Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-12-2024, 01:15 AM   #31
Shucking5230
Shucking5230 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
btw this is different from the one I used yes?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=357438

also I have these crash log files of KPPMainApp, never had those before does this mean I have an issue?

Last edited by Shucking5230; 05-12-2024 at 01:18 AM.
Shucking5230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 06:16 AM   #32
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
Delete that KPP cr*p. Amazon is the one that has issues, it is not your fault. Delete the files.

To confirm if OTA renamer did its job use Terminal Emulator within KOReader and execute this command:

Code:
ls /usr/bin | grep -i ota
And that should list 2 files with was is ".bck" extension?
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 09:55 AM   #33
Shucking5230

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Delete that KPP cr*p. Amazon is the one that has issues, it is not your fault. Delete the files.

To confirm if OTA renamer did its job use Terminal Emulator within KOReader and execute this command:

Code:
ls /usr/bin | grep -i ota
And that should list 2 files with was is ".bck" extension?
yes!
there's otaupd.bck and otav3.bck

btw is it alright if I used this instead: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=357438 ? The blocking device logging interests me.

Last edited by Shucking5230; 05-12-2024 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-12-2024, 12:13 PM   #34
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
You would first need to revert changes you already made (by using the "restore" button from existing KUAL extension).

I don't care about logging so I never tested that other extension.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 12:10 AM   #35
Shucking5230

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
You would first need to revert changes you already made (by using the "restore" button from existing KUAL extension).

I don't care about logging so I never tested that other extension.
I think its a good extension. "Block OTA Updates" button turns to "Restore OTA Updates" after usage.

BTW do you use hosts file to block updates. I read the following URL : firs-ta-g7g.amazon.com can be further used to block updates but that was a posted 2 years ago so cant tell if there are more URLs.
Old 05-13-2024, 02:42 AM   #36
hondabf
Paranoid Monster
hondabf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shucking5230 View Post
yes!
there's otaupd.bck and otav3.bck

btw is it alright if I used this instead: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=357438 ? The blocking device logging interests me.
BinaryRemover is actually a great alternative to OTArenamer, but if you're planning to update or reset your Kindle in the future, you have to make sure to revert the changes within the extension menu (turn device logging and updates back on) or else, the hotfix/jailbreak re-installation process will get a little bit tricky.

You can also deny the Kindle access to WiFi through your modem firewall settings, though, if that works.
hondabf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 07:49 AM   #37
Shucking5230

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondabf View Post
You can also deny the Kindle access to WiFi through your modem firewall settings, though, if that works.
Unfortunately my routers pretty old. Just checked, doesn't seem to have something I could use to deny access to WiFi.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:38 AM   #38
jlinear
Connoisseur
jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Aura One, Libra 2, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shucking5230 View Post
Unfortunately my routers pretty old. Just checked, doesn't seem to have something I could use to deny access to WiFi.
On my router (Asus) I go into "Wireless" settings and there is a tab labelled "Wireless MAC Filter." You can reject connections based on MAC address. Works fine on my Kindles.
jlinear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downgrade firmware, firmware downgrade