View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 12:08 AM   #16
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Aung Kyaw Kyaw: Yes, in both Plato & KOReader's case. As for the download issue, would GitHub happen to be blocked in your current location? If so, can you access the actual ZIP packages themselves? If you can, try this link instead.

@favero_: KFMon is bundled in these packages, so, no, it's a single step, that was the whole point .

PDF is going to be painful, no matter which way you cut it . It's probably going to come down to personal preference and the type of content you read. I thankfully don't have to read PDFs, so I'm free from this dilemma .
Plato is younger, free of a lot of legacy baggage and very promising; KOReader was initially born around PDF use-cases; so, try both, and see what works for you .
After all, that's also what all this is about: choice .

If you want to uninstall KOReader or Plato, it's as simple as wiping the relevant folder under .adds (which basically just saves you storage space. When they're not in use, they're completely inert. The only thing that's active in the background is KFMon, and it should only be taking up a whopping couple MB of RAM at worse, other than that, it's basically sitting pretty until something happens to one of the files it's looking over, and the task of doing the watching is relegated to the kernel, so it is in fact literally doing nothing ^^).
Speaking of KFMon, there's an uninstaller package available in the KFMon thread (whose link can be found in the first post).

Nothing should ever affect your actual content in a destructive manner (unless you want to: which OTOH should be limited to baking PDF annotations in), so my recommendations are generally the same as the ones from the KFMon thread if you want to be extra-safe: backup your Nickel database & settings, something which the Kobo Utilities plugin for Calibre happens to automate .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-11-2019 at 12:25 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote