View Single Post
Old 03-21-2024, 08:33 PM   #1
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Latest Glowlight 4 Plus update: USB debugging is password protected!

I'm starting this thread to bring to more people's attention something that @gforgiraffe39935 pointed out in another thread.

It has been possible to enable USB debugging - and thus enable ADB access, the ability to sideload launchers and apps, and to root the device - by finding a door that B&N left unlocked. On my Glowlight 4 Plus, I click my name on the upper left of the display, select App Settings, then on the bottom right, tap th arrow to bring me to page 2, then tap About. A few quick taps on the Nook icon just above "Check For System Update" brings up a new window with options such as "Android Development Settings" and "Allow Debugging". Either option would allow me to enable USB debugging.

Now, however, tapping on either option brings up a popup window asking me for a password. A password that I do not know. No, it's not my account password!

Because I already have another launcher installed, I can access development settings in another way, This change won't affect me. However, anyone from now on who buys a Glowlight 4 Plus (and other EInk Nooks?) will not be able to enable USB debugging unless the password can be found or some other way can be found to circumvent this.

Most users might not even notice this, but it is another missed and bungled opportunity for B&N and Nook. What they should be doing is getting more use out of their Android firmware, not less. They could easily up the hardware just a bit, give it a newer version of Android, and offer a curated app store with apps that are certified to work well with the EInk Nooks. That would give Nook a niche market that neither Kindle nor Kobo has. But no...

So... is it possible to get around the new password requirement for the sake of people who may buy Nooks in the near future? Is it possible that the folks at Nook might see the light - or even a little light - someday?
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote