Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-09-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
mandymoo
mandymoo began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Image quality issues

I am trying to covert a mobi file to an epub file. I created the mobi using a series of JPEGS with my text included in each JPEG. (It is a children's book.) Anyway when I convert it from mobi to epub Calibre decreases my image quality and makes the text blurry and hard to read. Is there a way to tell the converter not to do this? Also I am having problems because my mobi images were in landscape view. When I download the new epub to my ereader (Nook) it won't turn the images long ways on my ereader. It will only allow you to see them vertically and therefor they appear quite small. I am wondering if I need to go back and remake them all in portrait view in my mobi file before I run the conversion? Also, is there something I should do to my images so they translate better?

Lastly, is there any way to add audio clips to an epub file in calibre? I also tried laying out my book in word to deal with the image quality issues. I tried adding a sound clip to see if it would translate once converted. It did not. The sound icon shows up as a picture but you cannot click on or hear the sound.
mandymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:03 PM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymoo View Post
... I am wondering if I need to go back and remake them all in portrait view in my mobi file before I run the conversion? Also, is there something I should do to my images so they translate better?
Best practice is to NEVER reprocess a JPEG image. Reprocess the original (e.g. PSD, TIFF, ...) instead, and generate a new JPEG from it. Also, if you are going to redo the images specifically for the epub version don't build a mobi and then convert. Either build an epub directly from your reworked source document, or edit the epub conversion that has the horizontal images and replace the images with the new vertical ones.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert