View Single Post
Old 03-10-2024, 10:00 PM   #27
VulcanRidr
VulcanRidr began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Era Stardust Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by nem_mil View Post
I wonder if anybody else finds this to be the case? Also, I am curious to know what are considered to be the advantages of Pocketbook over their largest competitors? Thanks!
I have had my Era for almost a year and a half, and I am completely happy with it. It is my first e-paper reader, I used to read on my Nokia N900, but my eyes aren't getting any younger.

So some of the features that appealed to me are:
  • Does not have an "ecosystem". Kindle forces you to use amazon's proprietary DRMed format. Even kobo only allows you to listen to kobo-branded audiobooks. I have hundreds of un-DRMed epubs, and a good number of mp3 based audiobooks.
  • The pocketbook has a decent text-to-speech, so even if I am doing something like meal prep, I can listen to books , even if I am not reading them.
  • Battery life is decent, a couple of weeks if reading only, a could of days if listening text-to-speech.

The only downside for me is that I was trying to buy a QI wireless charging case off amazon, and after a month past due, they canceled it. Supply chain problems...

Overall, I am very pleased with the Pocketbook. I have koreader on it, but am still figuring it out.
VulcanRidr is offline   Reply With Quote