but a lot of folks have ended up going to every page refresh anyway on some of the newer readers due to ghosting problems. Coming from early eInk readers I guess every page refresh has never been a big deal to me. :shrugs: As for slower I don't know. I don't use a K3 everyday any more, but I was just helping someone with one yesterday and the page turns seemed as fast as my newer eInk devices (I'm sure it is slower, but it wasn't noticeable for me like say a Sony 505 vs a newer device).
Thanks.i saw you k3.how do you like it
Advert
Old 06-12-2014, 11:57 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

I like it just fine, but don't really use it any more. It wouldn't be a hardship if I had to go back to using it though.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:12 AM   #7
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I love my K3 -- it's my workhorse reader. It's also the newest reader that I have, so it's faster than the Sony and BeBook. I have two i-devices, but don't read on them because of the light.

I'd consider a newer Kindle eInk device if I could get one without a touch screen. I don't like touch screens & prefer buttons, levers, whatever.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:42 AM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I guess the old expression that gors "Your Experience May Vary" is still true here. I had a Kindle three some time ago, it broke down after fifteen months of service, the power on/offf button broke and I could no longer turn it on or off. My current paper white is closing in on two years old and is doing much better then my three did, so I do not have the good experience with the three that Anemic Oak does.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:45 AM   #9
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
When I got my Nook HD+, I gave my Kindle to my 72 year-old mother who worked at the public library for many years and loves to read. She loves it and I don't think I'll be getting it back.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:48 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
sure. but the page turn is slower and it refresh every page,also heavier than K4nt at least.

....and those are the negatives.

The positives were listed by AnemicOak.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #11
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
My Kindle Keyboard still goes back and forth to work with me. I use it for TTS (I'm one of the few that doesn't seem to mind TTS) in the car and occasional reading at breaks and lunchtime. Yesterday there was a Special Offer on it for 80% off a cover.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I recently just realized that when People sell Kindle keyboard(3), they usually asked high price,most case, the price is higher than kindle NT and close to PW. K4NT's price is actually quite low. But performance wise, I assume K4nt is better than K3. Is this because K3 is the last Kindle that has keyboard and it has high demand?
Part of the reason is that -- originally -- Kindle Keyboards (K3s) started out costing a good deal more than the Kindle 4s (and, even at the end, cost almost twice as much), and prices tend to be a percentage of the original price. But it's also, as others have pointed out, the added features, the physical keyboard, the speakers (and ability to have it read to you and play music), and the fact that 3G was available on K3s. Personally I think the screen was a little sharper than on the Kindle 4s and the "white" background seems a little whiter -- at least that is the case with the K3 I currently have. You also have to add in the fact that Kindle 4s are still available -- often on sale, new, for $50. Those who want a K3 have to look at the used market.

That said, if I only had the K3 I'd be happy, but the K4 was my first Kindle and I'm used to it -- and I really don't need a physical keyboard -- so the K4 gets used more, as I like its size better.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:34 PM   #13
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I haven't considered giving up my K3 for a K4 mainly because of the huge decrease in available memory and lack of page turn buttons. Now if I could have a paperwhite with page turn buttons and 8K memory I'd pay a premium price for that. As for the quicker page turns I don't even notice the page turns with my K3 and in any case it's much quicker than paper book page turning.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #14
Smartie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I haven't considered giving up my K3 for a K4 mainly because of the huge decrease in available memory and lack of page turn buttons. Now if I could have a paperwhite with page turn buttons and 8K memory I'd pay a premium price for that. As for the quicker page turns I don't even notice the page turns with my K3 and in any case it's much quicker than paper book page turning.
True.but do we really need keep thousand books on ereader?we can just keen them on cloud and only download when we ready to read,I usually remove books after I finished
Old 06-13-2014, 05:58 PM   #15
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
It's the page turn buttons for me. As I said above, I just don't like touch devices.

Quote:
True.but do we really need keep thousand books on ereader?we can just keen them on cloud and only download when we ready to read,I usually remove books after I finished
Back when I got my first Kindle (the original!) I put as many books on it as I could and filled up an SD card with books from MobileRead, Feedbooks, Fictionwise, ManyBooks, Baen, etc. Then I realized there was no need to carry all those around *on* the device since I've almost always got a laptop with me. Also, Amazon keeps everything I've ever bought up in their cloud and I can download again any time I want. I've got everything backed up to a hard drive and I'm now in the process of importing them into a Calibre library on a thumb drive.

Love my K3. Use the Keyboard a lot less these days when I used to store notes on the reader, so I'd give it up for an inexpensive Kindle with page turn buttons. The built-in light might be nice, but I don't view it as a necessity. A basic reader meets my needs.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote