Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-06-2018, 04:48 AM   #1
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
How do you autostart apps?

I bought an n96ml+ recently and love it. Onyx have disabled the ability to autostart apps, though, and while not causing a big problem, it would be comfortable to start them automatically.

I've been trying some autostart solutions. I tend to use a number of processes when the OS starts, such as rotate screen service apps, various apps to display shortcuts in the statusbar.

Autostart and Stay app, stubbornly starts at boot. It will start other processors based on the sdcard being mounted, and it has other options similar to this which are also not optimal.

I have tried using it to load Macrodroid and do some tricks with this, to not much success.

Perhaps there is a simple or better way to autostart apps that I'm missing?
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:38 AM   #2
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Here's one possible solution. If you can root your n96, install an app like Titanium Backup and use it to make the app(s) you want to autostart into system apps. System apps bypass Onyx's disabling feature.

The challenge with this is that Titanium Backup is not optimized for E-Ink displays, which makes it difficult to find the correct menu option. Other apps can do the same thing, though.

I used this method to make Button Savior a system app, and it autostarts every time.
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2018, 01:50 AM   #3
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
Another root idea is 3C, an app that lets you modify what apps can auto-start (both system & non-system).
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:02 AM   #4
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnick View Post
Another root idea is 3C, an app that lets you modify what apps can auto-start (both system & non-system).
Thanks! I didn't know about 3C. Which version do you use?
Old 05-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Here's one possible solution. If you can root your n96, install an app like Titanium Backup and use it to make the app(s) you want to autostart into system apps. System apps bypass Onyx's disabling feature.
Thanks, Downeaster.

The app looks good. I might consider rooting, but from reading posts, this appears to be risky at times. Do you have confidence in this process? I am reasonably familiar with linux, but I've only had limited experience rooting devices which were easily replaceable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnick View Post
Thanks, bsnick.
Advert
Old 05-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #6
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
Thanks, Downeaster.

The app looks good. I might consider rooting, but from reading posts, this appears to be risky at times. Do you have confidence in this process? I am reasonably familiar with linux, but I've only had limited experience rooting devices which were easily replaceable.
As far as rooting goes, it depends on the device. The C67 ML was very easy to root. The Note was very hard to root. I suggest that you check with others who have worked with your specific device before doing anything.

Rooting itself isn't dangerous, as long as you take the time to learn what you need to do, and then follow it step by step. But it's only worth doing if you want to do something with your device that can't be done any other way. There are a number of apps that take advantage of some device features to allow you to do some things that normally require rooting. There is a learning curve. As long as you are clear on what you want to do and just focus on that, you should be fine.

Don't try anything you are unsure of. There is the potential of bricking your device. If there are people on this forum who have your device and have rooted it, they can help you with the needed steps. I wouldn't want to risk talking you through a device that I'm not familiar with. But I'll bet that someone here has rooted your device!
Old 05-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #7
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
3C Toolbox Pro. There's a free, but ad-supported, version as well. Otherwise they seem to have a few apps that breaks everything up into smaller chunks. Not sure which of those would have the same functionality.
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:05 AM   #8
Waiting4somethin
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
As far as rooting goes, it depends on the device. The C67 ML was very easy to root. The Note was very hard to root. I suggest that you check with others who have worked with your specific device before doing anything.

Rooting itself isn't dangerous, as long as you take the time to learn what you need to do, and then follow it step by step. But it's only worth doing if you want to do something with your device that can't be done any other way. There are a number of apps that take advantage of some device features to allow you to do some things that normally require rooting. There is a learning curve. As long as you are clear on what you want to do and just focus on that, you should be fine.

Don't try anything you are unsure of. There is the potential of bricking your device. If there are people on this forum who have your device and have rooted it, they can help you with the needed steps. I wouldn't want to risk talking you through a device that I'm not familiar with. But I'll bet that someone here has rooted your device!
Thanks, I'd like to run linux applications, which is otherwise practically impossible. And remap the buttons.

Booxtor appears to have rooted the n96ml:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
I never experienced any troubles during rooting of my samples from Onyx
I'll message him when things calm down.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 05-11-2018 at 05:17 AM.