Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 09-23-2021, 05:07 PM   #1
unbob
unbob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.unbob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.unbob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.unbob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.unbob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.unbob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.unbob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.unbob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.unbob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.unbob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.unbob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: PC
Unable to connect to content server

Following instructions from the user manual I checked the box to 'Run server automatically when calibre starts' in the 'Sharing over the net' section of Preferences. I then restarted Calibre.

When I open a tab to the Calibre server (http://127.0.0.1:8080) in Firefox 9.1.02 (running on the same computer as the server), I get the error message:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
The connection was reset
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I reviewed the previous posts here related to this problem but not seeing a solution. I'm running Windows 10 Home version 20H2. Calibre v5.27.

This is my first attempt at using Calibre Content Server. Any assistance greatly appreciated.
unbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:22 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Try using the actual IP of the machine (127 is Localhost and is only available on the same machine. if not blocked)
open a command prompt: type IPCONFIG <enter>
You want the IPv4 address

That should be good for any device on YOUR homes LAN
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2021, 05:41 PM   #3
unbob
unbob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.unbob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.unbob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.unbob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.unbob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.unbob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.unbob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.unbob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.unbob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.unbob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.unbob knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Try using the actual IP of the machine (127 is Localhost and is only available on the same machine. if not blocked)
open a command prompt: type IPCONFIG <enter>
You want the IPv4 address

That should be good for any device on YOUR homes LAN
Thanks for the reply. Nope. Tried that with same result.

I also turned-off Windows Defender but that made no difference.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:31 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Something is blocking calibre, most likely your antivirus/firewall. Reboot in safe mode to check.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:11 AM   #5
unbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Something is blocking calibre, most likely your antivirus/firewall. Reboot in safe mode to check.
Thank you Kovid! I'll continue working on the problem.

Meantime, love your Calibre program! A great accomplishment!
Advert
Old 09-25-2021, 02:29 PM   #6
unbob

Tried using Chrome browser (http://127.0.0.1:8080/) with this result:

This page isn’t working
127.0.0.1 didn’t send any data.
ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

Also verified 'calibre.exe' and 'calibre-parallel.exe' are running.

Last edited by unbob; 09-25-2021 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:42 PM   #7
unbob

No notification has been received indicating that Calibre Content server connection is being blocked by firewall. But nonetheless connection fails persistently. ??? I'm stumped.

Would using Calibre Companion or CalibreBox phone app be an easier and more reliable way to read books on my Android phone? Didn't want to install another app but at this point I'll try anything!

Connecting via the web does not work for me! Very frustrating!

Last edited by unbob; 09-25-2021 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:56 PM   #8
unbob

Sweet success!! Problem solved!!

Finally decided to check which ports are in use in my Windows 10 using the 'netstat -ab' command in the command prompt window.

That showed port 8080 also in use by another program [SyncBackTouchSvc.exe]. Eureka! That is a problem!

So, changed the Calibre server port to 10135 and problem solved!!

Hope this helps someone in the future.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:12 PM   #9
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbob View Post
Finally decided to check which ports are in use in my Windows 10 using the 'netstat -ab' command in the command prompt window.

That showed port 8080 also in use by another program [SyncBackTouchSvc.exe]. Eureka! That is a problem!

So, changed the Calibre server port to 10135 and problem solved!!

Hope this helps someone in the future.
Was having the same problem, came here to check and found this thread. Didn't bother with the command, just changed the port and it works again.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote