View Single Post
Old 12-07-2023, 10:00 AM   #14
jviscosi
Connoisseur
jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Focus, Nook Glowlight 4/4+, Inkbook Obsidian, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWTS View Post
D'oh. I should have written every company wants us to use its mobile app.

Does anyone actually use the Microsoft store? It was supposed to compete with Google and Apple, but it's just.... sad. I haven't downloaded anything from there other than the Nook app. Which now makes me wonder if that's also a factor in B&N discontinuing it--lack of downloads.
I have, I have! I didn't want to, but I had to, because the only ways to get the app in question were from the Microsoft Store or from something called "Gumroad". Gumroad is apparently legit, but I thought it looked sketchy, and the user reviews of Gumroad didn't make me feel any better about it, and then I noticed the app cost twice as much there, and the app maker himself said he recommended getting it from the Microsoft store. So then I had the problem of actually getting that to work, because the way to buy it from the Microsoft store was to download the free version and then use the in-app purchase function of the app to upgrade to the paid version; but every time I clicked on the in-app purchase, the Microsoft Store would open a pop-up inside the app, say "Please wait", and then spin for a minute before rendering a white screen with no way to proceed. I tried:
  • Rebooting
  • Running a repair on the app itself
  • Running a repair on the MS Store app
  • Uninstalling the app itself and the MS App store and reinstalling both of them
  • Signing out of the MS App store and signing back in
  • Signing completely out of my MS account in the store and the computer and then signing back in

After the last thing, I was finally able to complete the upgrade to the paid version of the app, but, man, that was about the least seamless app purchasing experience I've ever had. I don't think I'll be doing it again.
jviscosi is offline   Reply With Quote