Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-22-2015, 02:11 PM   #1
nicopilami
Enthusiast
nicopilami began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Smile easy way to display games & tools on Kobo Glo HD

I just bought my Kobo Glo HD a few days ago, and I discovered some games were pre-installed in the device but not shown in the Kobo's homepage like in the Kobo previous versions, so that I searched over the net an easy way to do it.

Please accept my apologizes in case this tip has already been detailed in multiple other posts.

There is no need to be VERY geek, just download a SQL LITE browser in order to modify the .kobo\KoboReader.sqlite file.

You can display the official Kobo apps & games by following the easy steps below (credits to this site/post and even more to this one this other one which detailed the solution too).

- start the internet browser of the Kobo at least once
(to create the first entry in the db of the Kobo
- copy the file .kobo\KoboReader.sqlite with your SQLlite browser to another location (it's a backup of th DB, in case of...)
- open the file .kobo\KoboReader.sqlite with your SQLlite browser
- copy and execute the following SQL lines in your SQLlitebrowser:

Quote:
Delete from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "chess" ;
insert into Activity
SELECT "chess",Enabled,Type,Action,strftime("%Y-%m-%dT%H:%m:%S"),Data from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "browser";

Delete from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "scramble" ;
insert into Activity
SELECT "scramble",Enabled,Type,Action,strftime("%Y-%m-%dT%H:%m:%S"),Data from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "browser";

Delete from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "sudoku" ;
insert into Activity
SELECT "sudoku",Enabled,Type,Action,strftime("%Y-%m-%dT%H:%m:%S"),Data from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "browser";

Delete from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "rushhour" ;
insert into Activity
SELECT "rushhour",Enabled,Type,Action,strftime("%Y-%m-%dT%H:%m:%S"),Data from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "browser";

Delete from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "solitaire" ;
insert into Activity
SELECT "solitaire",Enabled,Type,Action,strftime("%Y-%m-%dT%H:%m:%S"),Data from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "browser";

Delete from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "sketch" ;
insert into Activity
SELECT "sketch",Enabled,Type,Action,strftime("%Y-%m-%dT%H:%m:%S"),Data from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "browser";

Delete from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "sudoku" ;
insert into Activity
SELECT "sudoku",Enabled,Type,Action,strftime("%Y-%m-%dT%H:%m:%S"),Data from Activity where Type like "Extras" and Id like "browser";

Once the SQL has been processed, eject the device from the computer, unplug the cable and reboot the Kobo.

The following tiles should now be displayed in your homepage:
=> Chess
=> Sudoku
=> Sketch Pad
=> Unblock It
=> Solitaire (actually multiple card games)
=> Word Scramble (double tap on the last letter to validate the word you have highlighted)

Hope it will be useful for someone, at least it was for myself

Nico

Last edited by nicopilami; 01-19-2017 at 04:37 PM.
nicopilami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #2
Jakwiebus
Jakwiebus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Thanks

Thanks! This worked effortlessly!

I just wonder; They don't show up at the "beta functions" and I don't see them anywhere else. So I just have to open them once in a while to keep them on my home screen? Or is there anything I can do from within the eReader itself to revive one of these application once it has fallen off the home screen?

Thanks again and thanks in advance
Jakwiebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2015, 12:40 PM   #3
jolibules
jolibules began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo HD
chess not works for me

Hello and thanks,
partly it works for me.
actually everything appears on the menu. But the chess not works.
Have You Any idea?

fw :3.19.5613
globo hd
jolibules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I believe that some of these extras are no longer included in the images supplied by Kobo
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
chess no longer works in 3.19 - if you must have it, downgrade to one of the previous firmware versions. I haven't checked if there is another way to make chess work again (for example replace sokoban with chess or some such method).
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2015, 02:50 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Why not use the pbchess package? Download page.

The menu:
Coolreader
FileManager
OPDS_alpha
Chess
Checkers
Sokoban
Reversi
Gomoku
Takuzu
Sudoku
Dictionary
Notepad
Calculator
UsbNet
WiFi
Reboot
Power off

Plus "QTFrotz" (for old text interactive games) or any other QT program you added.
You can remove any you don't want cluttering up the menu.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 12-29-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #7
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I believe that some of these extras are no longer included in the images supplied by Kobo
These games and apps (except chess) seem to be back in the latest firmware (4.2.8432).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:46 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
These games and apps (except chess) seem to be back in the latest firmware (4.2.8432).
The games were never actually removed from the firmware. It's just that the Glo HD there is no easy way to start them. I assume the same is the case for the Aura ONE and Aura Edition 2, but I can't remember if anyone has commented on the games.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:28 AM   #9
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The games were never actually removed from the firmware. It's just that the Glo HD there is no easy way to start them. I assume the same is the case for the Aura ONE and Aura Edition 2, but I can't remember if anyone has commented on the games.
For me on the Aura edition 2, the games did not work even after adding them for the last few versions.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:06 AM   #10
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
For me on the Aura edition 2, the games did not work even after adding them for the last few versions.
And do they work now for you? Or do they only "seem to be back," as you said above?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #11
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
And do they work now for you? Or do they only "seem to be back," as you said above?
They work for me now, except for chess. I have added a how to section on my KoboStuff page(but I'm still working on adding everything I know to it).
Old 02-13-2017, 04:36 PM   #12
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
They work for me now, except for chess.
Good to know. I tried it this afternoon on my Kobo Touch, and it is the same there.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote