View Single Post
Old 01-27-2024, 10:18 AM   #6
RWTS
Enthusiast
RWTS began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I was running errands on the other side of town last weekend. There was a Barnes & Noble in the plaza where I stopped for lunch, so I decided to check it out for old time's sake (I stopped buying paper books years ago). This is a newer store that opened in the past year or two. It was a Saturday afternoon and only a handful of people were browsing.

First, if I hadn't known it was a B&N, I'd never have known it from the inside. It was very different from every other one I've been in, from size to layout to signage. No media section, no big toy section. Just a few Lego sets, board games and jigsaw puzzles in one area.

The reference/nonfiction selection was very limited. The bulk of the books were fiction paperbacks and softcovers. Hardcovers for new releases. No bargain section that I saw (which was always the first area I'd hit up).

What really surprised me was this location doesn't stock Nooks, despite the website showing the GL4 and GL4e being available. A very nice employee apologized for the glitch and told me this location has never stocked Nooks. She advised me of another location that would have them in stock and offered to phone yet another store that should have them to confirm availability.

Considering B&N did a complete refresh of their Nook line recently, with the GL4, 4e and GL4 Plus, in addition to what seemed to be the popular limited edition pink version, I can't believe they don't have even one model on site for curiosity's sake and on the fence buyers.

With the GL4 Plus backordered until May 31, I half-expect that date to get pushed back and for it to just fade away.

I've been reading doom and gloom stories about B&N for years, but for the first time I'm wondering how much longer they'll survive. I readily admit I'd never buy a paper book from them at full retail price (makes me part of the problem, right? ). I'd like to get a GL4 Plus, but I'd need a good sale (I purchased all my Nooks on sale)... if they ever do return.
RWTS is offline   Reply With Quote