View Single Post
Old 03-24-2024, 06:53 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
they is not willing to get involved in trying to help those who are not showing any evidence of a willingness to do some of the work themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jist View Post
Apart from the grammatical mistake in that sentence, and the dubious assumptions you are making about this fellow Calibre user who is just asking an honest question, why do you feel the need to respond in such a condescending manner to awakil?
Grammar error? Another grammar Nazi heard from.

I used they instead of he/she and when using they as a singular, there is a some disagreement about whether to use plural or singular verb forms. I used the singular form to match my use of the singular they. The plural form may sound more correct since that is what most English speaking people are used to hearing but 'are' is defined as a plural form and it is grammatically incorrect to use with a singular pronoun. That might depend on whether you are a fan of prescriptive or descriptive grammar rules. Of course, given that most English language rules tend to have more exceptions that conforming entries, that may not be of much help.

Any other questions from the grammar police?

Condescending? The @awakil suggested that the response that was received was being understood as a refusal to help based on how their reading of @theducks' sig. Perhaps you should have quoted the entire first paragraph of my reply where I was attempting to expand on @theducks attitude towards helping?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote